updated to openSUSE 11.2: no network

Hi all -

I have jsut upgraded from openSUSE 11.1 to 11.2 following these instructions.
After rebooting into 11.2, several things are broken, the most serious of which is that the computer has no network at all.
Wifi is operating normally and connecting to the router, but even with a wired ethernet connection, ping, DNS lookup and all network services (including access to the repositories) are not working.

KDE 4 says that new hardware is detected, and asks to configure the network device “computer.” But, after the message that network manager is controlling the network device and that it should be switched to traditional ifup method, it says that "the package “iw” should be installed. Then it offers to install it, but, without a working network connection, is unable to reach the repositories.
Again, even with a direct ethernet connection the computer is not reaching the network, but the hardware seems to be configured and working properly.

Network access is also not working in gnome or KDE 3.

This is a Lenovo s10e netbook with no cd-rom drive, and I do not have a live USB. How can I get network access working again?
Once I have that I can set about fixing the other broken things in the install.

Thank you all!
adpads

I copied this from another thread. It should help with your network problem.

Default Re: problem: wireless to wlan works - no internet access
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcpu
STARTMODE in both cases equals “auto”.

This is your problem. At least it was for me when I was having problems reaching the internet. Under YaST > Network Devices > Network Settings select your wireless interface and click edit. Click on the General tab and find ‘Activate Device’. From this drop down menu select ‘On cable connection’ instead of Auto. Finish the configuration and try wireless again.

The wireless adapter is already set to “on cable connection,” while the ethernet adaptor is set to “at boot time.” I don’t see a setting for “auto.” There is no way to save these settings without entering manual settings for the “traditional ifup” method…

Also, under the hardware tab, I don’t see a kernel module listed for my wifi card - is this a problem?
Using dhclient I am able to acquire an IP address on the command line, but I am still not able to use the network.

Thanks again
adpads

This thread is in the wrong subforum area. It should be under Wireless - openSUSE Forums in order to get the attention of our wireless experts.

In around 15 minutes, I will move this thread to the correction subforum area, and post that it has been moved.

Ok, I have moved the thread …

and the follow up post where more detail was provided:

Hopefully by this move, the thread will be more obvious to our wireless/network guru’s and will work out ok for those who monitor via NNTP.

On 11/10/2009 09:36 AM, oldcpu wrote:
>
> Ok, I have moved the thread …
>
>
> adpads;2062874 Wrote:
>> I have jsut upgraded from openSUSE 11.1 to 11.2 following ‘these
>> instructions.’ (http://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade/11.2)
>> After rebooting into 11.2, several things are broken, the most serious
>> of which is that the computer has no network at all.
>> Wifi is operating normally and connecting to the router, but even with
>> a wired ethernet connection, ping, DNS lookup and all network services
>> (including access to the repositories) are not working.
>>
>> KDE 4 says that new hardware is detected, and asks to configure the
>> network device “computer.” But, after the message that network manager
>> is controlling the network device and that it should be switched to
>> traditional ifup method, it says that "the package “iw” should be
>> installed. Then it offers to install it, but, without a working network
>> connection, is unable to reach the repositories.
>> Again, even with a direct ethernet connection the computer is not
>> reaching the network, but the hardware seems to be configured and
>> working properly.
>>
>> Network access is also not working in gnome or KDE 3.
>>
>> This is a Lenovo s10e netbook with no cd-rom drive, and I do not have a
>> live USB. How can I get network access working again?
>
> and the follow up post where more detail was provided:
> adpads;2062917 Wrote:
>> The wireless adapter is already set to “on cable connection,” while the
>> ethernet adaptor is set to “at boot time.” I don’t see a setting for
>> “auto.” There is no way to save these settings without entering manual
>> settings for the “traditional ifup” method…
>>
>> Also, under the hardware tab, I don’t see a kernel module listed for my
>> wifi card - is this a problem?
>> Using dhclient I am able to acquire an IP address on the command line,
>> but I am still not able to use the network.
>>
> Hopefully by this move, the thread will be more obvious to our
> wireless/network guru’s and will work out ok for those who monitor via
> NNTP.

To the OP: What is the wireless card? Please post the output of ‘/sbin/lspci
-nnv’ for the wireless device. As long as you are using NetworkManager, the
activation settings should not matter; however, the correct settings would be
for wired to be “On cable connection” and wireless to be “On boot”. I switch to
the traditional ifup method, change those settings, and then switch back to NM.

Hi,
Thanks very much for your help!

Sounds right about the settings in Yast network settings; ironically, though, when I try to save changes to the settings there, it says that the package “iw” needs to be installed, and then, when it is unable to reach the repositories to install that package, it aborts without saving changes. Nonetheless, I am able to obtain an IP address from the command line.

The wireless card is a broadcom BCM4312. Here is its output from sudo /sbin/lspci:


05:00.0 Network controller [0288]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
     Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:04b5]
     Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
     Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non prefetchable) [size=16]
     Capabilities: [40] Power management, version 3
     Capabilities: [58] Vendor specific information <?>
     Capabilities: [e0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64-bit+
     Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
     Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
     Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel <?>
     Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number fc-44-4e-ff-ff-99-00-23
     Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
     Kernel driver in use: wl

Also, I see two listings for this wireless device in my yast network settings, one under eth1, which last time I checked claimed to be using the ndiswrapper kernel module, and one, under wifi0, which did not appear to see any kernel module at all. So I am pleased to see that here it says the kernel driver in use is wl .

I guess we need to get the network at least up and running enough to download that missing “IW” package?

Thank you
adpads[/size]

Nothing?

Honestly, a supported distribution upgrade breaks my basic network services, no reply in the forums - if I wind up having to do a clean reinstall, I wonder if I should stick with opensuse?

I have booted from a USB, enough to run a network install. I ran an “update” to opensuse factory, but the outcome is the same: network still doesn’t work.
One step forward: It no longer asks to install the package “iw”. One step back: “broadcom-wl” drivers for the wireless don’t appear to be there anymore.

So… I am very grateful to any help you can offer to get this production machine running again. Otherwise it’s a clean wipe of the root partition…

I guess you should buy an external dvd drive?

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:56:01 +0000, adpads wrote:

> Nothing?
>
> Honestly, a supported distribution upgrade breaks my basic network
> services, no reply in the forums

Patience, the people who were helping you (or who may have an idea) may
not have been in here in a day or so. Forums are not “real time”
support, and are handled by the community at large.

There should rarely be need to do a “wipe and reinstall”.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

Wireless with encrypted APs was broken in 11.2 M7, and there was a problem with
/etc/resolv.conf in M1, but both have been fixed. You can test the latter by
deleting that file. It will be recreated the next time you connect.

There have also been reports of wireless not working with ifup networks when
both wired and wireless interfaces are set to connect on boot. That problem is
not unique to openSUSE.

I found this thread with the same problem I am facing.
Any how with a DSL Modem and a wired connection ( eth0).
Nvidia chipset network card.
After an update was the internet connection broken.
I install OS11.2 complete ( no update) and I am still not get a working network.
Under the old 11.1 was everything OK.:sarcastic:
Additional details can I sent in the afternoon.
THX
Juan

Well! I’ve just had an experience to turn my hair grey…
In the absence of a solution to this problem, I tried to solve it with a fresh reinstall of openSUSE Factory on the root partition of my computer, leaving the /home partition untouched. Guess what that lovely installer did… oops! It deleted the partition table entry for my 450GB /home partition, containing, in brief, my entire life.
Well, you can imagine my concern - particularly as I had houseguests arriving in mere minutes for a long stay, and work to get done.
That was two days ago. Gparted and parted were no help; all appeared completely lost. Finally, through some miracle, TestDisk, running off a Parted Magic live USB, was able to find and restore my all-important and beloved 450GB /home partition.
Thank God I am never going to have to do another openSUSE distribution upgrade.
I have reinstalled the module for my wifi card, and network is now once again functioning in Factory, after a week on the bench for my all-important machine.
Probably the most stressful upgrade I’ve ever had - more like open lung surgery. I think I might be installing another distro and dual-booting just to be on the safe side.
a

Well DONE in getting it back. I feel for you.

May I humbly suggest you invest in an external USB hard drive, and backup your /home, … your “life” as you put it?

I never do the upgrade either. I’m in the clean install camp, WITH a backup. :slight_smile:

glad to read its working now.

On 11/13/2009 12:26 PM, oldcpu wrote:
>
> adpads;2065398 Wrote:
>> Well, you can imagine my concern - particularly as I had houseguests
>> arriving in mere minutes for a long stay, and work to get done.
>> That was two days ago. Gparted and parted were no help; all appeared
>> completely lost. Finally, through some miracle, TestDisk, running off a
>> Parted Magic live USB, was able to find and restore my all-important and
>> beloved 450GB /home partition. Well DONE in getting it back. I feel for you.
>
> May I humbly suggest you invest in an external USB hard drive, and
> backup your /home, … your “life” as you put it?
>
> adpads;2065398 Wrote:
>> Thank God I am never going to have to do another openSUSE distribution
>> upgrade. I never do the upgrade either. I’m in the clean install camp, WITH a
> backup. :slight_smile:
>
> adpads;2065398 Wrote:
>> I have reinstalled the module for my wifi card, and network is now once
>> again functioning in Factory, after a week on the bench for my
>> all-important machineglad to read its working now.

The OP also needs to pay more attention to what the installer is going to do
with the disk.

Hey, thank you all for your help, and I am sorry for my impatience with you all while I was working through this problem. I am writing from a fully functioning openSUSE factory install.

Still not sure what the solution for the original network problem would have been - again, there was no way to alter the yast network settings, as the system wanted to install the “iw” package from the repos, but there was no network to install the package with.

In the later partition table scenario, I am quite sure that I had set the installer correctly, and was very careful not to accept the default option, which would have been to erase the /home partition. The ASCII text interface on the network install from a live USB certainly did tell me that it would leave the /home partition untouched and create an entry for it in /etc/fstab, which it did. I am grateful that it did not overwrite the data, but don’t know what it did with the partition table.
Perhaps a GUI for that installation process would smooth things out for intermediate and beginning users. Dangerous stuff!

Thank you again for your help, and sorry again for my intemperance!

a

Hey, thank you all for your help, and I am sorry for my impatience with you all while I was working through this problem. I am writing from a fully functioning openSUSE factory install.

Still not sure what the solution for the original network problem would have been - again, there was no way to alter the yast network settings, as the system wanted to install the “iw” package from the repos, but there was no network to install the package with.

In the later partition table scenario, I am quite sure that I had set the installer correctly, and was very careful not to accept the default option, which would have been to erase the /home partition. The ASCII text interface on the network install (live USB created with unetbootin from an openSUSE factory .iso CD image) certainly did tell me that it would leave the /home partition untouched and create an entry for it in /etc/fstab, which it did. I am grateful that it did not overwrite the data, but don’t know what it did with the partition table.
Perhaps a GUI for that installation process would smooth things out for intermediate and beginning users. Dangerous stuff!

Thank you again for your help, and sorry again for my intemperance!

a

Hey, just registered an account here because I’ve been following this (and other similars) thread, and finally came out with half a solution that I’d like to share with you and anyone who gets frustrated by the same trouble.

First of all, known bugs are TWO and different:

  • KNetworkManager routes bug.
  • KNetworkManager enable wireless bug.

The first one is, as said in this thread, fixed in the updated release of KNetworkManager.
The question everyone seems to ask is: “how can I get the update since I have no network???”. That is part of the true. Actually, with cable connection at least, disabled IvP6 and given KNetworkManager to manage connections, we DO HAVE a connection to the router.
What we do not have, is a nameserver lookup. So basically, we can not access google.com. But if we try with Google’s IP (Google)… Ta-daaaaa!

SO, back to the point: how can we get the update? In YAST, just edit the update repository and change download.opensuse.org into 195.135.221.130.
As easy as it is. Skip other repos, you’ll be able to get them later, when the net is up and working.

Now just start all the updates from YAST, then reboot.

Ok, we got it: wired connection with DNS lookup.

Now the second bug: we can connect through our cable, but we can not “enable wireless” (grey disabled option on KNetworkManager menu). No enables, no connections.
The funny thing is this is just a non-fixable bug; chances are that if you can not “enable wireless”:
a) you have no wireless adapters connected. > Connect one.
b) you are on a laptop, with wireless adapter turned off. > Turn it on.
c) you are on desktop/laptop with TWO wireless adapters. Maybe the first one integrated (with its own on/off switch), the other just an USB with no switches.

Well, if you’re the C case, take off the USB/PCMCIA adapter, just turn on the integrated wlan, wait 5 seconds and… Ta-daaaaaa! Wireless is up and running.

Still not enabled? Ok, try with “ifconfig wlan0 up”, maybe your wlan adapter is still sleeping. Wait 5 seconds again and… Well, ta-daaaaaa! Wireless is finally running.

Seems like KNetworkManager requires that if ONE adapter has a on/off switch, BOTH adapters have to got an on/off switch, otherwise no chances to enable wireless.

THAT is insane.
Don’t come back to 11.1, just follow the previous lines and you all will be ok. Gonna post this on other threads like this.

Peace.

Hey AngeloVanilla,

Just wanted to thank you (maybe 5 months late) because I have finally seen your post in this thread.
For now I think I’m going to stick with Fedora on the computer this thread was about, but I’m just getting ready to give opensuse 11.2 another try, this time on my home computer.
I’m glad to see the community looking after each other this way, and that’s why I’m coming back.
Cheers!
a

just had a similar situation. I ended up switching the wireless card option to “On Boot” and rebooting, it solved my issue. Symptoms seemed similar… had to reboot though.