Upgrading from 10.1 to 11.1

I am new at linux and would want to undertake the above activity. Our organisation hosts a postfix mail server on the 10.1 and we would like to upgrade the installation before enabling a fully featured web server running LAMP and JOOMLA on the box. Please can someone direct me in the right direction to be able to accomplish the activity. Tx

Best Regards

Get anothe rmachine, install 11.1 on it, get all the necessary services running in parallel, then do the switchover.

If you try to upgrade in-situ, you will end up with a broken installation and lots of downtime fixing it, assuming it can be fixed. 10.1 to 11.1 is a big jump. Hence in-situ upgrade is not recommended.

wabz wrote:

> I am new at linux and would want to undertake the above activity. Our
> organisation hosts a postfix mail server on the 10.1 and we would like
> to upgrade the installation before enabling a fully featured web server
> running LAMP and JOOMLA on the box. Please can someone direct me in the
> right direction to be able to accomplish the activity. Tx

I’d rather perform a new and fresh installation instead of upgrading.

Here is what I usually do: keep the old system and install the new release
in a different partition so this way I always have a running system
available in the event any problem with the new install raises.

Also, I prefer install each grub in its own partition and not in MBR.

Greetings,

Camaleón

I dont have another machine to perform a new installation and i am afraid of doing the upgrade since our mail server runs on it. I have already downloaded 11.1 and i thought it would be like upgrading from win2000 to xp

I have attempted a couple of “upgrade installations” with 11.1 over 11.0 systems, and tried one over a 10.3 system. I’d recommend that you go with a fresh install and move your config, data, local install files, and home directories one step at a time and see what happens.

You could always try to mirror your existing configuration to a test box in Vmware or Virtual Box and then roll over a test installation of 11.1 over 10.1. This might prepare you for the adventure. It would be time consuming.

Practically I think you’d save time by just getting a new box and building up a system from scratch while moving application configuration files, data, and support files one step at a time. You make sure you test the functionality of each before moving on to another. Then just move all the user data over after all the critical applications are confirmed to be up and running.

So it seams i am stuck with doing a new installation. Fine how do i backup my config file especially postfix and all the email in it?