upgrading from RC2 to release

I test a lot of Ubuntu versions and i know they continually update until final.

Currently downloading RC2 Gnome and just wandering if it is the same case for opensuse? So if i keep updating it will goes to the final release and beyond?

Cheers all.

It should update to release just fine. Once the repos are populated with the release packaging just do ‘zypper dup’

So i have to do it manually via terminal? Would have thought it would continually update?

It is my opinion that you are going to want to download the final version and at least do an upgrade of your present pre-release installation of openSUSE 11.3, if not a complete reinstall. I would do this update to make sure the software repositories added were for the final released product. And, you would want to update the other repositories as openSUSE 11.3 versions are posted.

Thank You,

The standard repo URL’s should be the same in RC2 and release.
zypper dup is technically correct.

I do however agree that (and will be doing so myself) that a fresh install is preferred (especially by us perfectionists)

So it would be better to download 11.3 when Final and use that to upgrade my 11.3RC2 install?

Edit → Just saw cafs post, i will probably do a fresh install then…but at least for now i will have a working linux install…**** ubuntu

Yes that would be ideal
Then you can enjoy the very best of Linux! :slight_smile:

Hi
You can always grab a delta iso image as well (assuming they make one
for GM).

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (i586) Kernel 2.6.34-12-desktop
up 18:00, 2 users, load average: 0.15, 0.06, 0.01
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Such is generally the case with Linux, not just 'buntu.

However, there are some cases where a new install makes more sense than an upgrade (for desktops).

1. A major feature change is in the kernel (or caused by the kernel) in the new release. (For those that had been using the Linux Catalyst drivers with 11.2, an upgrade to 11.3 will cause a dead desktop due to changes in Xorg. In those cases, I recommend avoiding 11.3 altogether.)

2. KDE users - 11.3 includes KDE 4.4.4 as the default desktop. However, if you are running 4.3.5 or earlier, you may find it taking multiple passes with either KPackageKit, Yast, or even zypper to satisfy all the dependencies (in fact, I recommend zypper due to the multiple passes required).

3. Users with KMS disabled - For understandable reasons, 11.2, more often than not, has been recommended to be run with kernel modesetting disabled. This recommendation goes away with 11.3; enabled modesetting is back to being the default.

In the last two examples, I would normally recommend a clean install over an upgrade (to avoid the upgrade borking your desktop).

On 2010-07-04 17:16 GMT liamdawe wrote:

>
> So i have to do it manually via terminal? Would have thought it would
> continually update?

It is a manual operation. It is possible to run it from Yast, I think,
but the recommended way for factory is “zypper dup”. And it is an
operation with some dangers (thus, manual).

If you have, say, RC2 installed, the procedure is to change the repos
to the final repos, and run the dup. No need to reinstall fresh, there
will be few differences between rc2 and gm.

Have a look here: http://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade

That’s the full version, for doing an upgrade with version jump. From
rc to gm it is simpler.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:36:02 +0000, liamdawe wrote:

> I test a lot of Ubuntu versions and i know they continually update until
> final.
>
> Currently downloading RC2 Gnome and just wandering if it is the same
> case for opensuse? So if i keep updating it will goes to the final
> release and beyond?

RC2 is build from our factory distribution - the one that always moves
forward, so in 4 weeks you’ll be beyond 11.3.

To upgrade to the final 11.3, you have to use the 11.3 repositories once
they are published and do a “zypper dup” to them. That will download all
packages again…

Andreas

Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
Twitter: jaegerandi | Identica: jaegerandi

AJ
So are you saying 11.3 repo url’s will not be
Index of /update/11.3
Index of /factory-snapshot/repo/oss
Index of /factory-snapshot/repo/non-oss

edit
I see - they are redirected.
Now I’m wiser. Thanks

8  | repo-non-oss                        | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss               | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss/                 
9  | repo-oss                            | openSUSE-11.3-Oss                   | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/repo/oss/                     

The shown info from zypper is identical to what I would expect in comparing 11.2 repos
But when I posted them above the url changed.

So the question is, will that redirect just be dropped or do you actually have to edit the repos, because technically they look correct.

Well it does seem like an annoying way to do things.

I don’t want to get bashed so note i am still new to Opensuse’s way of doing everything.

But wouldn’t it make it easier to have 11.3 repos setup earlier than just when it goes final to stop people having to do this…or is that the point so people will prefer a fresh install?
To reference ubuntu again, the updater does it all for you…in this day and age why can’t Opensuse have the same way of doing it?

Am i really missing something?

Everything on the mirrors for OS and NON-OSS have been redirected yesterday for users to upgrade to openSUSE 11.3 GM from openSUSE 11.3 RC2.

Open konsole mode or xterm and type in “su” (without the quotes) and password.

Type in: zypper dup

Once finished reboot your system.

Cheers!

Romanator

Having tried the betas and RCs this is not strictly true.
If you have an older monitor or a monitor that was not recognised in previous versions, backup your /etc/xorg.conf file and do the upgrade/fresh install. Then copy your old xorg file to use when you have a nvidia card.
For detected monitors, everything works out the box.
Other than a few niggles with changes 11.3 works fine so far.
Another thing that is good is that the live installs will create a persistent install automatically on boot if you use a usb or sd drive.

Ah; but you mentioned nVidia cards. That particular caveat I specified only for AMD cards (which lack driver support other than FOSS for 11.3). The proprietary driver for AMD GPUs won’t work with 11.3 at all (not even the hard way) due to the kernel and Xorg being too new (the same situation applies to F13); this is a major issue if you need DRI or 3D support (some AMD GPUs, such as the HD5xxx line, aren’t supported by the FOSS driver at all).

On 2010-07-14 14:56 GMT liamdawe wrote:

>
> Well it does seem like an annoying way to do things.
>
> I don’t want to get bashed so note i am still new to Opensuse’s way of
> doing everything.
>
> But wouldn’t it make it easier to have 11.3 repos setup earlier than
> just when it goes final to stop people having to do this…or is that
> the point so people will prefer a fresh install?
> To reference ubuntu again, the updater does it all for you…in this
> day and age why can’t Opensuse have the same way of doing it?
>
> Am i really missing something?

Each distro does things differently. Here, if you upgrade from one
version to another, it is because you want to do so and you do it, the
system will not offer to do it automatically. Safer.

As to people that have been using the factory version, well, they are
supposed to be people that know what they are doing and how to solve
problems on their own, helping the distro by testing the new version
and reporting and investigating problems. These people know how to do a
simple thing such as changing a repo manually, that’s a trifle >:-P

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Minas Tirith))

In practice the redirection to the 11.3 repos was done in plenty of time to update before the release date; so I was running the final release a couple of days early.