Updates to KDE in Tumbleweed

I am currently running 12.1 Tumbleweed and loving it so far. I do have a question though.
I noticed that I am still running KDE 4.7.2 and the KDE team has released 4.7.3 and 4.7.4.
So, my question is, is it possible (or advisable) to upgrade a 12.1 Tumbleweed install to
either one of these?

Thanks,

C.Durbin

Glad you are “loving it”, but it’s not Tumbleweed as there are no tumbleweed packages for 12.1 yet. Have a read of this post by the tumbleweed maintainer (greg k-h) on the factory mailing list.

You must be running 12.1, so your KDE question is really about standard 12.1 or not so standard if 4.7.3 is installed. :slight_smile:

There are many RPM differences between vanilla 12.1 and Tumbleweed 12.1, based mainly on the Packman repos. e.g. if I change repos from the Tumbleweed suite to the vanilla suite, and run an upgrade (zypper dup), I get 80 packages to be downgraded back to the 12.1 versions. So it has begun in earnest. And if you look in here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/

you’ll see the trickle has begun there as well.

Those KDE versions will filter through and appear in the Tumbleweed repos when they become stably integrable with the Tumbleweed suite of RPMs. KDE 4.7.3 is appearing in the openSUSE Factory repos, but only in the unstable section, and to attach KDE repos and upgrade KDE at this time would be unwise, might break, your installation. It’s really a question of how far out on the cliff you want to go, and the new KDEs would maybe put you on the crumbling lip right now.

swerdna, is this another leg-pull? :smiley: Since when was Tumbleweed defined by the packman repo? At the moment they must be just packages compiled against 12.1’s kernel, etc.

How many packages have you installed from the tumbleweed repo? I looked in mine just before posting, and there were none to install. :slight_smile:

Concused,

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but please don’t try to tell me what my question is or is not about. I know what system I am running, I know
what repos are enabled and which ones aren’t on my system. I am not using the standard repos, I am using the Tumbleweed repos. Now,
whether packages have been submitted there or not is an entirely different matter and not the question I was asking. As swerdna pointed
out, packages are being updated in the Packman Tumbleweed repo and now the Tumbleweed Standard repo as well.

My question was should I/could I enable the KDE factory repos to upgrade to the newest version of KDE or would they eventually make it
into Tumbleweed. From what swerdna said on his second post, they will eventually make it there which is the answer I was looking for.

Thanks!

Curbin,

Are you sure, which standard repos aren’t you using? There is only one Tumbleweed repo (excluding Packman repo) Does that mean you have not enabled 12.1 Oss, Non-oss, and Update repos?

On the KDE question, you probably shouldn’t do it. BTW KDE 4.7.2 didn’t make into 11.4 Tumbleweed and 4.6.5 had to be withdrawn.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I haven’t installed any RPMs from Greg K-H’s repo; I didn’t say I had installed any. I didn’t say that Tumbleweed is defined by the Packman repos. I did say that “there are many RPM differences between vanilla 12.1 and Tumbleweed 12.1, based mainly on the Packman repos.”

For ppl who have installed the recommended suite of repos for Tumbleweed, if they were to switch back to the vanilla 12.1 repos and run a zypper dup, just to see experimentally what the current differences are, they would find a large number of changes, and that defines a significant divergence between vanilla 12.1 and Packman 12.1., a bit like this example of mine where the differences are today approx 150:

The following packages are going to be upgraded:
gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugin-esd gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon kio_audiocd kmix kscd libamrwb3 libdvdplay0 libgmyth0 libgstapp-0_10-0 libgstbasecamerabinsrc-0_10-0
libgstbasevideo-0_10-0 libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 libgstphotography-0_10-0 libgstreamer-0_10-0 libgstreamer-0_10-0-32bit libgstsignalprocessor-0_10-0 libgstvdp-0_10-0 libkcddb4 libkcompactdisc4 libopencv2_3 librtmp0 libslv2-9 libstrigi0 libvlc5 libvlccore4 libxvidcore4
normalize vlc vlc-noX vlc-qt xvidcore

The following packages are going to be downgraded:
aaa_base aaa_base-extras acroread apache2 apache2-doc apache2-example-pages apache2-prefork apache2-utils bind-libs bind-utils btrfsprogs cron cronie flash-player gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mpegdemux
gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mpegmux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gtk2-data gtk2-immodule-amharic gtk2-immodule-inuktitut gtk2-immodule-thai gtk2-immodule-vietnamese gtk2-tools gtk2-tools-32bit k3b k3b-codecs liba52-0 libaudio2 libblkid1 libbs2b0 libdca0 libfaac0 libfaad2
libgtk-2_0-0 libgtk-2_0-0-32bit libmount1 libmpeg2-0 libmpg123-0 libmsn0_3 libnm-glib4 libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm-util2 libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libpackagekit-glib2-14 libpackagekit-qt2-2 libprojectM2 libpyglib-gi-2_0-python0 libsnapper1 libtsmux0 libtwolame0
libuuid1 libuuid1-32bit mjpegtools mjpegtools-libs MozillaFirefox MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE MozillaThunderbird NetworkManager PackageKit PackageKit-browser-plugin PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin PackageKit-gtk3-module PackageKit-gtk-module perl-IO-Socket-SSL
polkit-default-privs projectM pullin-flash-player python-gobject python-gobject-cairo release-notes-openSUSE smplayer snapper snapper-zypp-plugin SuSEfirewall2 util-linux wpa_supplicant yast2-kerberos-client yast2-ldap-client

The following packages are going to be reinstalled:
amarok ffmpeg gmplayer lame libavcodec52 libavcodec53 libavdevice52 libavdevice53 libavfilter2 libavformat52 libavformat53 libavutil50 libavutil51 libbluray1 libmad0 libmp3lame0 libpostproc51 libquicktime0 libswscale0 libswscale2 libwavpack1 libx264-119 libxine1
libxine1-codecs libxine1-gnome-vfs libxine1-pulse linphone MPlayer sox transcode

The following packages are going to change vendor:
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad PackMan :: Startseite -> openSUSE
kio_audiocd openSUSE -> PackMan :: Startseite
kmix openSUSE -> PackMan :: Startseite
kscd openSUSE -> PackMan :: Startseite
libkcddb4 openSUSE -> PackMan :: Startseite
libkcompactdisc4 openSUSE -> PackMan :: Startseite
libstrigi0 openSUSE -> PackMan :: Startseite
mjpegtools PackMan :: Startseite -> openSUSE

So no, I wasn’t trying a leg-pull. I was trying to correct any impression cdurbin might get from you that Tumbleweed (defined by the recommended suite of repos) was not diverging from vanilla 12.1.

ATM Tumbleweed repos contain only a couple of packages. We have to be patient and wait for the Tumbleweed repos to fill. “Running Tumbleweed” is out of order for now.

sigh just not going to let it go are you?

My system is setup according to the instructions found in this post:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/tumbleweed/461793-new-users-tumbleweed-articles-other-resources.html

More specifically, the how-to guide written by swerdna:
http://forums.opensuse.org/content/55-how-upgrade-opensuse-12-x-tumbleweed.html

I also have some repos that I use for various package updates, but they’re not really important to this conversation. All the standard 12.1 repos have been removed and replaced with the repos listed in swerdna’s guide.

Any more questions?

I see Tumbleweed as never ceasing, never being “out of order” (except by accident LOL). If users have the correctly defined repos attached, they will transit from openSUSE background version X to background version X+1 on the day that Greg K-H does a behind-the-scenes alteration of the repo symlinks, presumably on or very near the day that X+1 is released. Prior to, on and after that day, the Tumbleweed process should go on, not halt for an “out of order” period.

Of course, that’s the theory. This is the first time that the symlinked repos have been in place when X has changed to X+1. But I didn’t hear of any problems. And I am doing regular zypper dups that take the full suite of repos into the picture, no problems, no need to hold off.

The Tumbleweed repo will not be provisioned one day in bulk. Packages will continue to trickle in and out of the repo as changes occur in factory/stable, and in oss-updates, with the fewest number in the repo being on the day after and X –> X+1 event and the greatest number being on the day before an X –> X+1 event (more or less).

Technically speaking if you went ahead with a zypper dup now, you would be running 12.1 modified with Packman packages from an “Additional Repository”, that will cause some 12.1 rpm’s on your system to change, but still sourced from 12.1 standard repos. In my book that is a standard 12.1 + Packman, but not vanilla and not yet a Tumbleweed system until you add/replace with packages sourced from Greg’s repo. If you distinguish between a vanilla 12.1 system and a Packman 12.1 system, you can’t change it again by adding an empty repo. :slight_smile:

You are playing with words in an attempt to have the “last word”.

[PS and you’re wrong in that if you run a standard 12.1 with 12.1’s Packman you don’t have Tumbleweed, you have vanilla 12.1 – and if you run a standard 12.1 with Tumbleweed Packman, then you have Tumbleweed, which is quite different]

[PPS I’m going to work now]

No more questions here. It seems that you haven’t understood “openSUSE Current oss” and “openSUSE 12.x oss” are the same repos since 12.1 is the current release. The same goes for the non-oss and update repos. Both sets point to the standard 12.1 repos, until 12.2 is released. :slight_smile:

Nobody has suggested it would be. But there is a gap where you only have 12.1 rpm’s + packman rpm’s.

Wow…I’ve been a member here since 2008 and have never had to do this: welcome to my ignore list consused.

No, I disagree with that assertion of yours.

I hope this makes my point clearer than my last post seems to have done:

openSUSE 12.1 is vanilla i.e only the distribution repos plus update.
12.1 + packman is a standard 12.1 system for most users, probably based on a default install plus the Additional Repository.
12.1 + packman-tumbleweed is just standard 12.1 with an Additional Repository (rather like adding a KDE repo).
12.1 + Tumbleweed (containing installable packages), with/without packman, then you have a Tumbleweed system.

Have a good day at work. :slight_smile:

Wow… 30 posts in all that time… I won’t miss your replies then. :wink:

I looked at this thread as it seemed interesting to me and I wanted to learn what Tumbleweed was… But it seems to have dissolved into a *****ing match… Is this appropriate in a forum that I would hope would provide a level of advice for those interested in improving their knowledge of openSuse? I just feel confused now :frowning:

You could add the repos for KDE 4.7.3 or 4.7.4 (if they exist) since they are compatible but it wont be a Tumbleweed version since Tumbleweed will include a version of KDE as well. As other users said its a matter of time. Still, if you want to have a new version of KDE try adding the repos from the upstream version found here KDE repositories - openSUSE
Have fun :slight_smile:

Penguinclaw: Tumbleweed is not hard at all. In a small tutorial all you have to do is: 1. install opensuse, 2. add/enable the repos oss, non-oss, updates and tumbleweed as explained here http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed, 3. add the Packman repo for Tumbleweed using the infos from this file http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/packman.repo (name and url) and finally 4 run sudo zypper refresh followed by sudo zypper dup and “voila!” you are running Tumbleweed.