Usb boot issue.

Hi guys,

I have a lenovo t540p with integrated intel graphics currently running windows 8 and I decided to move to a distro of linux, that being opensuse leap 42.1

Soo since I don’t have a cd drive I used a usb writer (rufus/win32/imagewriter (i used many) ) to get a copy and attempt to install.

So I put it into my laptop and I am prompted with a gfxboot.c32: not a COM32R image
boot:

I press tab and I’m given harddisk linux upgrade rescue mediachk memtest

I enter linux (I believe this is intstall) and I end up with this;
Loading linux…
loading intrd…ready
probing EDD (edd=off to disable)… ok

uncompression error
– system halted.

And I can’t get past it… I’ve re-imaged the usb a number of times, and to see if it works I put it into my desktop and I get no error (I get the splash screen and everything) the hash checks out too.

I’ve installed linux in the past… and I’ve had no problems however the main difference between the past instances were that the machine I was using had a dedicated graphics card, perhaps this may be an issue?

I did some good searching and many have suggested to reimage (which I did) to no avail.

If someone could give me a hand I’d appreciate it :slight_smile:

Regards,

Looks like the utility you’re using isn’t working.

Here are some alternate methods, look like both have been recently reviewed so should work. Although both describe creating an install image, IMO you should be able to install a LiveCD image instead.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Create_a_Live_USB_stick_using_Windows

TSU

Recent versions of “rufus” have a “dd image” mode. You should use that with rufus.

As far as I know, Lenovo systems should be fine installing from a USB. I used a USB to install on a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140. I’ve heard positive reports from others with Lenovo computers.

If this is a newish Lenovo, it probably has UEFI support. In that case, you should attempt to boot the USB in UEFI mode.

Methods for creating a bootable USB that rely on copying the iso image to a FAT file system will run into problems because the install iso is larger than the max filesize that FAT file systems support. I’m guessing that might be what happened in your attempt.

Hi,

I have the same nootbook and exactly the same problem. I created the bootable USB stick just by dd’ing the image onto the USB stick on the same machine I wanted to (re)install OpenSUSE 42.2 Leap. I hard switched off the notebook by pressing the power button a few seconds. Then booting up resulted in the issue you described. But I noticed that after booting into the already installed system and softly rebooting the machine the USB stick booted without any problems. So I think during the startup of the installed system something happened to the graphic cards that made the gfx boot possible? So I wonder if there is something that suse can do to make the boot working on those notebooks?

regards
Daniel

I wanted a bootable usb stick with an iso on it recently. It wasn’t opensuse but knoppix which I sometime use for maintenance work. However an iso is an iso. I used the dd method in linux but couldn’t get it to boot. I also had it on dvd and that provided an option to write a bootable usb stick. I did get that to boot but there was a secondary problem. BIOS settings.

What cab be seen in the BIOS boot order menu varies but in my case it turned out to be one with a blank line as the stick didn’t have a label. All other usb boot options had to be disabled.

John

Most likely you are using Legacy Boot instead of UEFI Boot!
For your Lenovo T540p press F12 during boot up and pick UEFI Boot off the USB stick.