USB live media boot error

That doesn’t have a lot to do with UEFI. A non-UEFI user also benefits from a hybrid partition.

I doubt that the use of “parted” has much effect on boot time. I’m not sure how the hybrid partition was created in, say, opensuse 11.4 or 12.1 – maybe “fdisk” was used in a script, instead of “parted”.

The bulk of the cost of creating the hybrid partition is most likely due to having to run “mkfs” after “parted” has finished its job.

If you use the “live-fat-stick” to create your USB, then there won’t be a hybrid partition created. However, you also won’t be able to do a UEFI boot.

Yes, for sure. But all the problem was about doing isohybrid on it. After all, I’m talking about something that the instruction says not to do :stuck_out_tongue:
As a matter of fact, a <CTRL> + F “instruction” on the official download page gives 0 hit.

If this page ( http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick) is what you meant as instruction, it does mention not to use unetbootin, but not isohybrid. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to add that. I tried, but it say I need to validate my account. But its already validated. Do I need some other previleges ?

That would be because “unetbootin” is an alternative some people use, that allows having multiple iso images on a FAT file system on one bootable USB. But “unetbootin” does not seem to work properly with opensuse.

Sorry, I’m no help with that. Maybe someone who is able to look at account information will find this thread.

On 2014-02-23 15:36, aurabindo wrote:

> If this page ( http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick) is what you
> meant as instruction, it does mention not to use unetbootin, but not
> isohybrid. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to add that. I tried, but it say I
> need to validate my account. But its already validated. Do I need some
> other previleges ?

+++··············

www.opensuse.org → get it → More information on creating a bootable
USB stick → en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick

Version: 12.2+This applies to openSUSE 12.2 and above

Warning Do not try to apply procedures found in internet for other
distributions “to convert the images into bootable sticks”. Doing that
will break the images. The openSUSE images are already prepared for
being used directly on usb sticks, no further steps are needed.

··············+±

You are right, there is no specific mention of isohybrid. Just a generic
warning at the top not do anything to the iso. There was an isohybrid
paragraph for versions before 12.2., I think. When 12.2 went out of
support, I suppose the isohybrid paragraph was just deleted.

You need authentication to write things on the wiki, but it is the same
as on the forum. But, to avoid defacing, your changes have then to be
revised by a too small team of reviewers.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))