upgrade 13.2 to Leap 42.1 KILLED my graphics card

What the ****?

ThinkPad W500 being my sole tool for work. I was running OpenSUSE 13.2 and upgraded to Leap 42.1. As the doc. said I did that in init 3. After downloading and installing 1.9GB and rebooting I HAVE NO WORKING SCREEN. Zip, niente. Not even BIOS info. NOTHING!

What the **** I ask?

No BIOS screen???

You did backup before doing a major operation on an important machine right???

Can you boot to a DVD/USB? And which “DOC” did you follow?

This operation has scared the living Jesus out of me! I have no clue what magic souse has been included for the graphics.

I have just gutted the laptop. Thorn out the battery, HDD rebooted by pulling the AC adapter from the back - nothing. I continued to tear things out - the next was the BIOS memory battery.

SUCCESS!!!

After rebooting only on the AC adapter with no BIOS memory battery connected - I saw live pixels on the LCD.

I was starting to **** myself as currently I don’t have the money for the new hardware.

I reconnected the BIOS memory battery, put the case together, … After reboot I had to set the hardware clock. Automated reboot and… There it was - WORKING :smiley: The part of the BIOS responsible had to recreate some security stuff that work with the thumb reader, and… GRUB! YEY! It’s alive!

Leaf’s BRUBnow booted to my full HD resolution screen. It is an improvement over every version before as anything up to 13.2 was crapping itself with some artefacts not being able to handle the 1920 width but that’s a separate story.

If anything similar happens to anyone - that’s how I was able to get the succeeder back to life and I hope that I am the only person in the whole world this happens to. It was NOT FUNNY at all.

O!
and as for the DOC - I was following the https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

OK, my happiness was unwarranted :frowning:

W500 has two graphic cards.

1. some ****** Intel
  2. Nvidia for performance

Nvidia is the dead one. When I disconnected the BIOS memory battery - I have basically reseted all the BIOS setting to defaults switching to Intel’s GPU.

Screen shots:
https://goo.gl/photos/CTphG5fupfxRmnzF8
https://goo.gl/photos/DFtQfW3vhGWcNLbu7

It’s too late now but if I fix the probably wrongly overwritten firmware on the Nvidia - I’ll comment on this thread.

That configuration is called Optimus you must use special drivers to make it work right. It is a special hardware setup where the Intel GPU does all the actual rendering to screen but you can use NVIDIA which renders through the Intel. Rube Goldberg comes to mind

DO NOT install the regular NVIDIA driver. You must use Bumblebee. Follow instruction exactly here

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

Yes, mine too, and since my motherboard was so OLD, 1995 so did it. Now I purchased a new Desktop and it has Uei interface, Windows 7 home premium installed.
I am not sure, if I can load the Suse 42.1 on the sdb1 drive, which is the second hard drive. I was thinking of 100mb for /boot on 1, on sdb2 drive putting 10 gb swap, on sdb3 putting 40 gb on /root and on the rest of the terabite on sdb4 as /home. But do I need to put on the /boot drive as uei-boot, grub2 or something else? This is an Altex Veria VA63, ASUS A8XM-P/CSM Motherboard and an AMD A4-6300, 3.7 Ghz.
**Anybody have any idea, whether the UEI will allow a boot to sdb, instead of sda which is the windows on a 500 gb drive?

ok 100 meg is not enough for a /boot at min 400 me3g because openSUSE maintains multiple kernels. On the other hand are you talking about a 100 meg FAT formatted EFI boot partition mounted as /boot/efi. That is a different matter and not at all the same as a /boot partition

If dual booting you should use the same boot methods (EFI/legacy) for both. If single OS it does not really matter and using legacy is no problem but then you don’t need a EFI boot partition.

If the boot of the original OS was EFI then the disk is using GPT partitioning and you can have more then 4 primary partitions. If legacy then it uses the older MS partitioning which is limited to 4 primary partitions one of which can be an extended which can hold multiple logical. If the the disk uses GPT then probably fewer problems using EFI boot if MS format the you must use legacy.

Hope that helps. The video advise still stands