Upgrade from OpenSuse 12.1 to 13.2

Hi,

currently in OpenSuse 12.1 on our machines, we’re searching how to upgrade to OpenSuse 13.2.

Our machines don’t have internet connection, nor CD/DVD drive.

But they have USB ports !!!

I know how to upgrade with an internet connection and zypper.
With CD/DVD i never tried, but i suppose it’s the same.

Is there a way to solve my problem ? Like a BIG rpm … yes, i know it’s not possible :frowning:

Thanks in advance
Sylvain

If you have a means to download 13.2 DVD and throw it on a USB flash drive you could update or clean-install from that. Most of the FOSS applications will be included on the DVD so it doesn’t require the Internet (except for downloading Flash and codec formats that cannot be bundled with the DVD).

On 2015-03-19, sygirard <sygirard@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> currently in OpenSuse 12.1 on our machines, we’re searching how to
> upgrade to OpenSuse 13.2.

First thing before you try anythin: backup your data! Beware of the `upgrade’ option. Offically, incremental upgrades
are supported (i.e. 12.1->12.2->12.3) rather than jumps. If however your really mean a full reinstall, this shouldn’t
be a problem. I’ve one laptop that I’ve incrementally upgraded openSUSE since version 11.1 and it’s never failed!

> Our machines don’t have internet connection, nor CD/DVD drive.

Is it impossible only to transiently connect them just to patch the inevitable bugs that are ironed out upon release?

> But they have USB ports !!!

Then you can use any USB storage medium to install so long as your motherboard allows you to boot to it. Personally I’d
advise investing in an external DVD drive because that allows you to perform a proper media check on the freshly burned
ISO image that you will trust for installing on all your machines.

> I know how to upgrade with an internet connection and zypper.
> With CD/DVD i never tried, but i suppose it’s the same.

You can boot to the DVD. After it detects an existing openSUSE installation it will offer you to upgrade rather than
fresh install.

> Is there a way to solve my problem ? Like a BIG rpm … yes, i know
> it’s not possible :frowning:

I’ve not tried this before but you may find this link helpful:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Offline_upgrade

Thanks for your replies.

I will try this.

To flymail : Is it impossible only to transiently connect them just to patch the inevitable bugs that are ironed out upon release?
No, that’s the problem.

Thanks
Sylvain

There have been so many fundamental changes to openSUSE (and Linux in general) since 12.1, I’d recommend you consider what and why you’d want to try an upgrade.

• If you only want to preserve and migrate personal files, you can simply backup and copy the /home/user/ folder to your new machine. It <might> also preserve some user preferences which are stored as hidden files in this folder, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic.
  • If there are apps you want to use, you need to research this beforehand. You need to determine whether they still exist in 13.2 or whether you’ll need to install replacement apps. If they’re extremely complex to configure, this could be a reason to do an upgrade rather than install and configure new.

Weigh the various factors related to the above vs. new installs with “forklifted” data.

Considering the likely immense amount of time and effort to incrementally upgrade (the safest procedure) and no access to the Internet (which would allow you to do a “zypper dup” either as a primary method or to clean up anomalies particularly if you intend to try to upgrade in one or a few versions at once), you might also consider making radical changes which could decrease future costs and ease management… like a strategy based on virtualization.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to deploy your own OSS mirror if you can’t open Internet access to your machines.

In any case, I’d recommend going slow.
Do one machine to become familiar with issues before you roll out a solution for many.

HTH,
TSU