Upgraded from 11.3 to 12.2 - now losing the task bar at bottom and window controls with mouse

I just completed the upgrade from 11.3 to 12.2. The upgrade went well. Now when working with multiple windows open and changing from window to window at times I will lose the task bar at the bottom of the screen and the ability to control the remaining opened windows with the mouse.

In order to close those windows, I have to select “File” in a window then type the letter for “exit” or “quit” to close the window. To fix or regain the task bar and windows control with the mouse, I have to close all open window before logging out or restarting. If I do not close all windows before logging out or restarting, the problem returns.

Not sure at this time how to resolve other than the above steps.

Moving in one from 11.3 > 12.2 is unlikely to produce happiness IMO.

Try creating a new user and see if it is affected too or not?

I created a new user and started to open windows and opened Firefox, created system terminal windows, system info windows and started move from window to window and executing line commands and the same thing happened as before. Lost the task bar and control of the windows. Had to use the same process to close all windows and logout and back in to regain task bar and window control.

On 10/07/2012 09:46 PM, kellykare wrote:
> I just completed the upgrade from 11.3 to 12.2. The upgrade went well.

what you mean is the upgrade seemed to go well until you tried running
12.2 and learned it went really badly…

here are three views of the recommended ways to upgrade from 11.3 to 12.2,
http://tinyurl.com/35p966c
http://tinyurl.com/93uemsr
http://tinyurl.com/7l4m2td

two of them require you to go one step at a time, running in all updates
as you go from 11.3 > 11.4 > 12.1 > 12.2

theoretically one offers a DVD upgrade across several versions (like
11.3 to 12.2) but notes “It is possible that a jump across 3 or 4
versions can work, but there is no assurance.” and “It is strongly
recommended to make a full backup previous to the undertaking. If the
upgrade fails, you can then restore and try again, changing whatever is
needed to avoid the previous problem, install fresh, or attempt a live
upgrade.”

i’d say you have a failed upgrade and the only way i know to recover is:

-if you have a full backup of all data from your 11.3, just format and
install 12.2 and then run your backed up data into the new

-if you don’t have a full backup of all the 11.3 data, try to save it
off now…do NOT save all the config files from /home directories, but
DO save all your photos, movies, emails, etc etc etc…well, you can
save the configs but you must be very careful in using them because
there have been MANY changes in the application between 11.3 and 12.2

oh, and read the caveat in my sig before you do anything…and, wait and
hope for better/easier advice!


dd
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

I agree with your take on this. I think a from scratch install is the way to go. The good thing is, this is my wifes pc and she uses it for mail and Internet browsing and nothing more… maybe a few office documents here and there. With this pc I have all the data on the same drive as the O/S, unlike my others that have a second disk with a “My Documents” soft link. I break before I did the installs and recreate afterwards.

Thanks again for the help and insight.

Brave! Very brave. Assuming you actually did an upgrade, if you didn’t delete 11.3’s kde settings file you could try that. I can’t remember the exact 11.3 name(s), but it’s a hidden (.kde something) in your /home/userid directory. To delete it successfully, you may need to mount the partition from another running system e.g. a liveCD or the installation DVD. When you reboot the system, you will get a brand new and more appropriate KDE settings file generated.

Worth doing, unless someone else has a better suggestion, other than a clean install. :slight_smile:

On 2012-10-07 22:16, kellykare wrote:
>
> I created a new user and started to open windows and opened Firefox,
> created system terminal windows, system info windows and started move
> from window to window and executing line commands and the same thing
> happened as before. Lost the task bar and control of the windows. Had to
> use the same process to close all windows and logout and back in to
> regain task bar and window control.

Ok, so it is a system problem. What upgrade method did you follow?

Online upgrade method
Offline upgrade method


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

I did the offline upgrade, aka dvd boot and upgrade method.

I did a quick “ls -laR | grep kde” in the /home dir of the user account that has the problem and there are no kde3 files in the folder.

On 2012-10-07 23:46, kellykare wrote:
>
> I did the offline upgrade, aka dvd boot and upgrade method.

Then you probably need to do the cleanup described in that wike page. You do not need to do a
clean install yet.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

The cleanup you are referring to is in the offline guide?

the kde directories are hidden ie start with a period

as a regular user they are not seen in a ls command become root to see them or in a gui browser select show hidden.

On 2012-10-08 02:06, kellykare wrote:
>
> The cleanup you are referring to is in the offline guide?

Of course


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On 2012-10-08 02:56, gogalthorp wrote:

> the kde directories are hidden ie start with a period
>
> as a regular user they are not seen in a ls command become root to see
> them

Why? You can see them with “ls -a”, they are your own files.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

I asked you to test a new user, because it basically starts you with a clean slate, well almost.

IMO, you need to backup important stuff belonging to the Mrs, then do a clean install.

On 2012-10-08 04:46, caf4926 wrote:

> IMO, you need to backup important stuff belonging to the Mrs, then do a
> clean install.

Not yet :slight_smile:

An upgrade made via DVD offline method is not finished when the DVD finishes its job; a fair
amount of adjustments made by the administrator is needed. Till those are done you can not call
the upgrade as “failed”.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On 10/08/2012 06:33 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> a fair
> amount of adjustments made by the administrator is needed. Till those are done you can not call
> the upgrade as “failed”.

wow! that http://tinyurl.com/7l4m2td you did is a nice piece of
work…really! it obviously took a lot of research, time, and
thought…THANK YOU!!

tell you the truth i’ve been pointing folks at it (and the other two
‘upgrade’ ways) for months but hadn’t read yours all the way to the very
bottom (was unaware of all the after-the-DVD-is finished stuff)…now
that i have i have to say it is (probably) great way to do things in
some situations…but, all of that after the DVD working which is
“tedious task that needs to be done” sounds like not the best way to go
if working on “my wifes pc and she uses it for mail and Internet
browsing and nothing more.”

i would just save (off to an off machine location–and made read only)
the email and bookmarks–then, format and install…being mindful that
12.2 is a lot ‘heavier’…and, LOTs of stuff has changed.

yikes! depending on what the email client was, even this could be real
messy. if KMail, do LOTs of reading before giving the new KMail a chance
to spoil your day…

so, when joining the email/bookmarks back in be sure to find lots of
smiles (from her) before dumping the read only backup…


dd
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

No that is not correct. the user account the command is executed from owns the files, which gives it the privs to see all files.

On 2012-10-08 09:52, dd@home.dk wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 06:33 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> a fair
>> amount of adjustments made by the administrator is needed. Till those are done you can not call
>> the upgrade as “failed”.
>
> wow! that http://tinyurl.com/7l4m2td you did is a nice piece of work…really! it obviously
> took a lot of research, time, and thought…THANK YOU!!

Heh, thanks. I had been thinking for a long time that some documentation was missing on the dvd
upgrade method. I still need to finish some details on it.

> tell you the truth i’ve been pointing folks at it (and the other two ‘upgrade’ ways) for months
> but hadn’t read yours all the way to the very bottom (was unaware of all the after-the-DVD-is
> finished stuff)…now that i have i have to say it is (probably) great way to do things in
> some situations…but, all of that after the DVD working which is “tedious task that needs
> to be done” sounds like not the best way to go if working on “my wifes pc and she uses it for
> mail and Internet browsing and nothing more.”

It is some work, and you have to evaluate which road is easier for which one. Me, I have system
configurations and data that I want to keep (postfix, mysql, amavis, named), even “trivial”
configs such as printer, scanner, network (firewall)… It is not just the work of redoing it
all, but simply I do not remember all things I changed that are not at /home.

It can be easier if the upgrade would activate the oss and non oss repo from internet.

At the present moment, for the OP, I think it is simpler to continue on the same road, ie,
finish the upgrade. It depends also on the administration skills, the difficulty is not the
same for everybody.

> yikes! depending on what the email client was, even this could be real messy. if KMail, do LOTs
> of reading before giving the new KMail a chance to spoil your day…

Uff :frowning:


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

I read the document and the detail is great. I started to look the process and working through the detail and it seem to be a lot of work for just a pc used for Internet and e-mail. I backed up mail and the few personal documents and reinstalled from scratch.

The from scratch installed did the trick. The PC performs much faster and have been testing and no issues. I turned it over to my wife for the turn test and she has been on it and has no issues.

I want to thank all that took the time to pass along insight and suggestions. All set for now.