Upper pannel in new position after use of an external monitor

Running: KDE 4.7.2 openSUSE 12.1 x86 laptop.
I run two panels: one positioned on the top of the screen and the other on the bottom of the screen.

I plugged an extra monitor into the laptop when watching a movie, and all was fine. Yet, the next time I logged in, my panel on the top of my screen moved down exactly the size of the upper panel (size of the panel is 23). All I have to do to is, is click on the panel toolbox, click the screen edge and it goes back to its natural position. Any ideas, so I don’t have to do this at each new start-up.

So if you go to Menu / Personnel Settings / Hardware / Display & Monitor / Size & Orientation (On Left) and press the Save as Default button on the middle panel at the bottom, does this not save your monitor configuration? I have a Dell Laptop, connected a LCD monitor by VGA, its located above the Laptop and I have the Laptop set as below, containing the basic desktop. Before I saved this as default, I had to mess with these settings after each boot, but after saving it, when KDE loads, it uses my exact settings as saved. I am not sure what GNOME 3.2 is doing but KDE 4.7 handles this just fine.

Thank You,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am able to save my screen settings with or without the external monitor plugged in, which is located in personal settings/display settings/size & orientation; yet it still seems that ?the “panels” are not part of the monitor settings? Saving did not fix the problem.

A fix that seems to work, even though it is not the most sophisticate solution is:

I added a third panel (left panel) to my desktop, which it already had a top & bottom panel. I logged out. After log-in, the top panel stayed in place. Then, I deleted the added panel, and logged-out and my upper panel is in its normal position. Odd-bug-type behavior or just some random occurrence?

Yes, that is just one of those unexplainable fixes and must be a bug in KDE I would guess. I had an oddity with my wireless setup on the same laptop I mentioned using openSUSE 12.1 in that it did not work at first, I switched back and forth between ifup and network Manager a couple of times and WAM, it started working every time with Network Manager. Now just what was it that that did to make it work from then on? I can say without a doubt that most often you must have a wired connection going when you install openSUSE to download any needed firmware as it can be a catch 22 on getting wireless working with needing to download something.

Thank You,

I added a third panel (left panel) to my desktop, which it already had a top & bottom panel. I logged out. After log-in, the top panel stayed in place. Then, I deleted the added panel, and logged-out and my upper panel is in its normal position. Odd-bug-type behavior or just some random occurrence? 

I would file a bug report for that unwanted behaviour.

https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi

and maybe upstream too

https://bugs.kde.org/