Upgrade from 13.1 to 13.2 failed - Updating bootloader failed

I"m getting this on the upgrade - what can I do to fix it? Is the server likely to fail on a restart?

root=UUID=8d9cc8dc-add0-4cb0-907f-a77477454e69 rootflags=rw,relatime,data=ordered rootfstype=ext4*** Creating image file ***
*** Creating image file done ***
Update bootloader...
Can't locate PerlIO.pm in @INC (you may need to install the PerlIO module) (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.20.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.20.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.20.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.20.1 /usr/lib/perl5/5.20.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.20.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.20.1/Bootloader/Core/GRUB2.pm line 567.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
Updating bootloader failed

Seems to be a bug.

Found this where others were having the issue.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/502171-quot-Error-premature-end-of-file-vmlinuz-quot-after-upgrade-to-13-2

Used rescatux to restore the grub and can now boot into the system again.

Hope my other 12.3 server doesn’t have the same issue :frowning:

2nd server failed as well - not good! So far 100% failure upgrade rate. >:(

This time I had to run rescatux and the restore grub failed so had to use some other repair option where it removed and re-downloaded the grub file from Opensuse.

See here for the logs.
http://paste2.org/G1k86O48

One question:

Was this computer previously using grub2? Or was it using “legacy grub”?e

Probably legacy grub. Not 100% sure.

Its a old server that was upgraded from 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 etc - all the way up to 13.2

Legacy grub had a simpler menu.

Assuming it was legacy grub, that helps explain your problem. Legacy grub is no longer supported by opensuse. So it had to be switched to “grub2”. And apparently that switch doesn’t always go well. Others have also had problems with this.

If you have any more systems to upgrade to 13.2, then my suggestion would be to first switch them to “grub2” before upgrading. This can be done in Yast bootloader.

I think grub2 became available for opensuse 12.2, but it might have been 12.1.

I got similar error during online update (zypper dup) from 13.1 to 13.2 as well, but at the end it runs mkinitrd/update-bootloader multiple times, so it should finally install it.