Upgrade 11.4 to 12.1 : issues report

I successfully upgrade my notebook (HP mini 311c, Nvidia ION, Atom 270) with zypper dup (disable all repo, and upgrade from repo 12.1 OSS, NON-OSS, Update), from 11.4 to 12.1
I use Xfce as desktop environment (DE).

Here some issues I encountered and work around so for those who want to upgrade, be prepared :slight_smile:

Upgrade :

1241 packages to upgrade, 35 to downgrade, 217 new, 104 to remove, 38  to 
change vendor, 12 to change arch.

Nvidia driver : just have to run the installer of Nvidia proprietary driver
Wireless : Broadcom (4312). I rebuild the broadcom-wl driver source package that I have installed in 11.4

Font issue in Firefox. Solution : add repo Index of /subpixel/openSUSE_12.1/ and install freetype2-feature-subpixel-hinting fontconfig-feature-subpixel-hinting

Firefox 7. Solution : enable 11.4 Update repo and update to firefox 8

Mousepad (Xfce file editor) missing. Solution : enable 11.4 OSS and install it from there

=> a bit weird that you have to enable old repo to have what you want … But if it works so … I supposed that I have to disable 11.4 repo as soon that I get what I need.

systemd : I don’t boot any faster : 40s :frowning: Maybe it is hardware botleneck (but winXP boot faster so … I was hopping on systemd). I noted that every script in /etc/init.d/ are started. I supposed that it for sysvinit compatibility. For example, sshd (openssh) package don’t have sshd.service file yet so it is started by /etc/init.d/sshd Problem : everything is started even those I disabled with the old sysvinit system. Solution : use sysvinit system until systemd is more “popular”

Theme issue : Yast ran by “xdg-su -c yast2” don’t have my current theme. Maybe because my desktop theme is a gtk2 theme ?

I am assuming that an update to firefox 8 will show up in the next few days.

As for missing “mousepad” - maybe you should file a bug report on that. Things don’t get fixed unless a bug report is filed.