Upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 --> hwprobe =-modules.pata

Dear all,

I try to upgrade my 11.0 system to 11.1.
Since 10.3 I have to add to the kernel when starting the installation system “hwprobe=-modules.pata” because I have more then 15 partition on my system. In 10.3 and 11.0 this worked allways fine and I was able to continue the installation.
When I now make the same procedure and add at the boot-time “hwprobe=-moules.pata” I after the Insatlltion-System has started and the program beginns to evaluate the system I get the message that I have to add the option. This means the option as describes in the reference manual does not work on my system anymore.

I have looked a litte bit more in the booting messages and I have found some slight differences:

System 11.0

drivers via82cxxx, pata_via, ata_generic, ide_pci_generic, pata_apci
loading via82cxxx

With this the system works fine.

System 11.1
drivers via82cxxx, pata_via*, ata_generic, ide_pci_generic, pata_apci
(line loading is missing, I think the * indicates the choosen driver)

Any ideas what to do, or will this bug be fixed soon?

best regards
Herby2

I suspect you are right, that what has happened is that the hwprobe has incorrectly guessed which kernel module to use. That is, it is loading (or trying to load) pata_via rather than via82cxxx. Take a look at what is built into your initrd; the module list is in /etc/sysconfig/kernel. (The list can be edited by hand and mkinitrd re-run from the shell, or it can all be done from YaST sysconfig editor).

You might also try using this kernel argument in the Boot Options from the grub menu:

brokenmodules=pata_via

With a via chipset, you may also need this:

pci=nomsi

Thanks, with your suggestions brokenmodules=pata_via it works and I was able to continue. But when I was in the stage that the system was analized I got now a new massage

Some partions in the system on /dev/hda5 are mounted by kernel-device name. This is not reliable for the update since kernel device names are unfortunately not persistent. It is strongly recommended to start the old system and change the mount-by method to any other method for all partitions

Any idea?

best regards herby2

You are OK.

The message you got is a caution, it is not an error. The caution is that in your fstab the partitions are identified by “device-name” (for example, /dev/sda5). The risk with that now is that storage devices are easily portable, for example, SATA, eSATA, and USB. In past years, most disks were IDE/PATA and rarely moved; the typical change would be to add a disk, which would not change the existing disk order. But when disks are moved or removed or inserted, the disk order can change (if you have sda, sdb, and sdc - and then remove sdb - sdc becomes sdb). So the major distros are now identifying the disks by “/dev/by-id” (the disk serial number) or “volume label” or “UUID” - these are persistent names. So if sdc is identified by its serial number and the device-name changes to sdb, there will not be a booting or mounting problem because the kernel will still find it the same.

Bottom line, you don’t need to do anything. But if sometimes change your storage devices, it might be a good idea to switch the identifier. You can do this in the fstab options in YaST Partitioner.

Thank you!

Hmm, herby2, did update 11.0 -> 11.1 work in the end?

This bug report seems to suggest the ipgrade is fragile:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=439262

After any boot issues were resolved, are you able to get a ‘complete & functional’ kde4 desktop after the upgrade?

Regards
Mark

Hello Mark,

After solving the boot issues I got a functional system also with KDE4 desktop – but I still use KDE 3.

At my first test I found that my webcam is not working , If have posted this issue:

Webcam Driver for 11:1 (gspca) - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums

best regards
Heribert