How to Connect a MTP (specifically a Nexus 7) Device in KDE (openSUSE 12.3)**

Please make sure you have the following packages installed:

android-tools
kio_mtp
libesmtp
mtpfs
libmtp9

Connect your Nexus 7 and connect as MTP: MTP CONNECT

In Dolphin the device is shown as Portable Media Player: Nexus showing in Dolphin

Note: For older versions of openSUSE (EG 12.2), the package android-tools is available in the following repo:
Index of /repositories/hardware/openSUSE_12.2

Hi there. I followed your instructions and can see the Nexus 7 as a Portable Media Player in Dolphin. I can open and view files, but I cannot drag and drop or paste any files into the device from the laptop. It either hangs on the operation and I have to quit it, or sometimes offers an error message saying the operation is not supported.

I’m running openSUSE 12.3 KDE 64 bit. Thanks for your help.

It seems installing go-mtpfs from the openSUSE Build Service has done the trick. I can now quickly and easily move files to and from the Nexus and the Linux laptop. The only thing I’m missing now is an option in either Dolphin or via the system tray to safely remove the device. However, on balance I’ll take this over nothing.

Thanks for your article, and please keep us posted on any updates. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kinzie;bt714]It seems installing go-mtpfs from the openSUSE Build Service has done the trick. I can now quickly and easily move files to and from the Nexus and the Linux laptop. The only thing I’m missing now is an option in either Dolphin or via the system tray to safely remove the device. However, on balance I’ll take this over nothing.

Thanks for your article, and please keep us posted on any updates. :)[/QUOTE]

Since this seems to be a useful package for Android owners, I’ve added it to devel:languages:go repo and updated it to the latest github version. In the long run, if this proves stable and popular for mounting Android devices I’ll make a submit request to Factory.

For openSUSE 12.3 the repo is:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/go/openSUSE_12.3/

Sadly… My Vibrant SGH-T959 running ICS 4.0.4 here is simply refusing to see my Samsung’s ‘internal’ sdcard at all. It auto-mounts my ‘external’ sdmicro sdcard as it always has…

I have so far exhausted all recommendations including:

zypper in android-tools kio_mtp libesmtp mtpfs libmtp9

…and following this thread’s implied zypper in go-mtpfs etc to current packages installed state:

~ # zypper se -i mtp
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S | Name | Summary | Type
–±-------------±---------------------------------------------------±-------
i | go-mtpfs | Mount MTP devices over FUSE | package
i | kio-mtp | MTP KIO Slave | package
i | kio_mtp | Access MTP devices in KDE | package
i | libesmtp | A Library for Posting Electronic Mail | package
i | libmtp-devel | Development files for access to MTP Player library | package
i | libmtp9 | Library for accessing MTP Players | package
i | mtp-tools | Commandline utilities for access to MTP Players | package
i | mtpfs | FUSE filesystem that supports MTP devices | package

any clues much much appreciated… for now Airdroid is temp work around but sincerely miss fast USB Mass Storage access? THANKS Lizards ‘n’ Geekos!

Yeah the whole thing has stopped working for me too. Real shame that support for these devices is so poor in Linux. I get very annoyed that it just works in Windows!

Hopefully a solution will present itself soon. Thanks to all for your posts and info.