USB Broken by OpenSUSE 11

(OpenSUSE 11.0 Newbie) I have the same problem. I have 2 USB cards in my computer, one is a 1.1USB Card that came with the CPU the second one is a 2.0 two port USB card that I purchased and installed.
Problem is that I installed the second 2.0USB card and when I plug in my usb flash drive nothing happens. There is a led indicator on my memory that lights when connected, but it doesn’t. I cant see the drive listed in ‘ls -l sd*’ But when I plug it into the 1.1 everything works. I can see the drive and access the files.
Perhaps am doing something wrong or I am missing something in order to install a new USB 2.0 Card on my CPU. Anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to rule out some newbie error?

Just to let everybody know, my case was bad hardware. My USB card was damaged. I did some troubleshooting on other computers and ended up concluding that my USB 2.0 card had gone bad. I replaced it with a new one and works perfectly. Good luck to people still having this issue.

I’ve just installed 11.0 and I have also problems with mounting of
usb devices ( different usb memory sticks and a usb hard disk).

They all worked fine under 10.2

This all happens in runlevel 3.
If I boot the system up to runlevel 5, the devices are mounted, all works.
This behavior is reproducible.

(Shurely not a big thing for a experienced developer.
I wanted to report it with bugzilla, but I gave it up after 2 hours, I could not handle it. Bugzilla seems to be a very efficient fire wall against the bad word outside :frowning:

This bug was solved by Novell. Solution:

Add snd-hda-intel to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.

For full history and diagnostics steps, see the bug report: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=411825

The basic idea is to find out which driver it taking away the addresses/interrupts from the USB controller.

• Itai

Same keyboard and mouse problems here. Everything works fine in Win XP and Ubuntu on this machine. All worked well in SuSE 11.0, but after an 11.1 upgrade, there are problems. The mouse stops reacting at times. If I hit the “delete” key to delete 1 message from my Evolution inbox, it will often delete all messages. I set my BIOS to set a 1 second delay between keystroke repeats which seemed to help.
My problem may relate to the fact that my specific model of wireless keyboard (Logitech LX 710) is not on the list of known keyboards.

Ok,ok my USB HD,Sticks,2x 4USB adopter is working perfect not only USB my Iomega 250 is working also.I have the new freespace mouse is usb never try out.
More luck may it works .:expressionless:

I have started checking other USB devices and find that many do not mount or connect correctly. They do show up with lsusb and fdisk -l but I am not able to access them. My APC backup connects on occasion. My Olympus camera is detected, but never connects. My USB stick is also detected, but not mounted. Hope they fix this soon. By the way, blacklisting the intel-snd driver did not make a difference.

Oh,oh I got one 4gb USB San Disk MicroMate SDHC and Travellite SD/MMC reader Hardware it works

rotfl!

purevw wrote:
> I have started checking other USB devices and find that many do not
> mount or connect correctly. They do show up with lsusb and fdisk -l but
> I am not able to access them. My APC backup connects on occasion. My
> Olympus camera is detected, but never connects. My USB stick is also
> detected, but not mounted. Hope they fix this soon. By the way,
> blacklisting the intel-snd driver did not make a difference.

Does your file /etc/fstab have a line like this:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs
auto,busgid=109,busmode=0775,devgid=109,devmode=0664 0 0

That should be all one line.

Larry

Hi, I also had a problem with oS11 and mounting fat32 memory sticks, seemed that the system did not detect them at all. I am not sure what cured it, but after week or so it was working again, so only thing I can do is suggest “Zypper ref && zypper up && zypper dup” with OSS, NON-OSS, Packman and Update repositories enabled (and nothing else).

Well, if ya’ll manage to figure out what the issue is, I would sure appreciate knowing about it. I cannot get 11.1 to recognize any usb flash drives, I had purchased a 16gb flash voyager right before upgrading, now it is virtually useless…works fine on 10.3 and SLED 102

lsusb
Bus 005 Device 010: ID 1b1c:0ab1
Bus 005 Device 009: ID 054c:031f Sony Corp.
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0557:7000 ATEN International Co., Ltd Hub
Bus 005 Device 007: ID 0557:2213 ATEN International Co., Ltd
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 04b3:4485 IBM Corp. Serial Converter
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics Fingerprint Reader
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a5c:2110 Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth Controller
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

i have same problem with usb flash drives (opensuse 11.1 ibm T40 laptop)

Partial solution for me is that usb drives are recognized IF they are attached during boot process. if i attach them when system is running, hd led just starts flashing and nothing happens (dmesg shows same bunch of errors mentioned earlier in this thread, so seems to be pretty common problem)

Translation Google.
Hi!
I had the same problem with the new printer under OpenSuse 11.0.
I managed to resolve it. BIOS USB EHCI Controller on the Disabled.
The printer has started to operate normally.
Shed in this way, however, USB 2.0.
Something is wrong with the openSUSE 11.0 and 11.1
Do not have that problem (checked) in Ubuntu 8.10 and Mandriva 2009.