Upgrade to 11.3 failed – insserv errors

A few days ago I upgraded my 64-bit openSUSE from 11.2 to 11.3. The upgrade and the online-update produced tons off the following errors (10 times repeated for each call to insserv) :

insserv: script jexec is broken: incomplete LSB comment.
insserv: missing `Required-Stop:'  entry: please add even if empty.

The system runs but I noticed that the daemon for the communication with the UPS is not started when the system is booted. Manually running insserv produces the same error as listed above. The script to be installed seems correct to me:

# Provides: apcupsd
# Required-Start:    $syslog $remote_fs
# Should-Start:      setserial hotplug_usb
# Required-Stop:     $syslog $remote_fs
# Default-Start:     1 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 6
# Short-Description: Start the apcupsd daemon
# Description:       Start the daemon for communication with APC UPS.

I do not know which other daemons are not started.
Any help in repairing the damaged system would be very much appreciated.


Proceed with a new install not an upgrade
keep /home will be OK

Thanks caf4926 - I feared that this would be the only remedy since it will cost me about 3 days to install everything.
Are upgrades generally a bad idea and installing a new version is the recommended way?

I always do a new install
Upgrade is possible, but it can depend on the complexity of your system.

3 Days…Wow!
I’d be done in a couple of hours

OK, it’s not the installation of openSUSE, it’s the additional software that takes time.

AFAIK it will be possible to upgrade 11.3 to 11.4, but version upgrading before that is not advisable. IIRC it is being worked on.

Personally I prefer a clean install. All the upgrades I ran sofar as a test, required the uninstall of lots of packages, it took me ages to get things back to work. A clean install, a good storybook, takes less time, does not have hidden remains of obsolete or conflicting configs etc. I start the installer, import the old mountpoints at the partitioning part, leave all except “/” as they are, install, add and configure server functions like Apache2, MySQL, NIS, NFS etc, add Packman for the codecs etc, add repos for KDE, switch repos, update all. Takes about 2 hours, I can’t fail since I have a double install, always one that works.

Thank you Knurpht - another lesson learned.