I am looking for anyone who might have seen and/or resolved this issue.
I have used versions of the TurboPrint Driver on openSUSE since perhaps 12.x.
Worked well with 13.2 and early on after migration to 42.1
TurboPrint driver is version 2.35-2
Recently, I have issues where a print job starts, proceeds perhaps 5 - 6%, then hangs.
Turboprint Printer Monitor reports Printer is disconnected.
Occasionally I can get one full page to print, but a follow on page will hang.
I can usually find some combination of power cycling the printer and/or disconnecting/reconnecting USB
that will unhang it for one more page, then hangs again.
I am wondering if some sort of incompatibility with recent USB driver updates has crept in here.
I started long enough ago with TurboPrint that there was no Guttenprint for Pro9000.
I have tried the more recent versions, still with little luck.
If anyone has had good luck with Guttenprint for Pro9000, please comment.
Perhaps I am just missing something.
I have posted at TurboPrint as well, no results as yet.
I am just guessing this is USB related, will dig into your reference, thanks.
Further down the debugging guide I linked to was a section dealing with Turboprint. (Just in case you hadn’t noticed it already.)
One known problem is that Turboprint currently ships with a Ghostscript clone based on a very old Ghostscript version, after which we have worked a lot with the original developers of Ghostscript to remove very many crash bugs. So if you have problems that certain (especially more complex) files do not print (and perhaps you find segmentation fault messages of “gszedo” in /var/log/syslog), proceed as follows:
Run the command:
A window, “Turboprint Control Center” will open. Click “Preferences” at the bottom of the window. In the dialog popping up now uncheck “Use Ghostscript with extensions for Turboprint”. Click “OK” in the dialog window and “Exit” in the main window.
This makes Turboprint using the current version of Ghostscript as shipped with Ubuntu, containing all the latest bug fixes.
I misread the Guide item, though checking the box was the best option.
So I re-read and of course you are correct.
I unchecked the box and have a couple cycles of successful printing so far.
I’ll report again in a couple days, but looks good for now.
But wait, there is more!
I failed to submit the above reply a few days back, and the printer hang returned on my next attempt.
Once the Holidaze wore off, I did receive a response on the Turboprint Forum, found here: http://www.turboprint.info/support/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2995
Following their recommendations, I found that I was using the USP Port (driver), not the enhanced TP-USB driver that maintains status messaging during the print cycle.
Running with the TP-USB driver has resolved my issue
I did request feedback from TurboPrint as to the continued validity of checking, or not checking, the “Use Ghostscript with extensions for Turboprint” item in the Control Center. For the moment, I am running OK with it unchecked.
I’ll update if/when a reply is posted.
Bottom line - this whole mess is likely due to a failure on my part to read the TurboPrint documentation w.r.t. TP-USB
Thanks for the update. It might be helpful to others who come searching for help using TurboPrint. Not being a TurboPrint user I wasn’t aware of the proprietary ‘tpu’ CUPS backend. Always a good idea to seek support from the vendor in cases like this.