VBoxNetAdpCtl error while adding new interface

Hello,

I am getting error “VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory”.
Using Virtualbox version 4.2.14.x.
Tried running sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup but ended with error shows up in /var/log =

akefile:181: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
Makefile:181: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

Any hints how can I solve this issue?

Regards,
Amey.

Did you install the kernel source files? I Normally suggest the following actions unless you have very limited disk space:

Open YaST / Software / Software Management - Select the View Button on the top left and pick Patterns. Now, you will see several Patterns listed and you want to select:

Development 

[X] Base Development
[X] Linux Kernel Development
[X] C/C++ Development

Then Press the Accept button on the bottom right and allow these applications to install.

Thank You,

The solution to the above error is to simply start up the vboxdrv service:

service vboxdrv start

There is no need to compile anything.

This my experience on my new opensuse 12.3 system.

Enter “systemctl enable vboxdrv” to have it start automatically on boot.

There is no need to compile anything.

But only if you use the openSUSE RPMs.

If you use the RPM from the virtualbox homepage, as the OP does apparently, you have to recompile the kernel module after each kernel upgrade.

This is not necessary. Installing the software from the openSUSE repos automatically does this. But it doesn’t start the service for you. So if you want to run virtualbox after installation without restarting your system or doing a telinit you have to start the service manually.

Correct.
But the OP apparently uses the version directly from Oracle. See his first post, if he would use the openSUSE RPMs, “vboxdrv setup” would give a warning that the kernel module will NOT be compiled because it’s packaged in binary form.

So it may be sufficient for him to start the vboxdrv service (I’m not sure if the start on boot is enabled for him).

But it could be he HAS to recompile the kernel module (with “vboxdrv setup”) to be able to start the service again.
And that’s what he was trying to do and asked about.