Upgrade to 12.1 from 11.4 (Gnome) issues - dbus?

I have upgraded from DVD to 12.1 from 11.4 under Gnome. Some issues in case others have seen the same:

1. custom PHP 5.3.8 which worked fine under 11.4 failed to activate since upgrade installed a newer version of libnetsnmp.so - I added a symlink from the old version 25 to the new 30 and now that works.

2. Boot hangs at second 10 for about 5 minutes before proceeding. Previous boot under 11.4 kernel 3.1 was slick and no problems. Part of dmesg says

… OK to here …
12.504298] atl1c 0000:01:00.0: irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
12.504379] atl1c 0000:01:00.0: atl1c: eth0 NIC Link is Up<100 Mbps Full Duplex>
23.170085] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
… no lines in here at all …
312.285785] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
312.285787] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
… continues no problems from here …

The last item before the hang seems to be network related.

Many messages in /var/log/messages such as

dbus[1013]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit ‘dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service’: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and ‘systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service’ for details.

systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service

dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

I have elected to use the ifup method of network control through yast, so this may be ok.

1. On open Thunderbird (Under 11.4 I was on version 8, but 12.1 sets me back to 7.0.1 which is not acceptable since I can’t use Lightning) I get

Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See GConf configuration system for information. (Details - 1: GetIOR failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method “GetIOR” with signature “” on interface “org.gnome.GConf” doesn’t exist
)

SOOOOOO

That seems to be two counts towards a dbus issue. Any suggestions?

Colin Beckingham

I get the same errors (and no nm-applet), but it worked fine in 12.1 RC2. I updated from 11.4 to RC1 then RC2 without any problem, but 12.1 final changed something :frowning:

After updating to 12.1 I have the same issue.
Boot hangs for about 5 minutes.
During hanging logins on tty2 and see what the status of the service network.service is activating (systemctl status network.service).
Lower in the chain of sequences can see,
running /etc/init.d.network start.
bash if-up eth0 …, gave birth to another bash if-up eth0 …, which starts nmbd service.
In this state boot hangs.
If you kill nmbd - boot should continue.
The network is controlled by if-up scripts. Looking through them, found a place where runs nmbd. It is /etc/sysconfig/network/if-up.d/21-cifs, which is symlink to /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/cifs. It belongs to the samba-client-3.6.1.
I broke the symlink and the boot will take place normally.
This is certainly not a solution, but only workaround… But the system is loaded, nmbd will start, but later. I don’t use cifs. And while no problems found.

And as for NetworkManager - /var/log/messages is full of:

Nov 19 11:41:32 linuxboard dbus [791]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name = 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager' unit = 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service'
Nov 19 11:41:32 linuxboard dbus-daemon [791]: dbus [791]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freed
esktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
Nov 19 11:41:32 linuxboard dbus [791]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkMana
ger.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
Nov 19 11:41:32 linuxboard dbus-daemon [791]: dbus [791]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name = 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager' unit = 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkM
anager.service '
Nov 19 11:41:32 linuxboard dbus [791]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name = 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager' unit = 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service'
Nov 19 11:41:32 linuxboard dbus-daemon [791]: dbus [791]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freed
esktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
Nov 19 11:41:32 linuxboard dbus [791]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkMana
ger.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
Nov 19 11:41:32 linuxboard dbus-daemon [791]: dbus [791]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name = 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager' unit = 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkM
anager.service '
anager.service '

# systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
          Active: inactive (dead)

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english =)

I was forced back to 11.4 when I discovered two more significant issues:

1. Sound output devices were not recognized in pulseaudio volume control. The devices are recognized fine in Yast and configured and play test sounds. However PA does not see them at all. Works fine in 11.4.

2. Postgresql updates from 9.0.x to 9.1.x. This is significant since the old data backend file structure will not be recognized. If you are upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1 and you have significant investment in Postgresql make sure you have complete backups of all databases so you can do a fresh data setup and then import from backup all your stuff into the new structure.

On 2011-11-19 11:26, colbec wrote:
>
> I was forced back to 11.4 when I discovered two more significant issues:

> 2. Postgresql updates from 9.0.x to 9.1.x. This is significant since
> the old data backend file structure will not be recognized. If you are
> upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1 and you have significant investment in
> Postgresql make sure you have complete backups of all databases so you
> can do a fresh data setup and then import from backup all your stuff
> into the new structure.

This should be in the release notes or the Most annoying bugs 12.1 page.
Please add it if it is not there. It is a wiki.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Anybody knows the solution for

error??? I have exactly the same.

Network manager works on my laptop, but not on my desktop. Interesting thing is that, when I boot live CD on my desktop it has Network Manager, but after instalation I got above error.

I read somewhere that it is caused by Yast Installer and it is fixed in the latest version, but I do not have any idea how to fix it or update Yast Installer… please help.

Update…

I did the fresh installation from DVD and now everything is fine. It looks like Live CD has some problems.

Could be you had a bad burn or download. Did you check?