update error

kdesu(4681)/kdesu(kdelibs) KDESu::KDEsuClient::command:
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.0.4/kdesu/client.cpp : 196 ] no reply from daemon

Sorry, So do you guys have any idea what that means.
The icon on the taskbar tells me I have new updates. I click to install and get the above error

You installed KDE 4.0 . . . not stable, not advised except for experienced users. You need to either switch to KDE 3.5.9 or upgrade to KDE 4.1. The 4.1 repository is here KDE/Repositories - openSUSE or there is a 1-click install (32-bit only) here KDE/KDE4 - openSUSE.

Note that 4.1.x is under development, so the packages in that repository are not at a fixed “released” level but continue to change. With 4.1.x expect there to be a few problems.

I will gladly swith to the most stable version if you tell me how. Currntly running a 64 bit version, or so I think.

Thanks

so I can go here:
Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_Factory

and get a repo file, but I have no idea what to do with is. I have always just downloaded an install iso and burn it to a dvd.

Is it even possible to go down a version?

so I figured out how to add the repository, but how do I change whatever is wrong?

the onclick installs are all KDE 4.0 isnt that what is wrong with mine?

Ok. Now you know how to add reop’s try adding just this for now - just copy ans paste the link into the add repo section - give it a name like kde 4.1 factory

Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0

Now go to software management - when loaded
filter by repos
select the one you just added
all the packages should be in the right hand area of the page

now go to the package button
and select ‘all in this list - update unconditionally’

there may be dependency issues - if you can’t figure them out you can save them to a file and post back here.
You can quit Yast to start again - so don’t worry.

On the other hand
you might just want to install kde3desktop and kde3base from the patterns section first - that way you have a rock solid desktop to fall back on

you can add this repo later to to update kde3
Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.0

And please disable auto login if you have that enabled!

Ok, So I used the istall cd to revert back to KDE 3 then activated the repository you recominded.

Now, I have 18 security updates available, but when I click install it askes for my password then does nothing.

Use Yast software management
filter by reop
see what is available in updates and the new kde3
choose update all in this list unconditionally

see if that works
I take it you were using the suse updater - don’t.

that seems to be working

how do I disable suse updater?

right click
config
uncheck load at start up

I always use software management and work repos individually - much better

thanks - all better