Upgrade from 13.2 to Leap 42.1 caused Plasma crash and can't retrieve the GUI interface

Today, my attempt to upgrade from OpenSuse 13.2 to Leap 42.1 in HP EliteBook 8560p laptop ended up with huge troubles.
I can’t get my KDE GUI environment.:frowning:

I have followed the upgrade installation steps found at (written after the opensuse.org upgrade wiki):
https://www.unixmen.com/how-to-upgrade-to-opensuse-42-1-from-opensuse-13-2/

Problems:
After installation, the Leap 42.1 starts and prompts me for login, after login:

1. the desktop doesn’t appear, instead I get “Plasma closed unexpectedly” error window (Plasma crashed !)
    Workaround of using my laptop:**
    I could work with ONLY Failsafe and IceWM (I am writing this post on IceWN environment), all others: 1) Default, 2) Custom, 3) KDE Plasma Workspacem, 4) KDE Plasma Workspace (failsafe session), 5) Plasma 5 options giving the Plasma crash error.

I am pretty sure, I did something wrong before the installation, and my suspect is preparation about the repos, I need your help to fix this issue, please:

The ‘zypper lr -d’ output is as below:

#  | Alias                         | Name                                    | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                    | Service
---+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
 1 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss | Main Repository (NON-OSS)               | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/non-oss/      |        
 2 | download.opensuse.org-oss     | Main Repository (OSS)                   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/          |        
 3 | graphics                      | Graphics Project (openSUSE_leap/42.1)   | No      | ----      | No      |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/graphics/openSUSE_leap/42.1/ |        
 4 | openSUSE-leap/42.1-0          | openSUSE-leap/42.1-0                    | No      | ----      | No      |   99     | yast2  | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-hp_CDDVDW_TS-L633R_R82M6GDBA09646   |        
 5 | repo-debug                    | openSUSE-leap/42.1-Debug                | No      | ----      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/    |        
 6 | repo-debug-update             | openSUSE-leap/42.1-Update-Debug         | No      | ----      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/42.1/                   |        
 7 | repo-debug-update-non-oss     | openSUSE-leap/42.1-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | ----      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/42.1-non-oss/           |        
 8 | repo-source                   | openSUSE-leap/42.1-Source               | No      | ----      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/   |        
 9 | repo-update                   | openSUSE-42.1-Update                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.1/oss/                     |        
10 | repo-update-non-oss           | openSUSE-42.1-Update-Non-Oss            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.1/non-oss/                 |        

Try creating a new user account and see if you can login with that using kde

Created a new user, but no luck, same error (Plasma closed unexpectedly):frowning:

What is the GPU you have

The GPU is ATI Radeon HD 7400M

The GPU is ATI Radeon HD 7400M.

Note that, I disabled ‘graphics’ repo before running the upgrade (please look at ‘zypper lr -d’ output above). I am guessin, that was my BIG mistake? But, how the IceWM is working?

Did you have fglrx installed in 13.2?
You may need to reinstall it, or remove it properly.

Please post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
And install Mesa-demo-x and post the output of “glxinfo | grep render”.

Also, try to run plasmashell in an xterm inside IceWM, maybe there’s some interesting error message.

Note that, I disabled ‘graphics’ repo before running the upgrade (please look at ‘zypper lr -d’ output above). I am guessin, that was my BIG mistake?

No.
Actually having that repo enabled may have messed up things.

But, how the IceWM is working?

Well, it’s much simpler.
E.g. Plasma requires working OpenGL support.

AMD has dropped fglrx and it no longer is supported for newer kernels the new driver is amdgpu and amdgpu-pro. So if fglrx is installed it will not work uninstall it that should drop you back to amdgpu or if needed radeon driver.

Yes, and here is the list of the packages:

fglrx64_amdcccle_SUSE132 | fglrx amdcccle package| package    
fglrx64_core_SUSE132     | fglrx core package    | package    
fglrx64_graphics_SUSE132 | fglrx graphics package| package    
fglrx64_opencl_SUSE132   | fglrx opencl package| package    
fglrx64_xpic_SUSE132     | X Window display driver for the AMD graphics accelerators| package

file is too long to post....

jamil@Linux-Laptop:~> glxinfo | grep -i render
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

plasmashell output from the console:

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
org.kde.plasma: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
Plasma Shell startup completed
QEGLPlatformContext: Failed to create context: 3004
Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 2, swapInterval 1, profile  0) 
Application::crashHandler() called with signal 6; recent crashes: 1
KCrash: Application 'plasmashell' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 2, swapInterval 1, profile  0) 
Application::crashHandler() called with signal 6; recent crashes: 2
Application::crashHandler() called with signal 6; recent crashes: 3
Too many crashes in short order or respawning disabled, not restarting automatically.
Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment
QFile::at: Cannot set file position 32768

remove fglrx it does not work with newer kernels and AMD has dropped support in favor of AMDGPU

I have two library files in the system (as below), but I think I need the amdgpu driver installed. Where can I get the driver for 42.1 ?
Searched in the internet, there is rpm for 42.2. Can I install it for 42.1 ?

libdrm_amdgpu1
libdrm_amdgpu1-32bit

It built in you have got it. Some older cards don’t work and you have to blacklist it and use the radeon driver. But I think you card is OK but I can never figure out AMD numbering since they actually break down into families. I run NVIDIA hardware

Did you remove the fglrx stuff???

Problem solved :slight_smile:
After removing the fglrx packages, I got the KDE environment back.
Currently, I have selected **KDE Plasma.
Thanks everyone for your wonderful support.