Upgrade from 9.3

I’m somewhat new to Suse and currently have a machine running Suse Pro 9.3. I have a couple questions related to updates and versions.

1. What is the difference between Suse Professional and Open Suse? Or are they the same thing (just different versions)?

2. Is it possable to upgrade my current system to the latest version of OpenSuse without doing a complete new installation?

3. If an upgrade is possable, is it usualy a pretty smooth process? or is it involved and learning intensive?

Take care,
~Gray~

As SuSE Linux does not exist any more, this question can not be answered with yes or no.
If you don’t want to buy the enterprise version (SLED/SLES) you will “have to use” openSUSE.

No, the difference would be too big.

See above.

An important consideration is the age of your hardware. How old is it? Primarily the hard disk and system RAM sizes are important, and you may find your CPU specs are insufficient to run openSUSE 11.X properly. Graphics card specs may also influence your decision as to whether its worth it. For reference:

openSUSE 11.1: Hardware Requirements

Now, assuming your hardware is ok, then I would backup your important data in /home/<username>, and then perform a clean install.

Thanks for the quick response and helpful information. It looks like I’m ok with the system requirements other than the DVD drive.

I guess the question now is openSuse vs Enterprise. In addition to the 40GB drive for the OS, this machine currenly has a couple 200GB IDE drives configured as RAID I.

Can openSuse can support the software RAID configuration (similar to Suse 9.3). If so, than I think I’m good to go.

Take care,
~Gray~

I just did some hunting around and see that openSuse does support software RAID-1. I guess my question now is, are there any things I should consider when installing this configuration?

should we assume you know how to protect your data?

the best way to install openSUSE 11.x is with a md5sum checked DVD
and then boot > format > install

if you have not been involved much since 9.3 a LOT has changed…i
suggest you read the noob info at http://tinyurl.com/ycgm2bx (even if
your hair matches your handle–it could save you hours of time)

and, it is impossible for us to guess your needs…you have gotten
a good long run out of 9.3 and you need to know that the openSUSE
available today (11.1) ages out of support at the end of 2010, and the
11.2 to be released next month will only last 18 months (see:
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Linux_Lifetime)

openSUSE today is NOT produced under the same philosophy as
9.x…today, we BASH bugs…most of us changing versions every eight
months or so and then Novell takes a snapshot of the code and releases
a COMMERCIAL Enterprise version which is then supported for a MUCH
longer lifetime (see: http://support.novell.com/lifecycle/)

if your 9.3 is running essential software, then you are likely to be
MUCH happier with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) or SUSE Linux
Enterprise Desktop (SLED)…

that is my four cents worth…ymmv…oh, let me mention that
everyone here in forums.opensuse.org are volunteers and we try to
support you as we can [but be careful, it is really difficult to tell
the difference between one with two weeks or two lifetimes of
experience]…if you purchase SLED/SLES you go to a different forum
AND have a support agreement with Novell…

palladium

palladium, thanks for the great info and forgive me for the long delay in responding. I got a bit busy this week and this whole Suse thing got depreciated until until the end of the week.

I will definitely check out the noob doc and will probably look into Suse Enterprise down the road. But for now, the plan for this machine is to use it as more of a testing platform. I think for that reason alone, openSuse should suffice.

Thanks again and take care,
~Gray~

graymat wrote:
> palladium, thanks…
> ~Gray~

welcome sir–you don’t happen to work in/near Memphis do you?
(i know a “Gray” in Memphis, if your mom is “CAM” then that would be
just too much!)

palladium
Have a lot of fun…

Nope, sorry. I’m in Detroit. However, I do have a buddy in Memphis that I’ve been looking for an opportunity to visit. It’s one of those places I haven’t seen yet. :wink:

~Gray~

graymat wrote:
> I do have a buddy in Memphis

be sure and ask him to take you to any local (famous) BBQ
place…and, get some catfish and hushpuppies too!!

palladium
Have a lot of fun…

@palladium: How are you able to post as guest? Why don´t you register?

TheMask wrote:
> @palladium: How are you able to post as guest?

simple really…i just prefer the speed and clean of the non-html
email-like two-way back and forth communications available via the
Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) which preceded web forums by
twenty-something years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nntp

that way, i use Thunderbird for email, mail lists, usenet
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>, closed (subscription & free)
discussion groups as well as public groups like those offered by
Novell and others such as these…

> Why don´t you register?

-because it is not required…

-because i am in no need of a “reputation” nor title such as Puzzled
(up to what?) Zen/Voodoo Master Penguin…(i get all the social
stroking i need on social sites…not on technical sites…)

-because it prompts folks (such as yourself) to introduce themselves
to more avenues of communications and thought, see:
http://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_nntp

palladium
Have a lot of fun…

I can pass some philosophical differences, since I did not see anyone else provide this.

Obviously, SuSE Professional was released by SuSE-GmbH when it was not owned by another company. It was not available for free download prior to (nor immediately after) release. It contained proprietary drivers for hardware.

In the case of openSUSE, it was made available after Novell purchased SuSE-GmbH. In essence openSUSE is the old SuSE-Professional updated, with philosophical changes. openSUSE has divested itself of almost all (possibly all) of the proprietary code/drivers that came with SuSE-Pro. In addition, openSUSE is available for free download during the development process, and after release. There is now more of a community (openSUSE community) helping to test and support the product.

Of course since every openSUSE release is newer than the last SuSE-Pro release, one gets updated software with openSUSE that is not in SuSE-Pro.

The dropping of proprietary drivers has a significant impact on how one goes about installing proprietary drivers on openSUSE (as compared to SuSE-Pro), but I think it is fair to say that the openSUSE community is doing its best to try and ease the effort required to install proprietary drivers. There are also a lot more open source free drivers (that come with openSUSE) today, than there were in the past when SuSE-Pro was around.

Some say Novell’s strategy is to use openSUSE distribution (the old SuSE-Pro now made opensource and free of proprietary code) to test a lot of the code that eventually finds its way into Novell’s Linux products: SLED (SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) and SLES (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server).

Our forum supports openSUSE. There is a Novell forum that provides support for SLED and SLES.

Edit: My view is one can get a lot more 3rd party products (used by the average home user) for openSUSE than one can get for SLED/SLES.