USB printing slows after suspend(maybe)

I am running 12.3/KDE4.10.3 on a recent HP DV7T Laptop
I have an HPC4200 printer that auto configured when first plugged in.
The driver loaded is hpcups 3.12.11. I uses YAST-Printer to manage the interface.
When first set up, test page and printing worked fine and at what I consider to be ‘normal’ speed.

After sleep (STR) and subsequent awakening, printing slows to a crawl - one row of output every 5 to 7 seconds or so.
The printout is correct, just slow.

I have noted that removing the USB cable from PC and plugging in to a different port seems to correct the issue.

So I get the feeling that the USB driver (or ?) is not properly recovering from STR.

Any debug suggestions?
Is there a CLI command to reset or restart the USB interface, as a check?

I can’t rule out a printer issue, have only this laptop to experiment with.
Power cycling the printer does not help.

A couple of ideas to try:

1. Some laptops have BIOS settings for USB powersaving behaviour. It might be worth looking there first.

2. You should be able to observe/capture kernel messages relating to usb communication. When you’re experiencing this behaviour, Open a terminal window and execute

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

then send a print job and observe the output. (Ctrl-Z to terminate). If you need to share the output, cut and paste it, and upload to SUSE Paste

Share the link to it here.

Is there a CLI command to reset or restart the USB interface, as a check?

There is code to do so, but it would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and not solving the underlying cause (which may require a bug report to be submitted).

However, here is a couple of many discussions on this subject:

Resetting USB device in Linux

Resetting the USB Bus under linux - ClearChain

The former can be used to reset a particular connected device, whereas the latter resets all USB attached controllers. (I’ve tried both successfully in the past). They’re not hard to compile assuming you have the required libraries installed.

Thanks, Deano, I will try some more scenarios tomorrow.

I agree with the sledgehammer comment, but see removing and re-installing the USB cable as a “similar” drastic measure.

Today I had a somewhat different experience, now leading me to wonder about the driver itself.

After a USB reset (pull, reinsert), I got a “normal” printout, then subsequent attempts were not only slow, but highly inaccurate, with missing colors and multiple page ejections.
It may not be STR (sleep) related as I thought.

Still playing

FWIW, it might pay to review the following support document too

Slow Printing in Windows: Hardware Issues | HP® Support

*It assumes Windows OS, but it’s not Windows-specific.

Thanks for the HP reference, however it appears to be power supply focused and was no help.

What has worked for me , so far, is to change to the following driver:

HP Photosmart c4200 Series hpijs, 3.12.11

So far, this is working well for me and seems faster after some simple tests.

Well, it’s often a challenge to try to diagnose someone else’s technical issue when the hardware is not at hand, (and I have never experienced such an issue anyway), so all I can do is point you at likely leads.

What has worked for me , so far, is to change to the following driver:

HP Photosmart c4200 Series hpijs, 3.12.11

So far, this is working well for me and seems faster after some simple tests.

Thanks for sharing what worked for you, as it may be helpful to others some time in the future. :slight_smile: