Upgrade to 12.3 -- no desktop

I just upgraded to 12.3 and I think I did something wrong. The system boots and I see the login screen. I enter my name and password, and the desktop never comes up. I can get to the console and enter commands and everything seems to work, but I cant get the desktop to come up. I get a dark screen and I do see my cursor when I move the mouse. I do have an Nvidia card, but the Nvidia repository is up to date and when I 'zypper install X11-video-nvidiaG02", I get a nothing to do message.

Suggestions?

Thanks

See openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

Especially GNOME does not work (with your described symptoms), if you’re using the proprietary nvidia driver with insufficient permissions to access /dev/nvidia*.

Or install all updates (“zypper up”) and it should work without adding your user to the “video” group.

I added my account to the video group with no change in symptoms. I am using KDE by the way. I double checked my repos, and cleaned and refreshed them. When I try zypper dup, I get an error that it can’t find libudev1. I have no good way to get a screen shot but I took a photo which is almost legible and I have attempted to post with this message. I am not sure what I am doing wrong or why I am missing libudev1.

Suggestions?

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/09qfjhyx15kz8f0/YGi03aqVMC

Here is a link to the screenshot if it does not show up in the message. 1 item

Thanks

Dave Miller

1. what did you upgrade from? Your prompt seems to say it was from 11.2 if so that is too large a jump best to do a fresh install.

2. don’t use zypper dup that is to take you to the default install level for the version you run. Use zypper up to get updates.

I upgraded from 12.2. That is an old prompt that I have not changed from when I used to have multiple versions on the box.

Version 12.2 at first had slow video when I moved a window, etc. after that upgrade. That is why I added the nvidia repo and installed x11-video-nvidiaG02. It all seemed to work well after that.

I have not actually used the zypper dup command – I have always canceled the install. I have always used ‘zypper upgrade’ I was going to try zypper dup because I saw it in a post for doing the upgrade. When I saw the errors, I canceled it.

zypper upgrade tells me there is nothing to do. It does show a big list of things it is not going to upgrade.

Here is a screenshot of that. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/8h2a81wwi66gtvp/WGaXquP_Tz

So it sounds like the message I got from zypper dup has nothing to do with my problem?
Anything else to try on the missing desktop problem?

Thanks

I believe I have found the problem. It works as root, but not as my normal user even though that user is in the video group.

Here is another screenshot when I start x from the command line. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zi35k9lev544n0u/51AiHSNEHA

Got to go now. I will work on it tonight.

And thanks. I appreciate the help.

startx is being depreciated and no longer works as a user since the permissions are changed…

You can still use init 5 as root

Should give you more meaningful info anyway

Interesting. init 5 only works with root privileges, and it brings up the green startup screen and just sits there whereas startx seems to be functional for root. (In other words, I get a functional desktop.) I can’t get out with ctrl-alt-F2 either – don’t know if there is another way to get out of the startup screen.

I guess then that the clue I thought I found this morning doesn’t mean much because startx is not expected to work for a user, no? Is there a command that will work from a user account that will start the graphical system? Or a log file I should be looking at?

Thanks

On 2013-10-19 07:26, az10sbum wrote:

> I guess then that the clue I thought I found this morning doesn’t mean
> much because startx is not expected to work for a user, no?

But you can make it work easily enough. Have a look at
“/etc/permissions.local”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

even though init 5 is run as root it brings you up in normal user space.

Do you have auto-logon set??

Does sound like a video problem

Try looking at what NVIDIA you have installed vi Yast- software management. NVIDA should have 2 or 3 packages installed dependent on the GOX number

You can run yast from command line just type yast
You should have a NVIDIA package for your kernel as well as the GOX package

Try removing and reinstalling the packages. Could be that even though there the packages have not been linked to the new kernel

What NVIDIA chip set is it?

Based on the reply from gogalthorp it seemed that startx would not be expected to work in a user account so what I did was to rename my config directory ~/.kde4/share/config/ to ~/.kde4/share/config_old/ so that kde would have to regenerate everything. That fixed the problem although I lost all my desktop settings. With some effort, I could figure out which thing is breaking it, but I’m not that ambitious right now.

Thanks for the help

Dave Miller

On 2013-10-18 19:06, az10sbum wrote:
>
> I upgraded from 12.2.

What method? Online or offline?

Online upgrade
method

Offline upgrade
method

Chapter 16. Upgrading the System and System Changes
openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

This was an online upgrade. Everything seemed to go smoothly. I was surprised when I logged in and the screen went blank. I did in fact try removing the drivers from the nvidea repo and reinstalling them with no change. The driver I use is x11-video-nvidiaG02 based on my card. It worked in 12.2, and based on what I was seeing, it seemed to work in 12.3. I would get the splash screen and the login prompt. Also, I found that if I logged in as root from the splash screen, it would work, so lots of graphics things were working. These things led me to try the fresh kde settings.

According to that message you have udev-mini instead of udev installed.
Select option 2 (“Deinstallation of udev-mini”) and udev should get installed instead, and hopefully make your system work.

I don’t know the exact differences between udev-mini and udev, but apparently udev-mini is a stripped down version. So I’d guess it’s missing some required udev rules so that device files would get created with wrong owner/permissions and cause your login to fail because your user is missing permissions to access them (root of course can still access everything in that case, that’s why logging in as root still works).