Upgrading nvidia drivers removes conf file 13.2

When I upgrade the nvidia driver for my 960 GTX it deletes the 20-nvidia-conf file which sets coolbits to 1 and turns on triple buffering. Without this even scrolling a webpage results in very noticeable screen tearing. Neither of these options are available in the nvidia config GUI.

Is there some way to prevent this file from getting deleted?

Are you using the nvidia packages from the official nvidia repo? Or some other packages, or nvidia’s .run installer?

I see nothing in the nvidia packages that would remove that file.

But just to be clear here: you are talking about a file /etc/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf that you created manually? (a side-note: it needs to be called 20-nvidia.conf, 20-nvidia-conf would just be ignored)

Try to give it a different name, the actual file name doesn’t matter (it has to end in .conf though).

It is from the official repos, and yes it actually ends in .conf and I did create it manually.

The past two times I updated the drivers through Yast it deleted that file.

It is just an annoyance. I have a copy saved that I copy over to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

You might want to file a bug report then at http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/ (same username/password as here).

Although, as I said, I don’t see anything in the specfile that would remove a 20-nvidia.conf…
Have you tried to give it a different filename? (the filename doesn’t matter, it only must end in .conf as mentioned)
Does it get deleted then too?

Cannot try it myself as I don’t have an nvidia card.

I am sorry, sometimes my brain doesn’t process everything I read and completely missed your suggestion to change the name.

I will try that and apologize.