Upgrade Install From 11 to 11.1

It hasn’t been long since I’m on version 11 (because it took long to fix some major issues I had with) and now that version 11.1 is out, I really don’t want to do a full install.

Good thing I noticed there is an ‘upgrade’ option on the install DVD. I’m not sure what will happen though, so I had a few questions. If you know the answer to any number of these, please reply:

1 - What’s being upgraded?
2 - Will all the packages I have installed be upgraded?
3 - Is it a side-by-side install, keep the old and get the new?
4 - What about the ones I did NOT install originally?
5 - What about the ones I removed after installing version 11?
6 - What happens if I upgraded a package to something newer than on the 11.1 version (say a new version of Firefox, etc)?
7 - What happens to the latest security updates I installed?
8 - What happens to the customization I did? (Change of modules being blacklisted, custom drivers, changes in gconf, custom fstab, etc)
9 - What happens to preferences changed? (New menu items, toolbars, keyboard shortcuts, keyboard map, color schemes, etc.)
10 - Anything else I should know about upgrading?

Thanks in advance,

• Itai

1 - What’s being upgraded?

Almost everything : the kernel and all the programs that are part of the distribution

2 - Will all the packages I have installed be upgraded?

Depends on how they were installed (most of the stuff coming from the repositories should be upgraded). When I upgraded my system, some programs were removed (like VLC and VirtualBox). When you upgrade, the packages to be removed are listed : it might be wise to keep a note on this.

3 - Is it a side-by-side install, keep the old and get the new?

It’s an upgrade : if you want to keep your old system, make a backup.

4 - What about the ones I did NOT install originally?

See above.

5 - What about the ones I removed after installing version 11?

Good question : it probably will be reinstalled if there’s dependencies issues.

6 - What happens if I upgraded a package to something newer than on the 11.1 version (say a new version of Firefox, etc)?

It will be reverted to the version in the distribution.

7 - What happens to the latest security updates I installed?

After upgrading, apply the patches from the 11.1 repositories (you will have to enable the new 11.1 repositories).

8 - What happens to the customization I did? (Change of modules being blacklisted, custom drivers, changes in gconf, custom fstab, etc)

Stuff related to Gnome is kept in your home dir so you’ll keep your settings. Not sure about custom drivers but they could be replaced.

9 - What happens to preferences changed? (New menu items, toolbars, keyboard shortcuts, keyboard map, color schemes, etc.)

See above.

10 - Anything else I should know about upgrading?

If you use Compiz, disable it before upgrading. After the upgrade, get the newer version of Compiz from the X11 Compiz repos.

1. Not as simple or as easy as it sounds. Mostly all packages of the oss
  2. An upgrade will only upgrade the Packages on the DVD. All 3rd party packages like those you will have from Packman are not on the DVD. As a result you will probably get all manner of conflicts which have to be addressed. Normally, by using the package manager in the installation and selecting ‘Lock/Protect - Do Not Modify’ for each such package. Tiresome.
  3. NO.
  4. ? what?
  5. ?what?
  6. It will need to be overwritten, because it is still for ver.11.0 and the DVD provides, so let it. Then later you add the 11.1 mozilla repo and up FF
  7. BANG!
  8. Should be unchanged - mostly. But some, like video drivers will die
  9. Do Not Format /home and all your settings will remain.
  10. I always do it as a New install. Just keep /home and then re-install all 3rd party packages later. Install takes about 20 mins. The rest 30 mins depending on your internet.

a clean install is always better.
if you have a spare partition of 8gb size you try it install in it and see if it works ok for your hardware.
then you think of changing working version 11.0
xserver is different and may not be compatible
so it is better to try seperately in another partition.
you can run both versions and see if you like it.

Thanks to all who replied.

Upgrading seems like more headache than its worth. I’ve always done a clean install, so I’ll wait until I’m ready for that. I’m still new at OpenSUSE, so getting all my config right and the apps that I need takes me a lot of time. Certainly an expert could get things up much faster but given how much time it took to go make 11.0 work (did a clean install, had 10.3) properly, I’ll wait for a more compelling reason to change.

• Itai