USB boot produces "Machine Check Error"

Lately I’ve not been able to boot from USB live media - UEFI disabled - , though a USB FAT stick created with live-usb-stick works fine. Googling “Machine Check Error” tells me this happens more often on ASUS laptops. I’m sure it’s a hardware error. The weird thing is, that if I enable UEFI it does work (tested with 13.1 beta). I found one post where a user reported that he booted in Windows ( which I don’t have) and saw that a new device was detected, drivers installed. He then tried again to boot from the USB stick the system had previously refused to boot from, and it booted like expected ( he stated UEFI was disabled ).
Any of you ever seen this? Since I’m in the middle of testing some images I’m working on in SUSE Studio, this is quite annoying.
One of the things I thought about is whether this could be Bumblebee / NVIDIA related?

Knurpht wrote:
> Lately I’ve not been able to boot from USB live media - UEFI disabled -
> , though a USB FAT stick created with live-usb-stick works fine.
> Googling “Machine Check Error” tells me this happens more often on ASUS
> laptops. I’m sure it’s a hardware error. The weird thing is, that if I
> enable UEFI it does work (tested with 13.1 beta).

Have you got mcelog? Look in /var/log/mcelog

I didn’t, but I enabled mcelog, after editing /etc/mcelog/mcelog.conf to make it output the logfile to mentioned file. That’s generated now, but empty. From what I understand from ‘man mcelog’ it might contain info after a warm restart. Well, the only thing I can do, is switch off UEFI, attempt to boot from a USB device (mind, from a FAT stick prepared with live-usb-stick it does work on a non UEFI boot ) see the “Machine Check Error” wait and see it boot