Using nvidia driver on kernel 6.3.0-lp154.4 from Sauerland's Hardware Repo

Using 6.3.0-lp154.4 and @Sauerland’s hardware repo (kernel-firmware-all), how do I switch from nouveau to nvidia driver?

Nouveau currently works, but I keep getting notification about the current display driver not having hardware acceleration etc. [I’ll update the answer with a screenshot later]

I’m thinking this
a. add ‘nomodeset’ in /etc/default/grub in “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT”
b. create a blacklist.conf for nouveau under /etc/modprobe.d &
c. regenerate initrd

Thoughts?

Here is the description how to install and activate the drivers:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

Just install from NVIDIA repo. is easiest You don’t need to do anything else.

Kernel is from kernel:stable:backports, so easiest way is to install “the hard way”.

@HonestAbe
But before please show:
/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -EiA3 'display|3d|vga'

@Sauerland

# lspci -nnk | grep -EiA3 'display|3d|vga'
08:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GA106 [GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate] [10de:2504] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device [19da:4630]
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
	Kernel modules: nouveau

Also, yeah, I am referring to “the hard way” wiki, but as I understand, the only reason we are using nomodeset and dropping to multiuser.target /runlevel 3 is to actually install the nvidia.sh script.

Since I do not need to install the .sh NVIDIA installer, how do I go about it ?
its very late in my country (about 1 am as I type this) otherwise I would have given it a shot.

Secure boot is disabled.

# zypper se -si *nvidia*
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                   | Type    | Version            | Arch   | Repository
---+------------------------+---------+--------------------+--------+-------------------
i+ | kernel-firmware-nvidia | package | 20230406-lp154.6.1 | noarch | Sauerland-hardware

Once more:
Do you need the Nvidia Driver?

If no, let the nouveau do his thing.

Did not notice it was a nonstandard kernel Hard way is not hard at all just down load the installer for NVIDIA be sure you have the kernel headers and c compiler mark it executable and run it.

The error message I’m trying to get rid of is this -

I’m going to test it out. The system is fairly new, backups are good.

I guess I’ll let u know my experiences in a bit :slight_smile:

TL;DR: Didn’t work.

I installed these packages. Had to set higher priority(lower integer) to “kernel_stable_backport”
to make it work. Also backed up the initrd file so that the damage would not be a deal breaker.

# zypper se -si kernel-devel kernel-source

S  | Name          | Type    | Version                  | Arch   | Repository
---+---------------+---------+--------------------------+--------+-----------------------
i+ | kernel-devel  | package | 6.3.0-lp154.4.1.g48306c1 | noarch | kernel_stable_backport
i+ | kernel-devel  | package | 5.14.21-150400.22.1      | noarch | Main Repository
i+ | kernel-source | package | 6.3.0-lp154.4.1.g48306c1 | noarch | kernel_stable_backport

# zypper se -t pattern devel_C_C++
Retrieving repository 'Sauerland-hardware' metadata ...................................................................................................[done]
Building repository 'Sauerland-hardware' cache ........................................................................................................[done]

S  | Name        | Summary           | Type
---+-------------+-------------------+--------
i+ | devel_C_C++ | C/C++ Development | pattern

The .sh installer complained about missing headers.

A web search told me that this issue has been present since 2011 at least. None of the threads I visited had a definitive answer for this. Basically people tried a bunch of stuff and couldn’t confirm which worked. (I wonder why nobody tried a rpm -qf on those header files!!)

Some threads suggested kernel-default-devel might have the answer, but in the backports repo that package does not exist for my current kernel version.

Available was kernel-default-devel-6.3.0-lp154.6.1.g82a9ddf.
And I needed kernel-default-devel-6.3.0-lp154.4.g48306c1…

I could have updated the system, but realised that it was just easier to take @Sauerland 's advise and live with Nouveau for now. Maybe when I update the kernel some 2/3 months down the line, I’ll give it another go.

After all there can’t be enough cpu load to bog down a 5800x, and nouveau was working anyway.

Now that I have tried and failed, I at least feel better !!

Thanks everyone for your help and inputs. :slight_smile:

You need kernel-syms (that will install both kernel-devel packages), make, gcc

But I have had troubles with nvidia because they were not patched for a new kernel-version, so I would decide to stay on nouveau…

Available was kernel-default-devel-6.3.0-lp154.6.1.g82a9ddf.
And I needed kernel-default-devel-6.3.0-lp154.4.g48306c1…

That is also an problem, because the new kernel-default is stuck in build for days…
devel and source are build in first, with these the kernel is build…

1 Like

Also you have to update to get the new kernel and start after this…