Using Yast2 to update kernel

Hello All,

I really hope to get response for this one.I am a newbie and a little lost. I have to upgrade my kernel from version 2.6.25.11-0.1 paeto 2.6.25.18-0.2 pae

Do tell me the steps. I have Yast and there I see System Backup with an automatic option.

I assume I have to run this and keep a backup and after this use rpm -i command and install the downloaded new kernel package and then restart system. Is this enough??

Also, should I make changes to /boot/ folder and change grub menu?

Is there any link in this kernel to help do this step by step??

Please help!!

A lot depends on what version of openSUSE you are using and what is already installed. openSUSE will have installed the most appropriate kernel for your system at the time and, as long as you have the repositories enabled, will update it whenever necessary.

The only straightforward way of changing to a new kernel is to install a later version of openSUSE (perhaps after changing your hardware).

Otherwise, you will need to do all the necessary work yourself by installing the development tools.

If you go this route, don’t delete the existing kernel but add a separate entry in GRUB for your new kernel so that, if things don’t work out, you can revert to the original kernel.

I have OpenSUSE 11.0 running.

Thanks.

If possible can you tell me how to go about installing the kernel bypassing Yast?

How do I take the system backup on a DVD with Yast2?

Try this link
Opensuse Kernel Howto - openSUSE Forums

Do a system backup to your hard disk and then use K3b to copy it to your DVD. Easier than trying to do it in one go.