Upgraded from 11.2 to 11.4 - switching systems packages to PACKMAN packages

I just upgraded from 11.2 to 11.4 and the installation/upgrade worked just perfect. I than followed the instructions in the “New User How To/FAQ”, “Multimedia and restricted format” post. I was following the instruction in the 11.4 section. I added the additional repositories as explained. I then was on the section where it talks about going into software management and selecting the “Packman” repository and clicking to “switch systems packages” to the versions in this repository (packman). I than click this link and the “warning” screen appears and I am present with conflict resolution after conflict resolution dialog. It just seems that there are some many conflicts, it just seems wrong and I canceled.

The installation/upgrade appears to have worked just fine. My mail is there, audio and dvd play back worked the first try after the upgrade. I am not clear if this is what I should expect or their is something wrong or if I even need to complete this step for a successfully installation.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

kellykare

You don’t need to Switch to Packman to upgrade your installed software. I normally suggest you start YaST / Software / Software Management (You must enter your password to start YaST).

Then, in Software Management I do a:

1. Options / Allow Vendor Change (Place an X there)
  2. Package / All Packages / Update if Newer Version Available (Agree if there are several Packages to update)
  3. You will then be presented with your choices to remove a conflict if one exists.

I normally make the following suggestions to all that have such problems:

To avoid package problems, the most important thing to do is to: NEVER ignore a dependency, even if YaST/zypper/updater gives you such an option! In general, never switch to an >inferior< architecture and the solution is most often to just switch Vendor to the >Packman< repository. So changing the vendor is OK, but >ignoring< dependencies is never a very good idea!

To confirm your multimedia is setup after the update, check out my blog on mmcheck here:

MMCHECK - Version 2.35 - Check Your Multimedia in 16 Steps - Bash Script File - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Thank you for the quick reply. I followed your advise and there are no new versions were found that needed to be updated. I am wondering why when i select the switch to the packman version i am presented multiple replacements and when selecting the packages option - all packages - update if new versions are available, i find no updates. Is there a difference between the two methods?

To confirm, my multi-media is working just fine. I can play cd’s, dvds, and Internet radio, I cannot find any multi media that is not working.

Thank you for the quick reply. I followed your advise and there are no new versions were found that needed to be updated. I am wondering why when i select the switch to the packman version i am presented multiple replacements and when selecting the packages option - all packages - update if new versions are available, i find no updates. Is there a difference between the two methods?

If the repository is small with a tight focus such as the Mozilla Repository, switching to it is OK, but the Packman repository is very big and the potential for a conflict is surely increased if you attempt to switch to it. I just prefer the method I suggested in my last message to you.

To confirm, my multi-media is working just fine. I can play cd’s, dvds, and Internet radio, I cannot find any multi media that is not working.

I suggest you make a visit here and check out some new movies coming your way.

iTunes Movie Trailers

If this works good, you surely have your multimedia configured properly. And don’t forget …

http://hardgeek.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/nice_drink.jpg

That is all folks.