Upgrade to kernel-default 6.5.4-1.1 fails on zfs module install

Hi there,

I’ve been waiting to upgrade the kernel-default package until zfs version 2.1.13-1.11 was available in the repos that should bring support for kernels up to 6.5.

Unfortunately the upgrade fails. The full log can be found here.

So the installation of kernel-default-6.5.4-1.1.x86_64 fails with

dracut[I]: *** Including module: zfs ***
dracut-install: Failed to find module 'zfs'
dracut[E]: FAILED:  /usr/lib/dracut/dracut-install -D /var/tmp/dracut.7AkgEw/initramfs -H -N ^i2o_scsi$ --kerneldir /lib/modules/6.5.4-1-default/ -m zfs
dracut[F]: installkernel failed in module zfs
CA enrolled. Skip /etc/uefi/certs/1F673297.crt
warning: %post(kernel-default-6.5.4-1.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

Is this an expected error that will be fixed in another update or do I have to do something special on my end to make it work?

Thanks

Perhaps consider making a bug report.

Yes, it is (in your case).

(53/56) Installing: zfs-2.1.13-1.11.x86_64 [...done]
(54/56) Installing: kernel-default-6.5.4-1.1.x86_64 [......................................................................................................
dracut[I]: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut -f /boot/initrd-6.5.4-1-default 6.5.4-1-default
dracut[F]: installkernel failed in module zfs
CA enrolled. Skip /etc/uefi/certs/1F673297.crt
warning: %post(kernel-default-6.5.4-1.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
....done]
(55/56) Installing: zfs-kmp-default-2.1.13_k6.5.4_1-1.11.x86_64 [........done]

Kernel package always builds initrd when it is installed, but zfs driver is installed only later. If you look further in your log, initrd was rebuilt again after all packages had been installed and this time successfully.

What exactly is the topic for this bug report? Installation of driver for the specific kernel version before this kernel version itself is installed sounds wrong as well. Rebuilding of initrd during installation of kernel package is intentional. Driver comes from the third party repository. I am not sure what can be done here.

I was just about to write that I tried rerunning the failed command (/usr/bin/dracut -f /boot/initrd-6.5.4-1-default 6.5.4-1-default) after the call to zypper dup and it worked without error. So after rebooting I got a new kernel version including the zfs module. Still not the greatest user experience.

You need to contact the maintainers of your zfs package and discuss it with them.