Upgrade to 11 ?

With my 10.3 running so rock solid , and highly customized for the most part I really dont want to upgrade just yet. I’m interested in what other opensuse users have decided. (for some reason I cant add the poll ?)

1. Yes (Upgrading right away)
  2. No (customized, issues, etc,)1

I’m waiting a few more days till I get my download limit reset, then I’m getting 11.0 and upgrading my machines. Since all my machines run 10.2, it’s time for me to upgrade to 11.0 (I always skip a release, so i skipped 10.3)

Define “customized”. I keep my /home folders on a separate partition so that when I have to reinstall, it never erases my user’s preferences. Now, if you mean that you had manually compiled software on your system, that’s another issue, but as long as your /home folder isn’t erased in the reinstall, it shouldn’t be an issue.

By the way, 11.0 is definitely worth an upgrade. A major thumbs up to the developers - this is the best version since SUSE Linux 9.1.

customized to me is my custom kernel, some manual compiled apps, my gnome desktop with compiz personalized to my taste. encrypted drives all across the board including / . These are just but a few things off the top of my head why I’m hesitating a little. I mean I would love to do it but the time to get it all back the way my 10.3 is running …

• You could bring the kernel with you; just get the bzImage, System.map, .config, and the source directory.
  • The manually compiled apps would need to be recompiled because of the new headers.
  • As long as /home was saved exactly as-is (or untouched by the reinstall), your gnome and compiz settings wouldn’t change.
  • Not sure about the encryption; never done it.

hmm ja for the most part , although I did this on a bet, a buddy of mine said it wouldnt work :slight_smile:

encrypted root how to (opensuse.org)

and took some stuff from here:

encrypted root how to (gentoo.org)

so prolly in my case just redo all those steps, back up /home beforehand and then evtl then add myuser and copy everything over data/settings wise.

To ease the upgrade you could create a dual boot setup. I had this with the beta’s up to now & in the beginning mainly worked running 10.3, but I haven’t touched the 10.3 setup in more than a month.

Nein No

It’s not more than a bad Beta in my eyes… I tried it out the whole day and couldn’t connect Internet over WLAN though modules for both of my adapter were loaded.
Kontact crashes at startup. Many applications crash while opening a menu or trying a function.
Settings can’t be managed so deep like in KDE 3.5.9 or in 3.2.1 (sorry…). Software installation didn’t work the way it schould do.
Network configuration over Yast - in earlier days easy and simple - didn’t succeeded.
All together the badest compilation Suse ever released. My opinion.
KDE 4 brings nothing REALLY new and usefull. Only optical games.
More clicks to reach my target, the speed is horrible, the stability is not existent and the new menu… no comment.
Suse 5.3 - my first Suse - was easier to use and much more stable. The last really good Suse was 10.1. After this release the more “new” was buyed with bad things (sorry for my englisch).

I tried Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5.9 the first time in may this year. Everything goes easy, all things work from start up. WLAN is only to enter Essid and password. Never found a Linux this way. Long time support for years. Sources with nearly all programms I need.
My hope was Suse could be better in integration of KDE 4. Sorry. They didn’t.
The next few years my home is Kubuntu. Perhaps they have mor luck in usng KDE 4 some years later…
Over and out.

So, rather than asking for help, you come to attack suse11?
I find it the best release yet, a few quirks happened to me (most likely since the suse server was again almost overwhelmed), that are probably fixed by now.

@idshark, remember that 11.1 is coming in december, you can wait for that :wink:

1. You’re comparing Kubuntu with KDE 3.5.9 to openSUSE with KDE 4. openSUSE also offers 3.5.9 as an option.

2. As much as some people choose to bag on openSUSE for various reasons, it’s not perfect or immune to criticism, I have never ever seen anyone imply that *buntu has a better integration of KDE. Seriously. Even the *buntu trolls back away from that argument, openSUSE is considered to have one of the best implementations of KDE. Period, and bar none.

3. You’ll be back. I came to SuSE from Kubuntu myself.

Just my 3c…

Cheers,
KV

I just did my first update (not a fresh install) since SUSE 9.1. It went very smooth. I had to run sax2 to configure my nvidia video card and enable and update a couple of repos, like packman.

elsewhere, i like how you stated point 3. Ain’t that true!! :slight_smile:

I just upgraded my laptop to 11.0.

And after using YAST and zypper. I would upgrade any computer I have to this version for my use.

Zypper isn’t faster then the other versions, it is incredibly fast compared to the other versions. I now have to figure out what to do with my time when I go to add software, because i was used to making dinner while it would load up the module.

Plus KDE4 is very sexy.

Can anybody tell me how it works to use 3.5.9 instead of 4.0?

I’m using an operating system only to use my programms. It’s best I can’t see it. No gimmick no faults. I have really not the time to struggle with it. There are many cmputers I have to serve at many locations.
In this reasons KDE 4 is the wrong way in my eyes. I need many many more clicks for the basic configuration. On 3.5.x I need about 4 - 5 minutes. Now I know how to do the same in KDE 4 I need about 15 minutes. And not everything I want to change is found yet…
I need in 4.0 at least one, mostly two or three clicks more, to start my application. If I’m wrong about the location in the new menu it will be much more!
The primary goal of any PC has to be the task to solve with it.
Notice: There’s no game on any of my PC… Will tell You about my mind about PC. I use it for about 10 - 12 hours a day. “Work” I mean! There’s no wish to spend more time with it.
Suse was the best for me till 10.2. I was very happy about nearly every new version. I missed the ISDN in 10.1, that’s all.
I use internet since only a few years, so searching, updating and solve problems over it are not my things…
“console” is an illness for me in this century.
I use today the look of KDE classic…

I didn’t want to be the “bad man” in this forum.
In earlier times there were never a problem with suse at Startup. Now there is. It’s better or worse?
Kontact was fine since 0.9. In Suse 11 it doesn’t start. Better or worse?
Applications never crash till Suse 10.0. Today they do clicking a menu. Better or worse?
There may be solutions for all this. Most people find them easy to use. But I want to work with my PC. To feel better, because I use newest technology or when I solved a bad problem in hours I never had bevor… is not my intention if I think “PC”

I’ll give it a chance under 3.5.9 I guess.

Kubuntu has one really big fault in my eyes: Every user has admin rights. BAD. Instead of this I use it for nearly two months (PCLINUXOS one year bevor) and nothing! No crash. Every programm works the way it should do. changing hardware (several docking stations for my notebook in 7 different locations…) is automatically detected AND configured! Different scanners, printers, IR-connections, WLAN configurations, monitor solutions (15", 17", 20")…everything out of the box! NO, really no (!) configuration were ever nessessary!
In my eyes the easyiest way to use a PC under KDE at the moment…
I tore many people from Windows to Linux using SUSE. Some firms under them. Never had a problem (Using 10.0…). All of them are lucky till today (no additional work for me…:D). But today…??
Today it’s ME who has the probs using SUSE…!!
All about the HD (test-)installation was wrong for me.

Sorry for me I can’t find something well only because it’s new and looks different.

You put in the openSUSE 11.0 DVD, and then during the installer you pick KDE 3.5 instead of 4.0. It’s a radio button that you’re forced to select; if you couldn’t find it, you were clicking “Next” as fast as you could and didn’t spend the time to read the text.

Couldn’t be easier.

Well, when you installed, you select that radio button right next to the words “KDE 3.5.9”…

If you did an upgrade, then you choose to run KDE 3.5 at login. If you can’t do that, you shouldn’t have upgraded.

Well, to me the menus look the same, but I’ve been using the “new” menu style for a while with 3.5…

Same with me, and I get a lot done with it.

There’s no “bad man”; your experience is yours, and legitimate to you. The thing is, your experience is vastly different to most other’s. I am using KDE 4, and Kontact is not crashing, neither are other applications on any sort of regular basis. Just keep this in mind…

Well, good luck–and I say that with no sarcasm, I really mean it. I have rarely had troubles with Linux, all the way back to early 2003. However, I realize that some people do have problems, and I don’t discount them. However, I do think that even “regular” people, like my 60 year old mother, don’t have a problem entering an extra password (even if it is the same as their user password) to configure some option or hardware. I have seen many more problems arise because of one mis-step when unnecessarily running as root, as done often in Kubuntu.

And, while I don’t really argue your other points (I just stated that your experience was not the norm), I will take umbrage with your last contention: there is much more under the hood with openSUSE 11.0 and KDE 4.x than just some new looks.

That is a flat-out false statement, and if you don’t agree, you need to go do some research. I won’t even try to go into the litany of differences…

some-guy wrote:
> So, rather than asking for help, you come to attack suse11?
> I find it the best release yet, a few quirks happened to me (most
> likely since the suse server was again almost overwhelmed), that are
> probably fixed by now.
>
> @idshark, remember that 11.1 is coming in december, you can wait for
> that :wink:
>
>
And the best thing about this world is everyone has opinions and we are
all entitled to them. It didn’t work out for nightfighter but did for
you. You will see many people saying the same things within the next few
weeks.

andrewd18 wrote:
> nightfighter;1821315 Wrote:
>> Can anybody tell me how it works to use 3.5.9 instead of 4.0?
> You put in the openSUSE 11.0 DVD, and then during the installer you
> pick KDE 3.5 instead of 4.0. It’s a radio button that you’re forced to
> select; if you couldn’t find it, you were clicking “Next” as fast as
> you could and didn’t spend the time to read the text.
>
> Couldn’t be easier.
>
>
Unless the Livecd was used which is KDE4 only I believe.

Agh, I keep forgetting that they do that now. :rolleyes:

I have OS 11 installed on a separate hard drive, with my 10.3 install still preserved and working. It was a good excuse to buy a new 750GB drive.