usbip errors on opensuse 11.1

Hello!

Help me please: I need to use usbip to work with the webcam from another computer. But when I installed (using YaST) usbip and launch this, I see errors:

usbipd

usbip err: stub_server.c: 433 (do_standalone_mode) open usb.ids
usbip err: stub_driver.c: 33 (open_sysfs_stub_driver) usbip_common_mod.ko and usbip.ko must be loaded

** ERROR **: driver open failed
aborting…
Emergency shutdown

usbip

usbip err: vhci_attach.c: 586 (main ) open usb.ids
Usage: usbip [options]

Please, Help me… I just started to use Linux and do not understand how to solve this problem. And sorry for my bad English.

I think is missing some library/component. Did you install it via Yast? in Yast there is a menu to verify if the package is missing a library. try that and post

YaST said “All packages depending satisfied”.
I think I need to install modules usbip_common_mod.ko and usbip.ko, but where do I find them. And how “open usb.ids”?

To load modules, use the modprobe command, such as:

modprobe usbip

This should actually be sufficient to load both of those modules, as the usbip_common_mod module is a dependency of the usbip module and modprobe is smart enough to resolve dependencies and load them if required.

You should also be able to get these modules to load automagically at boot time. I’m not sure of the exact mechanism used in OpenSUSE. Usually there is a file somewhere in the /etc hierarchy that lists the modules to be loaded at boot time. For example, Gentoo uses /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and Ubuntu uses /etc/modules.

As for the other error, about “open usb.ids”, I’m actually looking for a resolution to that, but I’ll post one here shoudl I find it. I’m having trouble with my Canon scanner not working over USB/IP and am getting the same error when I bind the driver on my server machine. In the absence of anything else to go on, I’m working ont he assumption that it’s something to do with this error.

Brettski :slight_smile:

usb.ids is a file that the usbipd server process is trying to open. I have not figured out what details it expects to be in there, yet, however, the default location for it seems to be /usr/share/hwdata/usb.ids. It seems to contain information about vendor ids and such for different USB devices. I’m not sure if it’s crucial to correct operation, however, the file can be obtained within the usbip sources in the src directory. If you don’t have the sources, you can find them at Browse The USB/IP Project Files on SourceForge.net. I also noticed that the Makefile that comes with the sources doesn’t install this file properly, either, so that may be why most distributions aren’t doing this, either.

That said, I still haven’t got my scanner working via usbip, which is kinda annoying. I’m going back to the USB/IP project’s forums to see if I can get answers there.

Brettski :slight_smile:

I found this link on how to use usbip on 11.2. I am on 11.3 and I am able to get it working with my scanner but only as root.

When I run usbip -p as a user I see the scanner but host and port are listed as unknown. Root shows the host and port number. When I run lsusb as a user I see two hubs, root lists three hubs and the scanner.

I also need to write startup scripts for boot.

Dave W

How To Set Up A USB-Over-IP Server And Client With OpenSUSE 11.2 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

As user

usbip -p
** (process:28935): WARNING **: running non-root?
8 ports available

usbip err: vhci_attach.c: 118 (read_record ) fopen
usbip err: vhci_attach.c: 145 (usbip_vhci_imported_device_dump) red_record
Port 00: <Port in Use> at Full Speed(12Mbps)
Hewlett-Packard : ScanJet 6300c (03f0:0601)
3-1 -> usbip://unknown host:unknown port/�O���� (remote devid 00030002 (bus/dev 003/002))
3-1:1.0 used by unknown
Port 01: <Port Available>
Port 02: <Port Available>
Port 03: <Port Available>
Port 04: <Port Available>
Port 05: <Port Available>
Port 06: <Port Available>
Port 07: <Port Available>

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

As Root

usbip -p
8 ports available

Port 00: <Port in Use> at Full Speed(12Mbps)
Hewlett-Packard : ScanJet 6300c (03f0:0601)
3-1 -> usbip://hagar:3240/3-2 (remote devid 00030002 (bus/dev 003/002))
3-1:1.0 used by unknown
Port 01: <Port Available>
Port 02: <Port Available>
Port 03: <Port Available>
Port 04: <Port Available>
Port 05: <Port Available>
Port 06: <Port Available>
Port 07: <Port Available>

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub