updates change bootmanager list

Dear Readers,
Am running Suse11.2 with kernel 2.6.31.08.01
Permitting regular online updates yesterday automatically entered
a new line in the bootmanager with kernel 2.6.31.12.01

This line does not work.
Have found additional software “multiversion” ??

Is it really advantageous to have two different kernels to
choose ???

thank you for reading

jackson

Usually the old kernel is removed.
What does

rpm -qa | grep kernel

say?

Are you telling us that you enabled multi-version and you get an error trying to boot the latest kernel? But you can still boot the old kernel.

Also please post your /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Looks like mkinitrd has not run after kernel upgrade…Does 2.6.31-8 from bootmenu still work?

jacpra@linux-ag0n:~> #äö.,
jacpra@linux-ag0n:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.31-3.4.noarch
kernel-desktop-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586
jacpra@linux-ag0n:~>

Thank you for help

No, I cannot boot the new kernel
I had never installed or used “multiversion”
The new line in the bootmanager just came on after
an automatic update.

Thank you

here is the menu.lst:

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Feb 8 16:57:45 CET 2010

THIS FILE WILL BE PARTIALLY OVERWRITTEN by perl-Bootloader

Configure custom boot parameters for updated kernels in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader

default 2
timeout 8
##YaST - generic_mbr
gfxmenu (hd0,8)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Desktop – openSUSE 11.2 - 2.6.31.12-0.1
kernel repair=1 x11failsafe resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAJB-00WGA0_WD-WCARW2960643-part6 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a
initrd

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.2 - 2.6.31.12-0.1
kernel showopts apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x31a
initrd

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Desktop–SUSE LINUX -11.2 kernel 2.6.31.8-0.1
root (hd0,8)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAJB-00WGA0_WD-WCARW2960643-part9 repair=1 x11failsafe resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAJB-00WGA0_WD-WCARW2960643-part6 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: SUSE LINUX -11.0 (/dev/sda5)###
title SUSE LINUX -11.0 (/dev/sda5)
root (hd0,4)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – SUSE LINUX -11.2 kernel 2.6.31.8-0.1
root (hd0,8)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAJB-00WGA0_WD-WCARW2960643-part9 showopts apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd

The first item on top was never installed:
Irun only suse 11.2 on hda 8 and
the old version suse 11.0 on hda5

Meanhile I have resorted to the original menu.lst.
I think it would be frustrating for me not to know where and
what new kernel versions to run or test.

Thank you anyway for help
from jackson in Austria

Something definitely went wrong during kernel upgrade. The lines for 2.6.31-12 boot the same kernel as those for 2.6.31-8, impossible.

Boot from install media, start installer, at the point where choice “New installation” is, pick hidden choice “Boot installed system”, select the partition 11.2 is on and boot it.
Once in 11.2, start the software installer, search for “kernel-”, and update found packages unconditionally. That should recreate a bootloader configuration as well. Check the menu.lst afterwards.
If the problem’s the same, run ‘su -c mkinitrd’, reconfigure the bootloader from Yast.

Sorry, i did not make myself clear:

the first line with the new kernel (12.01)

does not work
when i click it!!!
I can start the system only with the line
with old (kernel 08.01)
Anyway I do not want to fiddle with different kernel versions.

i can always go back to the original menu.lst in grub,
that i have as backup.

Thank you so much for the help!!!

AFAIC this is booting the correct kernel you just have the wrong title…

title Desktop -- openSUSE 11.2 - **2.6.31.12**-0.1
kernel repair=1 x11failsafe resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAJB-00WGA0_WD-WCARW2960643-part6 
title Desktop--SUSE LINUX -11.2 kernel **2.6.31.8**-0.1
root (hd0,8)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAJB-00WGA0_WD-WCARW2960643-part9 repair=1 x11failsafe 

It is using the soft link to use the latest version as you only have one kernel I would presume the kernel is working but the menu.lst hasn’t quite been generated correctly.

Hi Knurpht,

Sorry for asking you again. Here seems to be more suitable for my question.

Can you tell me where I can find this hidden option “Boot installed system”? What I found is three options: New Installation, Update and Repair Installed System.

In short my problem is that after update of the new kernel I couldn’t shut down my PC and I tried to repair it and then couldn’t access the computer. Your method seems promising but before I could make another big mistake I’d like to make it clear.

Thanks in advance!

I have OpenSuse 11.2 installed.

Follow the ‘New Installation’ option
If you carry on another step or so you see the option being referred to - I think.
If necessary I can boot a dvd for you to check

Thank you for the quick response! I tried myself what you said but didn’t see the hidden option. After the “New Installation” there’re time, partition and so on till real installation.

I’ll check this later when I get back home.
:slight_smile:

These are the stages:

At this page, select ‘Repair Installed System’
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pjg-Rjny-8tpHcZVDxI02Yiy84zJ5yMzm9PtzsnXqVoX5rbefLQIWKM1mYJ0zxYeJralOGaVln6YtaBsp0MiHdw/pic5-select%20New%20Install.png

And then
http://thumbnails20.imagebam.com/6835/f4188568346215.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/f4188568346215)

And then choose to boot Installed System
http://thumbnails28.imagebam.com/6835/95f99768346214.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/95f99768346214)

Thank you very much for the extra work and advice!

As I saw the pictures I realized immediately that the hidden option “boot installed system” isn’t located in the mode of “New Installation” but in “Repair Installed System” instead. Actually the option “Repair Installed System” can be also found when booting OpenSuSe 11.2 DVD. The both have the same funtion.

Followed your guide I tried “Repair Installed System”, “Expert Tools”, “Boot Installed System”. There seemed to be some reactions inside but after a while the screen stayed unchanged. I then try another hidden option “Install New Boot Loader” and this time I made it! The PC could boot without any problem and all I did before came back. Although the PC still can not shut down itself I’m satisfied with the situation now.

Thanks again!

BTW, I had only bad experiences with “Automatic Repair” and after the reparation the system normally couldn’t access. I’d like to suggest that some more hidden options be set in the “Repair Tool Box” such as “set back previous installed kernel/set back previous graphic card driver/back up previous saved loadmanager list/back up previous saved bootloader”, and any other important parameters which could result in a system instable. A user should know what he installed or updated and should relize at first time what went wrong and take some responding actions.

Hopefully the shutdown problem will be fixed with the next update.

Yes, the sooner the better.