Updating ATI Catalyst (10.6 to 10.8)

Guys seems that I can’t remove my old 10.6 catalyst drivers.
First I have removed both fglrx packages installed from ATI repo. Then I removed the xorg file, run mkinitrd and finally a reboot to start again with radeon drivers. (fglrx module is not running anymore).

After that I run the 10.8 installation script, aticonfig --initial, mkinitrd and finally the reboot.
Now the fglrx module is running but when I open de catalyst control center the information tab shows catalyst 10.6 drivers version (8.741 package version).

Radeon HD2400 + openSUSE 11.3.

Is there something else I should remove before installing catalyst drivers again?

Please with a text editor open the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log when booting to X and then copy the contents of that file to pastbin.org or pastebin.ca or pastebin.be or someother pastebin site, and then post here the web site address/URL in which the pastebin content is located.

The “aticonfig --initial” also will create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. What happens if you rename that file (such that no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file exists) and then reboot ? Do you get the same behaviour ?

mkinitrd should NOT be needed in this case, unless you were messing with KMS settings?

Do you get same behaviour with and without xorg.conf if you have ‘nomodeset’ specified also as a boot code.

Thanks oldcpu.
My Xorg.0.log: pastebin - Xorg.0.log - post number 1926931
Have noticed an error line about the video driver input.

As you said system keeps same behavior with or without the xorg.conf file.

I noted this:

#  3545.192] (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.76.7
#  3545.192] (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.762                               
#  3545.192] (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Aug  3 2010 21:16:01
#  3545.192] (II) RADEONHD: X driver for the following AMD GPG (ATI) graphics devices:

which is the same I get. This suggests to me the latest Catalyst is loaded, and rather the software you are using to tell the version (probably the openSUSE sysinfo) may have the problem?).

i upgraded from 10.5 and the ATI control center gui reports that i’m still using the old driver too, there must be a glitch in changing some status file in the driver install routine.

one step forward, two steps back. (maybe it’s only half a step)

Yeah I’m not sure what’s going on with mine either. I followed all instructions to remove the old fglrx drivers and ran the newly downloaded 10.8.run file. (ran the uninstall file from /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh and then reboot into run level 3 and ran the install .run file to install)

Installer indicated no issues, however upon reboot Catalyst Control Center still reports 10.7 as being the installed driver.

What am I doing wrong? I have a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450. Pastebin of my Xorg.0.log file is linked below if it helps.

130.503] (II) fglrx(0): Mo - Anonymous - A5eB29Bz - Pastebin.com](http://pastebin.com/A5eB29Bz)

i don’t think it’s anything but a driver install script error, mine installed properly is being used by the kernel. Whatever method that amdcccle uses to read the current driver is not being updated by installing the new driver.

my 2 cents.

Your probably right, after closer inspection of the xorg log I saw this section:

18.011] (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel PAGE_SIZE:          0x1000
18.011] (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel __SMP__:            yes
18.011] (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel MODVERSIONS:        no
18.011] (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel UTS_RELEASE:        2.6.34-12-default
18.011] (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Build Time Information:
18.011] (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version matches driver.
18.011] (II) fglrx(0):     Desc: ATI FireGL DRM kernel module
18.011] (II) fglrx(0):     Date: Aug  3 2010
18.011] (II) fglrx(0):     Version: 8.76.7
18.011] (II) fglrx(0):     Name: fglrx
18.011] (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:

Am I correct in assuming that what I pasted above indicates that the newest fglrx driver is indeed being used? Since what I assume are the newest Version number and Date are being displayed? (I think the older driver had a date of July 2010)

EDIT: Ahh I see both you and oldcpu already pointed this out, sorry i’m just a newb and it takes a while for some of this to … stick. I wonder why the AMDCCCLE isn’t updating the polling information correctly for us but is for oldcpu and others? hmmm…

I am having the same issue on a openSuSE 11.1 from 10.5 to 10.8 and on 11.3 from 10.6 to 10.8. I even tried 10.7 too and still had the same issue.

I did check my Xorg.0.log and it is reporting:

24.496] (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.76.7
24.496] (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.762      

amdcccle still report 7.641 - 10.6.

The reason for my upgrade to to try and add a third screen but that fails and I’ve been wondering if it is because CCC doesn’t see the correct version and therefore doesn’t know how to configure it correctly.

I updated 10.6 to 10.8 using the procedure I described in this script (some scripting to upgrade ATI Catalyst from 10.6 (repo) to 10.8 (run))
The machine is an iMac with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT.
Here’s what I get in Catalyst Control Center:

Catalyst Version: 10.6
Driver Packaging Version: 8.741-100527a-100955C-ATI
2D Driver Version: 8.76.7
Catalyst Control Center Version: 2.13
RandR Version: 1.3

I did create an rpm an install from there.
Otherwise I can see a difference : X seems to start faster on that iMac.

I also did an update from 10.7 to 10.8 ( and never installed 10.6 at all there) on a HD 4290 … but this computer is off right now. I’ll report later if I find something interesting.