update Suse11.0 to 11.3 on older laptop

Hi all,

unfortunately, I don’t know much about Suse linux and thus would appreciate some help on the following problems:

My laptop is a Medion MD 96970 (bought at Aldi in September 2008) with

• graphic card nVidia GeForce 9300M G
  • processor Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
  • 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
  • 3GB RAM and 300 GB memory
  1. Originally, my laptop came with Windows Vista. Then I got a SUSE linux 11.0 CD, let it make a partition and installed Suse 11.0.
    Since Suse11.0 isn’t updated any further I would like to change to Suse 11.3 (or whatever is newer). How should I proceed? (I can’t find my old Windows Vista CDs and would like to KEEP THE PARTITION, thus formating all isn’t an option)

2. In order to make a backup I bought a portable hard drive from iomega (USB 2.0). Then I noticed that it is formated in NTFS. SUSE 11.0 doesn’t seem to like it — what should I do? Can I reformat it somehow?

3. Suse 11.0 doesn’t like my sound card. Thus I couldn’t Skype or listen to music — do you know if this problem is solved under Suse 11.3?

Best & Thanks,

Sonja

So, running your old SUSE 11.0, why not run the following commands so we can tell you what we might advise. Open up a terminal session and type these commands:

cat /etc/fstab
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
su -
password:
fdisk -l

This would provide enough info to help. Basically, if you maintained a separate /home area, I might suggest a new install, on top of the old, but to not format your /home area. Else, I might suggest you select an upgrade, on top of your existing setup. There are some potential issues, but we most likely could get you through them. The information requested can be large. So, go into the Advanced message editor, highlight all of your text from the requested commands and press the code “#” button. It makes the text much easier to deal with and good luck.

Thank You,

Thank You,

Thanks for your reply, I get:

hohloch@linux-86jj:~> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-_WD-WXE508KH7107-part6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-_WD-WXE508KH7107-part3 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-_WD-WXE508KH7107-part4 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-_WD-WXE508KH7107-part2 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=de_DE.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-_WD-WXE508KH7107-part5 /windows/D vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
hohloch@linux-86jj:~>
hohloch@linux-86jj:~> cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
cat: /boot/grub/menu.lst: Keine Berechtigung
hohloch@linux-86jj:~> su -
Passwort:
linux-86jj:~ # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Mar 8 12:12:49 CET 2010

default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,2)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.0 - 2.6.25.20-0.7
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.20-0.7-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-_WD-WXE508KH7107-part3 resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent showopts vga=0x314
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.20-0.7-default

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.0 - 2.6.25.20-0.7
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.20-0.7-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-_WD-WXE508KH7107-part3 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume edd=off x11failsafe vga=0x314
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.20-0.7-default

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1
linux-86jj:~ #

To check how your hardware works with openSUSE 11.3 you could use a liveCD from software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.3
you can also use this for the backup, as it can read and write to NTFS, and you can install from it.
Check the md5sum of the download matches the one at the above link, opening the file with k3b will show the md5sum.
Also choose the option to check the installation media when you first boot the liveCD.

The Line below from your fstab file tells me you could do a new install, keeping your old /home partition and manually telling the partitioner to not format it.

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-_WD-WXE508KH7107-part4 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2

The basic issue is if you understand enough to force openSUSE to use the very same partitions and to not create any new ones. It is the one thing that doing an upgrade does for you as it knows to keep the partitions the same. One thing, your Windows entry does not look correct, but I suppose it works in your menu.lst file. Here is what I think it should say:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

But you can work on this at a latter date. So, you gave us two of the commands, but not the fdisk -l, perhaps you were confused by the password line as you do not enter the word password, when you enter su -, the password prompt comes out for you were you must enter the root user password in order to run the fdisk -l command, why not try it again.

su -
password:
fdisk -l

Thank You,

I would do a fresh install, upgrading from 11.0 to 11.3 is just too much in one step.
To be safe (once you have completed your backup) just ensure the only partition formatted during install is the root partition ‘/’
As James mentioned can we see** fdisk -l **(lower case letter l) Please use code tags( the video in link also uses fdisk -l for the demo ).

I suspect we can get sound working with no problem. Still, you could provide more information on the sound and we can confirm that. There is a diagnostic script that provides more information on sound that comes with every openSUSE release that has alsa-1.0.17 and newer. Unfortunately openSUSE-11.0 only came with alsa-1.0.16 and it does not have the script. But that is not a problem.

With your PC connected to the Internet (and assuming wget is installed), download and execute the script with:

wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh 

Select the ‘SHARE/UPLOAD’ option.

If you do not have wget installed, then 1st (before the above command) install it with:

su -c 'zypper in wget' 

and enter root password when prompted.

After executing the "wget -O alsa-info.sh … etc … " command above, that will give you a URL address. Please post that URL here.

… some clarification on running the script “alsa-info.sh” … when you run:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

you should get something like this (if it asks for an update, select NO):
http://thumbnails33.imagebam.com/9280/a5973e92794041.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (select the SHARE/UPLOAD option):
http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/9280/5e84f992794044.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (its quickest if you simply select ‘NO’ to seeing the output - you will see it on the web page) :
http://thumbnails32.imagebam.com/9280/214da092794048.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (where in RED is the URL).
http://thumbnails23.imagebam.com/9280/d9858092794051.jpg](ImageBam)

Just post the URL/webaddress you get (similar to the RED URL in my example, but yours will be different).

With that web address/URL with the diagnostic information on your PC’s sound we can give you an accurate sound assessment.

Thanks & Sorry for my late reply (lots of work…)

I get:

hohloch@linux-86jj:~> su -
Passwort:
linux-86jj:~ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x19f509e3

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1           35954       38913    23776200    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda2               1       14107   113306445    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3   *       14107       16718    20972826+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4           16718       35953   154513169+  83  Linux
/dev/sda5           35954       37823    15012742    b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sda6           37823       38084     2104483+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdc: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x4e1d2746

/dev/sdc1               1       38913   312568641    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdd: 8011 MB, 8011087872 bytes
32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7761 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 = 1032192 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x335d3b38

/dev/sdd1               1        7761     7823056+   b  W95 FAT32

Disk /dev/sde: 4005 MB, 4005560320 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 15280 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sde1               1       15280     3911664    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
linux-86jj:~ #      

Sorry for the silly question, but how do I check the download with md5sum and k3b? (I am a complete Linux beginner… sorry!) Since my Suse11.0 is sometimes causing problems with burning CD’s etc. — can I also download and burn it with Windows? How do I know if I need the 32 bit or the 64 bit version?

It looks like you are booting Linux from sda3 which is also the root / partition and your /home is sda4.

/dev/sda3   *       14107       16718    20972826+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4           16718       35953   154513169+  83  Linux

If you do an update, it should maintain your present setup as is. If you do a new install, you will need to go into custom partitioning and instruct the openSUSE Partitioner to mount sda3 as root / and format it and make sda4 your /home folder and to NOT format it. I expect you have generic boot code loaded into your MBR (Master Boot Record) and you are loading the grub boot loader into the sda3 root / partition, which is also marked bootable. If you are not comfortable with a custom partition setup where you abandon the suggested one, then try an update instead. Everything I have said here is important to understand so ask questions.

Consider you can even start the installation, to see what is says/asks, just don’t press that final button to install. You can pull the boot disk before then and reboot without a problem. However, if you proceed with the install, DO NOT STOP it then, but let it complete.

Thank You,

Thanks!

I get

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ed6e9b5a56baf33cc6c8b3bffb0d8a12a26207bc

Thanks for the info!

And another silly question: What exactly is the difference between an ‘update’ and an ‘new install’? More precisely, which software do I need for which option and where do I get it? I only know the 4.7 GB DVD which can be downloaded at software.opensuse.org: openSUSE 11.3 herunterladen. Do I need the 32 bit or the 64 bit version?

By now, I have a backup of my data. Thus I could delve probably tomorrow into the adventure of updating/ new installing…

Thanks for the info!

And another silly question: What exactly is the difference between an ‘update’ and an ‘new install’? More precisely, which software do I need for which option and where do I get it? I only know the 4.7 GB DVD which can be downloaded at software.opensuse.org: openSUSE 11.3 herunterladen. Do I need the 32 bit or the 64 bit version?

By now, I have a backup of my data. Thus I could delve probably tomorrow into the adventure of updating/ new installing…
Doing an update tries to preserve all running applications and updating only those that belong to the new openSUSE version. It does work and is mostly successful. Sometimes, files that need to be updated, that belong to some loaded application, may not get updated. For instance, I remember a person with a messed up Firefox after the update. We had to install the Mozilla Repository and switch to it, forcing all files for Firefox to be updated. You never know just what might not be updated properly. Again, it is mostly successful and nothing says anything will have a problem after an update.

Doing a new install is the most successful without a doubt and when you maintain a separate /home area, it is almost a sure thing to do almost the same thing for you as an update by maintaining all of your settings. You must reload any applications not in the main OS install when you do a new install, but your old settings still exist in your home area to be used when the application is reinstalled. One problem with a new install is that openSUSE is trying to put yet another copy on your PC by shrinking partitions and not over writing anything. This is why you have to go into custom partitioning to force it to write over your old copy because you do not want to keep the old version and it is OK to use your old /home folder without formatting it. It takes more effort and knowledge to write over an existing installation of openSUSE.

Thank You,

Thanks for your patience!

So if I choose the ‘new install’ (I heard some bad stories about not working updates…) I have to do the following (?):

1. download the OpenSuse 11.3 DVD and burn it as ISO (?) (WHICH VERSION? 32 bit or 64 bit?)

2. Put it into the DVD drive & restart the laptop

3. The laptop boots (hopefully) via DVD and starts the set-up menu (what if not?)

4. What exactly do I tell the Partitioner? (How do I get into custom partitioner — does it come up automatically?)
    You said previously : ‘instruct the openSUSE Partitioner to mount sda3 as root / and format it and make sda4 your /home folder and to NOT format it.’

Does this also PRESERVE the part of the partition with WINDOWS? Or do I have to add further commands?

Moreover you said: ’ I expect you have generic boot code loaded into your MBR (Master Boot Record) and you are loading the grub boot loader into the sda3 root / partition, which is also marked bootable.’

Sorry — but what/how exactly do I have to do? (Never heard of MBR and grub boot loader before…, sorry…)

1. Does something else important come up or does the setup then automatically install the sound card etc? Do I have to reinstall printers etc.?

Best & THANKS

Thanks for your patience!

So if I choose the ‘new install’ (I heard some bad stories about not working updates…) I have to do the following (?):

1. download the OpenSuse 11.3 DVD and burn it as ISO (?) (WHICH VERSION? 32 bit or 64 bit?)
  1. Put it into the DVD drive & restart the laptop
  1. The laptop boots (hopefully) via DVD and starts the set-up menu (what if not?)
  1. What exactly do I tell the Partitioner? (How do I get into custom partitioner — does it come up automatically?)
    You said previously : ‘instruct the openSUSE Partitioner to mount sda3 as root / and format it and make sda4 your /home folder and to NOT format it.’

Does this also PRESERVE the part of the partition with WINDOWS? Or do I have to add further commands?

Moreover you said: ’ I expect you have generic boot code loaded into your MBR (Master Boot Record) and you are loading the grub boot loader into the sda3 root / partition, which is also marked bootable.’

Sorry — but what/how exactly do I have to do? (Never heard of MBR and grub boot loader before…, sorry…)

1. Does something else important come up or does the setup then automatically install the sound card etc? Do I have to reinstall printers etc.?

Best & THANK
It is hard to give exact instructions because I don’t have pictures and don’t remember the exact words you see on the screen. You have three overall selections to be made and I would indeed download the DVD and test it to make sure it boots.

The three mains steps are:

1. You Select Installation and then New Installation.
  2. You modify the Partitioning. You are selecting Custom Partitioning (for Experts) and not using their suggestions. The main thing that makes this work is that in the Partitioner, when you get to it, you are mounting three drives (right click on existing partition and select edit), SWAP (Format is OK), / openSUSE partition (which you must format) and /home which you do not format. You can mount your Windows partitions, where you enter a mount point like /Windows/C, but you do not format them. Then, you select it as being OK.
  3. You setup Your Booting Section. Boot from MBR is disabled & Boot from openSUSE Partition is enabled. I normally go through the various manual screens and set Load Generic Boot code into MBR and to Mark the openSUSE root / partition bootable. These selections will be in the booting section. This should reinforce just how the booting was working for you before.

Just for reference, you can only load the Grub Boot loader into the MBR or partitions 1, 2, 3 or 4. You can not load and boot grub from partition 5 and up. It looks like you should have no problem doing this with your present setup, making the manual choices as I suggest. Again, you can go through these screens, get questions to ask, then abort the install, before the final go, in order to ask questions. You need to take good notes on what the screen was asking to be able to ask a specific question here in the forum.

Thank You,

sonja2011 wrote:

>
> dvhenry;2274263 Wrote:
>> To check how your hardware works with openSUSE 11.3 you could use a
>> liveCD from ‘software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.3’
>> (http://software.opensuse.org/113/en)
>> you can also use this for the backup, as it can read and write to NTFS,
>> and you can install from it.
>> Check the md5sum of the download matches the one at the above link,
>> opening the file with k3b will show the md5sum.
>> Also choose the option to check the installation media when you first
>> boot the liveCD.
>
> Sorry for the silly question, but how do I check the download with
> md5sum and k3b? (I am a complete Linux beginner… sorry!) Since my
> Suse11.0 is sometimes causing problems with burning CD’s etc. — can I
> also download and burn it with Windows? How do I know if I need the 32
> bit or the 64 bit version?

I had mixed results with k3b checking the downloaded image so I always made
sure to re-check the DVD the first time I booted it after burning. That’s
not a bad habit even if k3b tells you the d/l is ok. There is an option to
check the media right on the initial menu when booting from the DVD.

Will Honea

Sorry for the silly question, but how do I check the download with md5sum and k3b? (I am a complete Linux beginner… sorry!) Since my Suse11.0 is sometimes causing problems with burning CD’s etc. — can I also download and burn it with Windows? How do I know if I need the 32 bit or the 64 bit version?
If k3b is giving you trouble don’t use it,
You can download and burn it with windows,
With your hardware you can use either 32 bit or 64 bit.

1. What exactly do I tell the Partitioner? (How do I get into custom partitioner — does it come up automatically?)

You will come to a screen similar to this http://opensuse-guide.org/images/installation/dvd/inst-disk.png
choose “edit partition setup…”.
If you have trouble, either take a photo and post a link to it, or carefully write down the details and post back. I think you will find the procedure clear once you start, If not show us the details BEFORE continuing the install.

Here are a couple of slide shows to give hints. The 11.2 example is more along the lines of what you need to do (It’s basically the same in 11.3 anyway)
Picasa Web Albums - carl fletcher - openSUSE 11.2…
Picasa Web Albums - carl fletcher - 11.3 Slideshow

I note your sound device was not detected at all.

When I surf on the Medion WIM2220 (which is in your PC) I find a few others have written bug reports on the sound not functioning, but then they ALL ignored the bug reports and refused to reply when the alsa developer proposed a fix for testing, … hence after over a year of no reply, the alsa developer simply closed the thread. One needs to support a bug report’s resolution if one want’s to be assured of a fix. Else one is wasting the developers time.

Hence I can’t say for certain this works. I note a couple cases where with a newer alsa version (such as will be in openSUSE-11.3) the alc268 or alc887 was recognized, and by applying a model option in a configuration file the user’s could get sound functioning, but at a very low volume level. But again, all users with this WIM2220 refused to work with the alsa developer to fix the sound/volume problem, so as near as I can tell it still may not work.

When I purchased my Dell Studio 1537 laptop, the headphones did not work properly for ANY linux distro. I wrote a bug report on openSUSE component “sound” , which obtained the attention of the SuSE-GmbH Sound packager (who is also an alsa developer) and within a week it was working properly (after about 6 different patches/fixes myself and another user with the same problem had to try and report back on to the alsa developer) . Once fixed, the alsa developer submitted the fix upstream, and this now works properly for ALL distributions. But the point is if we did not try out the various fixes in my bug report, and if we did not work with the alsa developer in testing, this would not have been fixed.

So I can’t say this will work. It might not. BUT if you try a new Linux distro, you can then work with the SuSE-GmbH packager, and my guess is they will produce a fix to get it working. Guide for writing bug reports is here: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE