Updates don't succeed: broken pipe

I use openSUSE 11.1. I can’t do any updates because of the following error:


Er is een fout opgetreden bij de initialisatie van de installatiebron.
'openSUSE-11.1-Updates': |] Failed to cache repo (4).
Geschiedenis:
- 'repo2solv.sh' '-o' '/var/cache/zypp/solv/openSUSE-11.1-Updates/solv' '/var/cache/zypp/raw/openSUSE-11.1-Updates'
sed: couldn't write 52 items to stdout: Broken pipe
grep: writing output: Broken pipe
grep: writing output: Broken pipe
grep: writing output: Broken pipe
grep: writing output: Broken pipe
(etc. etc.  x 1000)

/usr/bin/repo2solv.sh: line 325: 7162 Done ( echo '<rpmmd>'; for i in primary.xml* susedata.xml*;
do
test -s "$i" || continue; case $i in 
*.gz)
gzip -dc "$i"
;;
*.bz2)
bzip2 -dc "$i"
;;
*)
cat "$i"
;;
esac; echo; break;
done; for i in susedata.xml*;
do
test -s "$i" || continue; case $i in 
*.gz)
gzip -dc "$i"
;;
*.bz2)
bzip2 -dc "$i"
;;
*)
cat "$i"
;;
esac; break;
done; echo '</rpmmd>' )
7163 | grep -v '\?xml'
7164 Done(4) | sed '1i\<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>'
7166 Segmentation fault | rpmmd2solv $parser_options > $primfile

I tried many things, like removing and installing the repository again, using a mirror, etc. etc. Nothing helps.

What can I do to repair this?

I think you need to manually go to the update repo and download these 2

2009-06-11 03:57:32|install|satsolver-tools|0.13.7-0.1.1|i586|root@linux-khq3|repo-update|42ad2dbdf32b315354c4bc2a3836f4ae12ec2b5f

2009-06-11 03:57:38|install**|libzypp**|5.30.3-0.1.1|i586||repo-update|2465a430882001f8a8de6eb0e9c827417c957e07

Install with:

rpm -Uhv *package_name --force

Thanks for replying! The command you gave was not quite correct, but you pointed me in the right direction.

For the benefit of other people with the same problem, I will document extensively what I did. This is how I solved the problem:

  1. I downloaded the files you named, from a mirror server:

libzypp:
ftp://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/update/11.1/rpm/i586/libzypp-5.30.3-0.1.1.i586.rpm

and

satsolver-tools:
ftp://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/update/11.1/rpm/i586/satsolver-tools-0.13.7-0.1.1.i586.rpm

  1. Then I moved them from my desktop, to my personal folder.

  2. There I renamed them, respectively to sat.rpm and lib.rpm.

  3. Then I opened a terminal window with root rights (su).

  4. There I typed the following commands:


rpm --force -i sat.rpm

(Then I pressed Enter)

and:


rpm --force -i lib.rpm

(Then I pressed Enter)

That solved the problem! Then I could do Online Update again in Yast.

FYI:
To make sure it’s easy and No typo’s occur when trying to install a .rpm
Place files in a folder on their own then open a terminal at that location then start su mode. The start typing: rpm -Uhv (now enter the first letter or so of the package name and then hit TAB) - It will auto complete for you. Then if required add the option eg: --force