Upgrade to kernel 3.5 - s2ram does not work

I’ll wait for TW kernel upgrade. Suspend works, it is a bit slower, but no fail so far. It is a pity that the Nvidia does not cooperate with the kernel developers a bit more.

I made upgrade to 3.5.1, reinstalled nvidia, no problem. It looks that it is better solution than playing with the nouveau driver.

So it seems that the nouveau driver will not be able to equal the proprietary nVIDIA one, but when I installed openSUSE 12.2 with kernel 3.4 I noticed that the nouveau driver was working better than I have seen it work before including full 3D support. Further, I read that for Kernel 3.7, even more effort will be put into this open source driver. I am thinking we are on the verge of having a super open source nVIDIA driver that for anyone that has a card a year old or more that should work just as well and without the need to load anything the hard way. Since nVIDIA is constantly releasing new hardware, there will also always be a place for their proprietary nVIDIA one as well unless they change how they do business, which is hard to imagine just right now. In any event, happy to hear you found a good setup for your system vidmal.

Thank You,

I am only a linux user. I like linux because sometimes something goes wrong and I can try to solve it. What I admire are the kernel developers. There is more and more new hardware, the kernel gets bigger and bigger… If I can remember I started to use Open Suse from version 10.x. There were many problems for a common user - audio, multimedia… Now it is much better. I think that the Open Suse developers made a good decision to slow down. We do not need a new version every 3-4 month. What I still miss in linux is support for “special” hardware - wifi dongle, gps receiver…

I also started using openSUSE at version 10 when it was the very first distro that I was able to fully install, boot and make work on an external hard drive connected to my Dell work laptop. I did this so that nothing on my work hard drive would be modified in any way. Ever since then its been the only version of Linux I feel I understand enough to get all my tasks working properly. Indeed, there will always be brand new hardware that does not have Linux support as well as hardware that may never get Linux support. The Kernel developers work very hard to include all hardware they can and it is a never ending battle to keep the kernel up to date. As for openSUSE slowing down its release schedule, I too feel a once a year release is good enough particularly when you see how the Tumbleweed repositories work and in general the effort put forth to keep us up-to-date on as many aspects of the distribution as they can. It is still my opinion that openSUSE is the most customizable distribution in the entire world of Linux. Thanks so much for your comments vidmal.

Thank You,

I had tried several linux distributions - Knopix-Cd - the first one, Mandriva, Fedora, Ubuntu… No one was as good as Opensuse in my opinion. I think that there is no point to change my mind. Thank you for your help.