UTC Time Zone at Install

I am using OpenSuse 11.4. Is there any way we can break apart the time-zone and the language at install? The two are really separate entities. I would much rather just set it to UTC at install time since Windows is on my triple boot machines. Linux, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD set the hardware clock to UTC time. Windows sets the hardware clock to local-time. Ever notice your clock shifting all over the place between Windows & Linux if you use local time? If you use UTC you get rid of those problems. By dumping local-time and using UTC you also get rid of that insane DST (Daylight Saving Time) thrashing. Here is some time zone info:

NATO phonetic alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Time Zones

Actually, GMT has been replaced by UTC but you get the idea. For most people, GMT and UTC are roughly equivalent although the implementation is greatly different. All I know is that I am communicating with people all over the planet and setting my computer to UTC time from the outset is infinitely preferable. Don’t use a time zone to figure out what language setting you give to people. Many people in the Netherlands use English for example. Sailors use what ever they have and are all over the place. I also don’t even want local time at all because I utterly despise DST:

http://NoMoreDST.BlogSpot.com

I looked at your last TZ update 2012b-5920 and the problems of time zones & DST shifts hits you straight in the face. If you look at my blog you see that the iPhone had time problems not only once but twice in two successive years. By dumping all of that and using UTC time your life becomes blissful. Armenia finally got rid of DST? Congratulations! Chile cannot figure out what to do? Dump DST! Just shift to doing things an hour earlier in summer if needed but DO NOT CHANGE THE CLOCK! That way somebody not knowing when to do their time shift no longer affects the TZ data-base in all kinds of devices. You just shift to doing things earlier when you want to do it. But you still have problems with dual boot Windows / Linux systems until you dump the local tiime and use UTC. UTC is the only way to compute. You learn to add / sutract for your local time in a hurry, even if you have to put up with the insanity called DST. Duh, now I subtract six hours instead of seven. Done, it is now 20:56 local time. But all that malware I catalog and almost everything else is done in UTC time. Thank God.
:slight_smile:

I’m not quite sure what you are asking there.

On the install screen - the one for setting time zone - there’s a box you can check that says something like “Hardware clock is set to UTC”. I set that.

There are some settings for the Windows registry that tell Windows to use the clock set to UTC. That seems to mostly work in Win7 and Vista, but might not work with XP. I am also using that setting. I haven’t checked recently, but Windows did sometimes get confused with those settings if you allow Windows to set internet time. So I update the clock only in linux.

With those settings, everything works fine here.

On 2012-03-14 04:06, hhhobbit wrote:
>
> I am using OpenSuse 11.4. Is there any way we can break apart the
> time-zone and the language at install?

They are not related.

There is a box where you select language, another for keyboard, and a map
to select timezone. All three are independent. Have you not seen it?

In fact, you can use different timezones for different users in the same
machine. A Linux feature, the internal clock is UTC (to exact, seconds
since the /epoch/).

This is different from the setting that ask whether the cmos clock is set
to local or utc time.

> The two are really separate
> entities. I would much rather just set it to UTC at install time since
> Windows is on my triple boot machines. Linux, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD set
> the hardware clock to UTC time. Windows sets the hardware clock to
> local-time. Ever notice your clock shifting all over the place between
> Windows & Linux if you use local time? If you use UTC you get rid of
> those problems. By dumping local-time and using UTC you also get rid of
> that insane DST (Daylight Saving Time) thrashing. Here is some time
> zone info:

The problem is having windows show UTC too.

> Chile cannot figure out what to do? Dump DST! Just shift to doing
> things an hour earlier in summer if needed but DO NOT CHANGE THE CLOCK!

Oh gosh, I fully agree with that! :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)