upgrade hanging at first boot - wicked???

I upgraded from 13.1 to 13.2 /KDE. At the first boot the KDE screen (autologin) came up with the harddrive becoming visible but then the rectangle where you see normally other icons becoming visible disappeared completely. The computer just hangs there. After a long while it reverts to command (black screen with the white writing) and for more than 30 minutes it was hanging with the last line stating:

Started wicked network management service daemon.   Started wicked network nanny service ...OK}   started wicked network nanny service.     Started wicked managed network service....

I waited for at least 30 minutes then rebooted (had to use the power button since Ctrl Alt Delete did not work at this stage) and the same thing happened. It is an older computer and I don’t know much about the hardware. However the download checked out with the MD5 hasch and the media check found no fault with the CD. What next? I suppose I can try to start in runlevel 3 and try to reinstall wicked?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated
Cheers
Uli

No, I doubt that your problem has anything to do with wicked.

Apparently Xorg is crashing and you just see some of the boot messages in text mode then.

Probably a graphics driver problem.
Does it work if you select “Recovery Mode” in the boot menu? (“Advanced Options”)

What graphics card do you have? Did you install any proprietary driver in 13.1?
You’d have to reinstall the 13.2 version then because the old one won’t work at all after the upgrade.

Thanks, wolfi323, yes the graphic is there in the recovery mode. /sbin/lspci -nnv gives me:

0:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e22] (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8276]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
        Memory at fe400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4]
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256]
        I/O ports at cc00 [size=8]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel modules: i915

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e23] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8276]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at fe800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1]
        Capabilities: <access denied>

What next - the install went very slow - was waiting for ages (at least 20 minutes) right at the beginning when it stated “oading drivers…” so I prefer not to do a reinstall if possible - especially since I don’t know if it finds the driver then. I thought the intel drivers would be pretty standard?
Cheers
Uli[/size][/size][/size][/size]

Good, so your installation is ok.

What next - the install went very slow - was waiting for ages (at least 20 minutes) right at the beginning when it stated “oading drivers…” so I prefer not to do a reinstall if possible - especially since I don’t know if it finds the driver then. I thought the intel drivers would be pretty standard?

Yes, but that doesn’t mean that they cannot have bugs… :wink:

First of all, please post your X log to see whether you are actually using the intel driver. As your system doesn’t work in normal mode, do this:
Make a normal boot, then reboot to recovery mode and post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old, this should contain the log from the previous, failed, boot. And please do not post the whole file here, but upload it to http://susepaste.org or similar and post a link.

If you are indeed using the intel driver, try this to see if it helps:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Switch_xf86-video-intel_to_UXA
If you did this change in 13.1 already, try to revert it. Some people have reported exactly the opposite situation on 13.2, i.e. UXA not working while SNA works fine.

PS: There is an update for the intel driver on the way already which should fix some problems…

thanks, wolfi323 here is the xorg file
http://susepaste.org/59518137
I tried the command lsmod | grep uxa without result. So i will create/modify the xorg.conf file as in the link and report later if it makes any difference.
Cheers
Uli

Sorry, but this is from recovery mode and therefore useless.
Did you not get to graphics mode at all when doing a normal boot?

I tried the command lsmod | grep uxa without result.

UXA and SNA are no kernel modules. They are different acceleration methods that the intel driver supports, and they are integrated in the driver.

as I said in normal mode the system hangs with the command line before I can access anything. It hangs on the lines listed above and I cannot log in, either command line or graphic. So I copied the log file from recovery mode. Is the Xorg.0.log.old the file of the previous attempt?

You said in your first post that you get KDE’s start screen.
It doesn’t matter at this point whether you can login or not, the important thing is that Xorg starts and creates the log.
If it crashes afterwards there should even be a clue in the log file.

If Xorg does not even try to start, please press Ctrl+Alt+F1, can you login to text mode then?
Try to login as root, and try to run “startx”. You hopefully get some error messages then, or at least the log should contain something.

Is the Xorg.0.log.old the file of the previous attempt?

Yes.

RIght - before it started the KDE mode but probably since I put those lines into the 50-device.conf file it only goes into text mode login nevertheless the log file for this (not entering GUI) is here: http://susepaste.org/2140338
Hopefully it is helpful. I presume it cannot find the uxa driver and stops. I will change the file. Let me know please if you then need the other log file as well.
Cheers

It can find uxa (as I said this is integrated into the driver), but somehow the driver crashes. AFAIK this problem (amongst others) should be fixed with the update.

What should help is disabling DRI altogether (slows down the driver though).
Try to set this instead of Option “AccelMethod” “uxa”:

Option "DRI" "false"

Are you able to login to KDE then?

So, I hashed out the 50-device.conf entry and started again. Went into KDE aaand saaw the hard drive but befroe the spanner/screw-driver ware seen it stopped. Went into text mode with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and logged in and geve the command startx. The screen went dark but on the right you could see the green plant with the gecko but no controls, no other icon, no panel. Could do nothing, tried several times Ctrl-Alt-F1 - no response. In the end I had to use the power button again. Here is the file Xorg.).log.old:
http://susepaste.org/54395665
Cheers
Uli

OK our posts crossed. I try what you said and come back

Ok here I am again. THis time i got a bit further - after seeing the hard drive in the KDE GUi I could see the spanner/screwdriver cross but then everything stopped again. Went into command line with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and gave the command startx. Again the screen went dark with only the symbol of plant and gecko on the right - this time with the mouse but no controls. Went into command line with Ctrl-Alt-F1 again and copied the xorg.0.log file into my home directory. afterwards the system showed about 15 lines on the screen and then stopped completely. No prompt nothing - it didn’t react to key strokes. I had to reboot with the power button. But here is the log file:
http://susepaste.org/85867094
Cheers
uli

Hm. The current problems I’m aware of are mainly related to DRI (DRI3 in particular).

Let’s verify that it is indeed the graphics driver that’s causing problems (recovery mode changes some other things to safer settings as well).
Please select the standard boot entry, press ‘e’ at the boot menu, search for the line starting with “linux” and append “nomodeset” at the end. Then press ‘F10’ to boot.
Please note, that this won’t change your system, it’s a one-shot measure, so you don’t have to revert anything afterwards. You should comment out the 50-device.conf file content first though (in particular the Driver “intel”), as Xorg will fail to start if you force it to use the intel driver as that doesn’t work with “nomodeset”.

Other ideas:
Does it work when you try Option “NoAccel” “true” instead?

You might also try the glamor acceleration. For this set Option “AccelMethod” “glamor” (as before for uxa), and additionally create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/05-glamor.conf with this content:

Section "Module"
    Load  "dri2"
    Load  "glamoregl"
EndSection

Thank you, wolfi323.
I tried to boot as you described with the word nomodeset at the end of the line. It booted but the result looked like the boot in recovery mode. (I did hash out the entry in the 50-dev… file first), I couldn’t change any resolution settings so I tried your instructions with glamor. Didn’t boot into X at all.
I was hoping (since install and upgrade were always hanging at certain points for many minutes like loading drivers or saving bootloader configuration) that it might be quicker to install the correct driver. But I messed around all afternoon yesterday without success. So I try a new install. At the moment the comuter is sitting again at the “loading drivers…” and this will take probably another 20 minutes… Anyway I will let you know after the install is finished if it is OK. Thank you very much for your help.
Uli

OK - the install went surprisingly quick however there are still many problems. At the firstboot it went into the KDE screen until the globe was visible but still out of focus then the screen went black and then it looked like a normal desktop except that the panel was empty. I remuved the panel and put a normal panel on and did an online upgrade first. Afterward I was back to the black screen with text. The computer did not react to any keystrokes so I rebooted with the power button. THe last message i could read was something like frquency mismatch.
Restart was the same in KDE until the globe was visible but still out of focus then the screen went black and then it looked like a normal desktop only the icons on the panel were all on the right side even though I locked the widgets before loggin out. I could move the launcher to the left but then the system tray and the clock stay wherever they want. No possibility to put them in any other position. But the launcher does not open anything except the commandline. No other application opens. Even if I call them up from commandline they don’t open. I could open the text-yast in commandline but that is about all. Tried a few reboots, etc, another online upgrade but that says system is up-to-date. So that’s it. Not very successful. This computer should end up as media server connected to the TV. I have 4 other computers networked here they all run version 13.2 KDE, one still 13.1 KDE without too many problems. But with this computer I am at a loss!

You must address the video problems before you can setup your desktop properly. It is silly to even try.

Generally Intel GPUs are no trouble but Wolfi says a patch is due out so maybe that will fix the problems. You could boot to rescue mode but you will not get full resolution and fancy eye candy won’t work. You might try a lighter weight desk top maybe lxde until the GPU issue is resolved

Thanks, gogalthorp, but the hardware is quite old - at least 10 years - so nothing fancy. It was thrown out of a college and is supposed to replace my 12 year old laptop as media server. However I discovered something else. I had the HDMI cable plugged in although the TV was switched off. Now, to figure out the problems, I moved this computer into another room and without the cable suddenly it boots into KDE normally. I noticed with version 13.1, which I had before briefly on this system that the HDMI cable gave a clear picture on TV during install, but afterwards it was flickering. xrandr -q showed the frequency was set to ‘auto’. I tried to set it manually to 60.0hz since this gave a clear (but too large) picture in lower resolutions. But that ended up that I didn’t see anything at all on TV and in sytem settings it showed HDMI as disabled. I didn’t worry too much about this since I wanted to upgrade this computer next to 13.2 yesterday when I had those problems.
If nobody with more knowledge than me has any more ideas I may just have to wait for the upgrade or put LXDE on as you suggest. WIll the upgrade be available automatically througgh apper?
Cheers
Uli

Older hardware may just not support multi screens.

It will only have the TV as screen - although it can run both screens if one has a very low resulution