Upgrading from KDE SC 4.2 to latest upstream (openSUSE 12.1)

Greetings!
I honestly don’t know if this is the specific subforum to ask such questions, but this seems to be closest to the topic. :slight_smile:

I would like to know, what is the “official” way of upgrading my default (stable) KDE SC 4.2 to the one in the upstream KR47 (KDE SC 4.7) repository.

Should it be done by adding the repo then choosing “switch system packages” within yast? If this is the case, I don’t really understand why are there a lot of red packages.
For example the networkmanager, oxygen-gtk, bluedevil, amarok, etc. packages in KR47 are older then the ones in the official repositories. Don’t these also belong to KDE? Or the default packages are more frequently updated?
I’m a bit lost here because of this… so what do you say, which is the better way to go (if I want to enjoy the latest KDE): switch to the KR47 repository packages with vendor change (so this means downgrading some default packages), or stay with the default stable KDE 4.7.2 which came with openSUSE install and wait for the packages to get updated (+vote for stability)?

Thank you,
groovnout

Oops, I made a typo… by KDE 4.2, I meant 4.7.2. Sorry.

Some discussion here might help http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/468940-latest-kde-update-broke-opensuse-11-4-a.html

I assumed you already put up the correct stable repos for KDE 4.7 and refreshed it all, you can run zypper dup from terminal as su or zypper dup --from <your new kde4.7 repo name>

The current new version is KDE 4.7.3.

Am 01.12.2011 15:26, schrieb powerw00t:
>
> groovnout;2412991 Wrote:
>> Oops, I made a typo… by KDE 4.2, I meant 4.7.2. Sorry.
>
> Some discussion here might help http://tinyurl.com/6nbzrvs
>
> I assumed you already put up the correct stable repos for KDE 4.7 and
> refreshed it all, you can run zypper dup from terminal as su or zypper
> dup --from <your new kde4.7 repo name>
>
> The current new version is KDE 4.7.3.
>
>
You do not even need zypper dup --from here. Since the repo’s are
already correctly set (otherwise there would be no 4.7.2 running) a
simple “zypper up” will do it.

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.3 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Thanks for the replies!
I think I’ll wait a little more, until 4.7.4 makes it into the repos. Any ideas about those red packages? Is it bad for the system if they are going be downgraded on vendor change?

I am not very sure as I never upgrade my packages via YaST, zypper is common practice currently.

On 01/12/11 23:16, groovnout wrote:
>
> Thanks for the replies!
> I think I’ll wait a little more, until 4.7.4 makes it into the repos.
> Any ideas about those red packages? Is it bad for the system if they are
> going be downgraded on vendor change?
>
>
I think you’ll see the later (blue) versions after you click on the
“Switch packages …” link

Bob

Thanks for everyones answers! After enabling the KR47 (Core & Extra) repositories via Yast2, I managed to do an upgrade to KDE 4.7.3 with zypper dup command. If I tried “switching packages” via yast (selecting all the KR47 repository packages), it wanted to downgrade a lot of stuff. With zypper, no downgrade happened. And after all, this is what I wanted. :slight_smile: