USB 2 on Suse 8

Hey all, please assist/point me in the correct direction.

Is it possible to use USB 2.0 @ full speed(or atleast faster than 1.1) on suse 8.0?

i know its a OLD suse. but please assist. i have been searching the web but cannot find ANYTHING…

Kind Regards

Shaun

Shaun,

check your kernel. If it is a 2.4, you probably won’t be very happy:
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb2.html

HTH
Uwe

CA_Shaun says:

Thanks for the reply… We are doing USB backups and the file size’s are LARGE so the backup are taking waaaaaaaaaaay to long…

Some older Linux distributions ship 2.4.18 kernels with EHCI code based on much older code, similar to what was in 2.5.2; the newer code supports more hardware, fixes bugs, is smaller, and has other goodness. If you’re building a distribution, avoid using such old code; in particular, 2.4 versions of the EHCI driver are no longer being kept current.

We are using the 2.4.18 kernel. i have seen that .19 apparently supports USB 2.0, how do i upgrade the kernal on suse 8 to .19 or the lastest?

any assistance will be greatly appreciated…

• ST1 wrote, On 10/24/2008 08:56 AM:

> We are using the 2.4.18 kernel. i have seen that .19 apparently
> supports USB 2.0, how do i upgrade the kernal on suse 8 to .19 or the
> lastest?

I seriously doubt there’s a recent kernel for Suse 8. Consider upgrading. The pros should beat the cons easily, given the age of the system and the total lack of support for it.

Uwe

U are 100% correct! the situation is that the company software only works on suse 8.0…
we have tried 8.2 but has some OTHER major problems and i doubt the company is gunna rewrite the software to help us out…

So lewks like im screwd :’(

We are using the 2.4.18 kernel. i have seen that .19 apparently supports USB 2.0,

Were can i download OLD updates? for my 2.4.18?

i see the updates went upto 2.4.22-30

On 10/24/2008 ST1 wrote:
> Were can i download OLD updates? for my 2.4.18? i see the updates
> went upto 2.4.22-30

The old stuff goes to the “discontinued” directory on most mirrors. This here is one in Germany, so maybe not a good choice for you, but a mirror close to you should have the files in a similar location:
ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/discontinued/i386/8.0/

HTH
Uwe