Updating using USB stick from openSuse leap 42.3 to leap 15.0

I have an I7 dual boot system using grub boot utility allowing me to chose either win-10 or openSuse Linux leap 42.3.

I have flashed on a 16 GB USB stick an leap 15 .iso image on Win 10 using Etcher as indicated in documentation & all worked fine.
When I try to boot the new system in order to upgrade to openSuse leap 15.0, the system would NOT boot from USB memory sticker I just flashed, but would boot grub as before even though the flashed stick was plugged in.

Do I have to change booting sequence in my BIOS on my PC?
Today the BIOS indicates DVD, SDD disk, Ata internel disk and SanDisk. Does SanDisk means USB stick? Do I have to put that in front?
Are there any dangers in upgrading from 42.3 to 15.0 leap in terms of SDD disk space? please help…

What I do not understand is that you say you have a working openSUSE and nevertheless you used a Windows program to write the ISO to the USB memory.

Why not simply use

dd if=<name>.iso of=/dev/sdX 

Then all people here would understand what you did and be assured that you created it properly. Now all those that never use Windows can not say anything useful and those who know how Windows works and what Etcher is can still not be sure your did it correct.

And, yes, there may be settings in your BIOS that decide if booting from an USB device is possible and if it is tried before other devices. But that depends on your BIOS and thus on your PC type. Telling what you have may bring you people that have the same.

I agree the creation of USB stick would have been simpler under Suse Linux. I did it under win-10 because previously I used to burn a dvd under win-10 for leap 42.1,42.2 and 42.3.
This said, using win-10 I flashed the stick & after changing BIOS boot sequence to indicate SanDisk, I did succeed in booting leap 15.0 and I happily updated my system.

All worked fast & fine till nearly the end. All packages got properly updated and installed the installation was nearly 95% done, when a sudden error message popped up saying “invalid merge argument grub2-efi for grub2” asking me if I want to launch the debugger and indicate an error. I avoided to launch debugger (I am not an expert) since it was mentioned " for experts only", I noted the msg (see prev statement) and I continued.

Now when grub boots two options are there: leap 15.0 or win 10. Win 10 works perfectly, but not leap 15.0.
When I choose to boot leap 15.0 the system stops on a graphic screen where a white square moves up & down over triangle-like container. I dare suggest that X Server failed to start(?), I got no graphic logon scree.

ATF-F1 says “kwm stoped”, but has no logon prompt, (ALT-F2-F6) other consoles show “no logon prompt”, ALT-F7 brings back the graphic scree but no logon screen in graphic mode either.

Shall I go back to leap 42.3? Are there ways to improve leap 15.0 update? Can you please help and/ or advise? thanks for your patience, understanding and support, friendly yours SH

[QUOTE=sharphawk;2881751]

I agree the creation of USB stick would have been simpler under Suse Linux.

I did it under win-10 because previously I used to burn a DVD under win-10 for leap 42.1,42.2 and 42.3. In addition my usage of win 10 is in line with OpenSuse documentation that advises using Etcher for USB flashing (see link https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Create_a_Live_USB_stick_using_Windows) and flashing worked perfectly well.

After changing BIOS boot sequence to indicate SanDisk, I did succeed in booting leap 15.0 and I finally started to update my system.

All worked fast & fine till nearly the end. All packages got properly updated and installed the installation was nearly 95% done, when a sudden error message popped up saying “invalid merge argument grub2-efi for grub2” asking me if I want to launch the debugger and indicate an error. I avoided to launch debugger (I am not an expert) since it was mentioned " for experts only", I noted the msg (see prev statement) and I continued.

Now when grub boots three options are present: Leap 15.0, Leap 15.0 rescue system and win 10. Win 10 works perfectly, but not Leap 15.0.
When I choose to boot leap 15.0 the system stops on a graphic screen in which a white square moves up & down over triangle-like container. NO logon screen appears.

When using ALT-F1, there is a msg saying “KVM disabled by BIOS”, next the login screen appears and I can login and I have access to various utilities e.g. mc.
Other consoles (ALT-F2->ALT-F6) work too, I can login as root as well. Generally speaking character mode seem to work. Thus, I tend to think that for some reason the X server did not start for some reason and thus the graphic screen is not presented.

Shall I go back to leap 42.3? Are there ways to improve leap 15.0 update? Can you please help and/ or advise? thanks for your patience, support & understanding friendly yours SH

You have now a different problem, which is not covered by your thread title.

It is better that you start a new thread for each of your problems. That is the best way to draw the attention of people that know things about the subject you mention in your thread title(s).

Thanks will do !!