Updating open suse 11.0 kde 4.0 build service

Dear all
I would be grateful if some one could explain to me the purpose of the open suse build service???

If i enable the community and kde 4 desktop build service repo`s and i agree to an update what am i getting???

How does it work in conjuction with the normal open suse repo`s main-oss and non-oss etc …

Hope i have made myself clear

regards

Adrian

The build service is just an easy way to bundle software for SUSE, instead of having to add a repo and finding the right things to install, you can use a 1 click install and that will install everything you need. It works fairly well, and you can even package software for other distro’s. As for the KDE thing, if your running 10.3 and want KDE 4.0.4 (soon to be 5) you can easily install that with 1 click, You can then choose to add those repos to your list permanently, so you’ll always get the most updated packages of KDE 4.0.x (or KDE4 stable) They also have a KDE4 unstable, which is KDE 4.1 (4.0.80 because it’s not released or finished yet, it’s still beta)

thanks for your reply,it has made things a little clearer

regards

Adrian

The build service is great once you understand what it does, but you’ve really got to use it to see the true power it offers.

The build service is great. Here’s a caution though: I would enable it as a repo in an experimental or cutting edge installation of openSUSE. But not for my working, everyday installation of openSUSE. If you update off of the Build Service repos you get packages that are unproven in the 10.3 environment. So yes they’re great but be aware of the old saying “risk is proportional to reward”.