VERY slow boots and shutdowns

Using 11.2 on self-built pc with AMD 9950 on Asus M3n78 Pro mobo. Boot drive is sata, with an external ntfs 1.5 tb USB/firewire/externalSATA connection (using USB at the moment.) nVidia 9800 GT video card (8300 gt on mobo.)

It takes literally hours to boot up and more hours to shutdown this system. Any ideas how to fix this? I’m at the point I am ready to hit hardware reset to continue. This is the 5th cycle with the same problem recurring each time, except sometimes boot occurs in a normal amount of time, but shutdown/reboot always takes hours.

Thanks.

On 04/19/2010 06:46 PM, ainut wrote:
>
> Using 11.2 on self-built pc with AMD 9950 on Asus M3n78 Pro mobo. Boot
> drive is sata, with an external ntfs 1.5 tb USB/firewire/externalSATA
> connection (using USB at the moment.) nVidia 9800 GT video card (8300
> gt on mobo.)
>
> It takes literally hours to boot up and more hours to shutdown this
> system. Any ideas how to fix this? I’m at the point I am ready to hit
> hardware reset to continue. This is the 5th cycle with the same problem
> recurring each time.

Is that USB disk your only one? If so, that is the problem. If you have
a SATA disk attached, then check your cable. You should also boot one of
the Live CDs and check the transfer rates to/from your disks. Even if
your CPU is slow and does not have much memory, it should be faster than
that. My 333 MHz CPU with 64 MB RAM only takes about 2 minutes to boot.
Of course, that one doesn’t run X.

As I said originally, the boot drive is SATA. System booted fine on that drive with prior versions of Linux and even winblows (until winblows started telling me my copy is not validated, which is a blatant lie.) But thanks anyway.

On Mon April 19 2010 10:36 pm, ainut wrote:

>
> As I said originally, the boot drive is SATA. System booted fine on
> that drive with prior versions of Linux and even winblows (until
> winblows started telling me my copy is not validated, which is a blatant
> lie.) But thanks anyway.
>
>
ainut;

Are there any messages logged by smartd in /var/log/messages? It might pay
to replace the cable and make sure that both ends are firmly attached.
Cables are known to go bad or come loose.

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

I am wondering if this rather like the problem I have on another ASUS MB, a P5P800 SE, with a Pentium D processor. With this, the boot progress screen, immediately after grub launches the process, hangs with the progress bar stuck on the left. If you press Esc you then get the diagnostic boot progress screen that tells you that the OS is waiting for the USB ports (I think) and other devices to ‘settle down’. It then ‘resets’ twice at intervals of 120s before more or less declaring itself satisfied. Thereafter the boot up proceeds normally and quite quickly.

Other OS’s such as D.a.m.nSmallLinux, Haiku and BartPE installation/live CDs don’t have this problem. However, PartedMagic 4.5 does the same routine but longer (8 mins)

I twigged it might be something to do with the DVD drive and changed for another. OpenSUSE improved whilst PartedMagic became un-bootable.

So no solution but only commiserations I guess.