Upgrading KDE and apps from older 11.1 Live CD download

I just recently installed openSUSE 11.1 on a system from a LiveCD I downloaded a while ago.

I noticed that the KDE version is 4.1 and the Amarok and Digikam that came with it were for KDE 3.

Is there an easy way to upgrade to KDE 4.2(?) and update/replace applications with the KDE 4 version where it has the KDE 3? Would this include Amarok ver.2?

Or will it be easier/more stable to re-download the openSUSE 11.1 LiveCD (if it already contains updated images of KDE and applications)?

You could either download this live cd:
openSUSE News » openSUSE 11.1 KDE4 Reloaded: Includes KDE 4.2.2 and 11.1 Updates

Or simply add the repository mentioned on the following page and perform a system update:
KDE/KDE4 - openSUSE

From that page you could also use the 1-click install.

I guess that performing an update is better if you want to keep your personal settings. I’m not sure, but using the live cd might require you to reinstall from scratch (no update but complete reinstall)

Thanks!

I’m thinking, since this is a test machine at this point, a clean install from a new LiveCD download would be best. I don’t have any real personal data I want to save at this time.

I would do a regular installation (non-LiveCD) except the laptop I want to put this on does not have a DVD drive, and my network connection is slow(ish) DSL so a NetInstall is still an arduous task!

Not to mention, if I’m doing an installation where I get to pick and choose what goes in, there is a greater chance of me forgetting something or screwing up! rotfl!

I see in the respin directory and entry for openSUSE-11.1-KDE4-Reloaded-LiveCD.i686-4.2.3-Build3.2.iso, which I am thinking is what I want.

Good luck then :slight_smile:

Hold off on updating to KDE4 entirely!
Amarok 1 and Digikam 0.9.3 are actually better then thier KDE4 counterparts.
Latest doesnt always mean greatest, and updating to these versions have 0 to no security benefits.
Stick with the KDE3 versions, trust me at this stage they are better then the KDE4 versions.

You can still first install KDE 4.2 from that respin live CD, then downgrade digikam and amarok using the online repos.