USB 3G modem usb_odeswitch problem

Hello

Running OpenSuSE 12.3 with KDE on a Lenovo w530 with docking station I cannot get a Huawei E303 modem to be recognised. It shows up using lsusb as this:

When I plug it into the laptop directly everything works, I see it in the NetworkManager widget and can connect. lsusb reports this:Bus 002 Device 009: ID 12d1:1506 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E398 LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard
Note: it is not an E398 modem, it’s an E303

However plugging it into the docking station it does not appear in the NetworkManager widget. It’s own LED comes on indicating it finds a 3G network, but that’s it. lsusb reports this:Bus 002 Device 004: ID 17ef:100a Lenovo ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 12d1:14fe Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

When I run the following: usb_modeswitch -d -R -W -v 0x12d1 -p 0x14fe
I get:Taking all parameters from the command line

• usb_modeswitch: handle USB devices with multiple modes
  • Version 1.2.5 (C) Josua Dietze 2012
  • Based on libusb0 (0.1.12 and above)

! PLEASE REPORT NEW CONFIGURATIONS !

DefaultVendor= 0x12d1
DefaultProduct= 0x14fe
TargetVendor= not set
TargetProduct= not set
TargetClass= not set
TargetProductList=""

DetachStorageOnly=1
HuaweiMode=0
SierraMode=0
SonyMode=0
QisdaMode=0
GCTMode=0
KobilMode=0
SequansMode=0
MobileActionMode=0
CiscoMode=0
MessageEndpoint= not set
MessageContent=""
NeedResponse=0
ResponseEndpoint= not set

InquireDevice enabled (default)
Success check disabled
System integration mode disabled

Looking for default devices …
searching devices, found USB ID 8087:0024
searching devices, found USB ID 1d6b:0002
searching devices, found USB ID 17ef:1003
searching devices, found USB ID 046d:c52b
searching devices, found USB ID 147e:2020
searching devices, found USB ID 0a5c:21e6
searching devices, found USB ID 04f2:b2ea
searching devices, found USB ID 8087:0024
searching devices, found USB ID 0765:5010
searching devices, found USB ID 17ef:100a
searching devices, found USB ID 12d1:14fe
found matching vendor ID
found matching product ID
adding device
searching devices, found USB ID 1d6b:0003
Found device in default mode, class or configuration (1)
Accessing device 007 on bus 002 …
Getting the current device configuration …
OK, got current device configuration (1)
Using interface number 0
Using endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)
Inquiring device details; driver will be detached …
Looking for active driver …
OK, driver found; name unknown, limitation of libusb1
OK, driver “unkown” detached

SCSI inquiry data (for identification)

Vendor String: HUAWEI
Model String: Mass Storage
Revision String: 2.31

USB description data (for identification)

Manufacturer: HUAWEI
Product: HUAWEI Mobile
Serial No.: not provided

Only detaching storage driver for switching …
Any driver was already detached for inquiry
Resetting usb device .
OK, device was reset
→ Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye.

Running lsusb again I get:Bus 002 Device 007: ID 12d1:14fe Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

no switched ID, no modem.

How do I go about diagnosing what the problem is and then go about fixing it.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Malte

Please enclose your output within

[/CO..] tags in future. It makes for easier reading.

Clearly the docking station is preventing transparency somehow. Does your docking station provide USB2.0 or 3.0 replication? This does not sound like an openSUSE-specific problem. More a quirk of your hardware.

Since your 3G device is behaving as a storage device in this situation, one manual experiment you could try is to eject the storage device associated with it.

First

ls -l /dev/sr*

If you have a built-in DVD device, it will usually be assigned /dev/sr0, and the USB device may show up as /dev/sr1, so  in this case you would then issue

eject /dev/sr1

Now check the lsusb chipset reported. How does your device now show up?

lsusb

If you can manually 'modeswitch' your device like this, then it will be possible to create a udev rule to handle automagically...

Thanks for the feedback.

The docking station replicates both USB 2.0 and 3.0.

I tried your suggestion regarding ejecting /dev/sr1 (in this case) and a subsequent lsusb revealed no change.

I then plugged the modem into a USB 3.0 port on the docking station and IT WORKS!
So that is a partial solution. Unfortunately there’s only one USB 3.0 port and I’d ideally want to use it for an external HDD.

What I forgot to mention in my original post was that it works in Windows 8, i.e USB 2.0 port on the docking station and the same modem is recognised correctly.

I agree with you however that it’s probably not an openSUSE specific issue. It’s a combination of hardware / linux.

I would still like to get to the bottom of this however. Surely if it works in Windows 8 - without any special drivers - I should be able to get it working in linux.

The question is how?

Malte

What does ‘lsusb’ report about your USB docking station hubs? Perhaps they’re being treated as 1.1 devices or similar.

What I forgot to mention in my original post was that it works in Windows 8, i.e USB 2.0 port on the docking station and the same modem is recognised correctly.

I agree with you however that it’s probably not an openSUSE specific issue. It’s a combination of hardware / linux.

I would still like to get to the bottom of this however. Surely if it works in Windows 8 - without any special drivers - I should be able to get it working in linux.

The question is how?

Have a look at /varl/log/messages for usb-related output. That might yield more useful info.

Another thought crossed my mind - perhaps it is a power availability issue with the docking station? Without being familiar with your Lenovo docking station it is hard to say. Was your USB HDD plugged in when you were trying to connect the 3G device? (The use of a powered hub might help prove this if you have one available.)

@deano_ferrari
I am not ignoring this thread. I have just not had time to chase it. As soon as I get a chance I will report back with my findings.

Thanks
Malte

All good. Proceed at your own pace :slight_smile: