using smarthost with postfix

Hello,

I’m trying to use my ISP’s smarthost with postfix to send mail. It’s not working, and I tried gmail’s smtp too, to no avail.

I have followed these instructions:
braiden.org

and previously attempted this with my ISP:
Postfix Configure Client SMTP Authentication ( Smarthost Authentication )

I’m trying to get this working in order to run mailman this way (as I have no mail server):
Running GNU Mailman at home

So for the gmail smtp, I did:

add this line in sasl_passwd:

smtp.gmail.com    [EMAIL="xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com"]xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com[/EMAIL]:password
postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
postfix reload
echo "To: [EMAIL="xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com"]xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com[/EMAIL]" | /usr/lib/sendmail -t

I keep getting those in /var/log/mail:

postfix/error[8140]: 146464A1FE: to=<xxxxxxxx@gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=2203, delays=2203/0.01/0/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2a00:1450:4013:c01::1a]:25: Network is unreachable)
connect to alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[173.194.66.26]:25: Connection timed out

trying to send mail to my yahoo mail account, similar results:

connect to mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[66.196.118.34]:25: Connection timed out

Hummm… maybe the configuration ought to be different with opensuse? Those pages cited above were written for ubuntu/debian. For instance, I tried a main.cf file for Debian and postfix reported lots of issues!

Actually I tried on another machine with opensuse, on which I did not touch postfix since the install, and attempting to send an email gives me the exact same message in the log.

Thank you. And note that I am rather novice with postfix and friends, as of writing this.

running opensuse 12.2, x86_64

On 2013-07-19 05:46, p barill wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to use my ISP’s smarthost with postfix to send mail. It’s
> not working, and I tried gmail’s smtp too, to no avail.

If I understand correctly what a smarthost is, postfix would send ALL
email there with the same authentication. IMHO, that will not work.

You need postfix as normal setup, but with sender based auth, which is
what I use.

> I’m trying to get this working in order to run mailman this way (as I
> have no mail server):

Huh? Postfix is a mail server, so you do have a mail server.

> ‘Running GNU Mailman at home’ (http://tinyurl.com/8qd2h8b)

Mailman is a mail list manager. Why do you need it? I’m baffled.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Agreed,
Sounds like you’re biting off more than you can chew.

Try describing what your actual objective is in plain words, then list the apps you’re trying to configure to achieve your goals.

BTW - The errors you posted are fundamental networking errors, stuff that would have to be resolved before you can even consider authentication to whatever.

And terminology… The definition of a SMTP smarthost is simply a standalone relay that accepts SMTP message inputs, then passes them along.

TSU