Upgradeing from 13.1>13.2 OpenSUSE?

Just wondering about the likely ease of upgrading a relatively clean install of OpenSUSE 13.1 to 13.2 when it comes out tomorrow! I do have extra repos like Cinnamon, Google Chrome, and Steam, so should I disable them or is it safe enough to just let the Update Manager do its thing?

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

ps: Love OpenSUSE btw. 1 Click Installs really help us new Linux users (as well as the extensive documentation/wiki), and I love the GNOME color scheme…Cinnamon DE with that grey text on black is so sexy!

No, you should not “just let the Update Manager do its thing”.

First of all, the standard updater won’t automatically upgrade you to 13.2 at all.
You’d have to change your repos to point to 13.2 first.

Then it is absolutely not safe to use the updater for that. This is no “update”, but a “distribution upgrade”.

There are basically two ways to upgrade:

The second way would be safer, but I flawlessly upgraded one of my systems via the first method just two days ago.

If you do an “Online Upgrade”, you should probably disable non-standard repos first.
OTOH, it might be preferable to let them (at least some) enabled (but change them to their 13.2 incantation) to do the upgrade in one go.
But this largely depends on the particular repos in question.

Thanks :). So what’s the risk I run if I leave all repositories enabled? Tho I’ve only had this installed for a couple of weeks, so I won’t lose much if everything explodes.

Again, this depends on the particular repositories in use.

You might get dependency conflicts which you have to solve.

And “zypper dup” doesn’t care about which repos a package comes from, it will just install the one with the highest version/revision. So you might end up with packages from repos you didn’t want. And you might even end up with an incompatible mix of packages in special cases.

For further advise, please post your repo list:

zypper lr -d

On 2014-11-03 15:46, bromanbro wrote:
> wolfi323;2672551 Wrote:

>> OTOH, it might be preferable to let them (at least some) enabled (but
>> change them to their 13.2 incantation) to do the upgrade in one go.
>> But this largely depends on the particular repos in question.

> Thanks :). So what’s the risk I run if I leave all repositories enabled?

Again, as Wolfi said: «this largely depends on the particular repos in question». Till you answer that, my answer is “a lot”.
If you are not experienced enough to know why, don’t do it >:-p

> Tho I’ve only had this installed for a couple of weeks, so I won’t lose
> much if everything explodes.

Then I would consider install fresh.

Anyway, reading material:

Online upgrade method
Offline upgrade method
Chapter 16. Upgrading the System and System Changes
Chapter 16. Upgrading the System and System Changes
openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes
openSUSE 13.1 Release Notes

and those for 13.2 which you have to find yourself :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Sounds like I’ll be backing up and upgrading without changing anything - for science! I’ve broken Linux several times already, so lets see what happens :slight_smile: