Upgrade or Install

Hi,
I have two opensuse systems running, version 10.1 and version 11.4–both are 64 bit systems. Neither one is heavily used; the 10.1 system runs the mpd music player, crontab tasks, and also acts as a dchp server for a small network. The 11.4 system runs some local applications, postfix, mysql, and a few others. Each system has a system drive and a large raid array for storage.

My question is, should I attempt to upgrade these systems to opensuse 13.2 or should I just back up the systems and install 13.2 fresh. With the new install I will have to go reconfigure the various servers which it would be nice not to do–but I could live with it.

I am pretty comfortable working with operating systems–I just don’t have much experience with opensuse upgrades.

Thanks,
Greg Laird

Too large a jump even for the 11.4 it is 5 versions for 10.1 it is 11

Note the application you run backup /home and /etc

Do fresh install reformat all partitions install any additional form your application list. Restore /home use /etc as a reference if you need to tweek system settings.

Note also you may want to re do your desktop, those old configs may or may not work so rename the desktop directory in you home to force a first day setup. You did not say the desktop so can’t be more specific

I thought that might be the case but I thought I would ask just to make sure.

BTW, I use the Gnome desktop. These machines are pretty much headless–most interaction is done with them via ssh shell commands.

Thanks for your advice,
Greg

For what it’s worth, I agree with gogalthorp’s advice.

BTW, I use the Gnome desktop. These machines are pretty much headless–most interaction is done with them via ssh shell commands.

You might want to consider installing minimal X. That gives you the minimalistic Icewm desktop when you really need a GUI. But there will be a lot less to install and configure. You can always come back and install a complete desktop later if really needed. If you mostly use “ssh” to connect, then minimal X probably has all that you need.

On 2015-02-16, ngbowl <ngbowl@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> My question is, should I attempt to upgrade these systems to opensuse
> 13.2 or should I just back up the systems and install 13.2 fresh.

I think your question has been answered. But just a thought: if you’re not too keen on upgrading/reinstalling your
openSUSE version regularly, have you given thought to installing openSUSE 13.1 rather than 13.2 - because it’s destined
for Evergreen support until Nov 2016 and buys you more time before EOL compared to version 13.2?

You know, I didn’t think of that–it didn’t even occur to me. I was not aware that there was a difference in ongoing support levels–13.1 being longer than 13.2. I just downloaded 13.2–I will think about this a bit and maybe get 13.1 for the upgrades.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Very helpful!
Greg

… same advice from me, I suggest 13.1 for the longer support, in your case.

I appreciate the advice. 13.1 it is.

I have looked around on the opensuse.org website and I can only find 13.2 for downloading. Where would I look for 13.1?

I was going to download the 4.7GB DVD distribution and then use a USB stick to install the systems.

Thanks,
Greg Laird

Download openSUSE 13.1

Thanks for the link. I did look around for the previous version but I could only find references to 13.2. Is there a directory of previous releases?

I went to the “software.opensuse.org” page, which has 13.2.

I clicked “Downloads”. That gave a list of earlier versions. But it did not show me where to download. Somewhere on that 13.1 page, there was a link for “Installation”. And that took me to a page which had links to download pages.

Not easy to find.

Actually, the easy way is to look at the URL in the top of the browser, change the 132 to 131, and away you go.:wink:

BTW: You can also still download 12.3 that way (I do not recommend that, though, as it is EoL).